“Wonderful!”

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #92 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 24, 2013

On a business trip we stayed there for 5 nights and it was excellent. Comfortable quiet rooms, helpful friendly staff, convenient, free sauna and exercise room, free copies of The New York Times, free wine from 5-6 and free coffee and tea in the mornings. Will stay there next year too.

1  Thank Soroti123
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Soroti123,

I am very happy to read your review and we will look forward to seeing you next year. Please feel free to reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.

There are newer reviews for Serrano Hotel

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was at the Serrano during a businnes trip to San Francisco, for three nights. The location is great, right in the center of everything. The hotel is oldish and charming, with good service and courteous personnel. The rooms are rather small, and, when I arrived, I was given one room with two large beds that did not leave any space for moving around, even though it was just me and I had specified that I wanted only one bed. They could not change the room the same day, and I had to repack and move the second day. The second room was identical, but with only one bed. I had noticed that one small item of mine was missing, and I asked them to check in my old room, but with no results.
The stay was good otherwise, but with one unpleasant episode.The day of my departure, I left my luggages in deposit till the late afternoon. When I returned to pick me up, one luggage was damaged, the handle was stuck in the out position, while it was working perfectly before ( it was a new luggage). i had to catch a taxi in a hurry, but the person handling the luggage apologized and said that he would talk with his supervisor and they would get back to me with some form of compensation.I never heard from them again, And I had to throw away the damaged luggage.
I would recommend the hotel as a bood place, but that accident and the fact that they did not get back with me really made a negative impression.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Daniela S
SerranoSF, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Daniela S,

I am so sorry to read about this incident with your luggage, I would really like to talk more about this and find out how Serrano can change that negative impression. Please feel free to reach out to me at jp.pagoadacruz@serranohotel.com so we can talk about it. Again I apologize and I hope that you will find an opportunity to give us another chance at a flawless visit.

J.P. Pagoadacruz

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I liked the Serrano which is saying a lot given how picky I am. Staff is friendly and helpful. Room was very clean including the bathroom. The tub was spotless and trust me, I look closely. Bed was comfy. The decor was classic old San Fran. Great view. Room overall was on the small side but still very workable. Price was very reasonable. Loved the nightly free wine reception. I am a Kimpton member so I got the free wifi and $10 minibar credit which was handy for my chocolate cravings. Location was okay - I little close to some of the riff-raff and pot smokers but not scary, just annoying. Homeless guys kept singing to me - I don't know why.

Dear RDmaker,

I am very glad to hear we impressed. Our team really goes above and beyond to make sure everyone enjoys their stay and feel right at home. We hope to see you again soon.

Deepak Mehra

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my first stay at a Kimpton Hotel and I am definitely happy and look forward to staying at other locations. My first priority was a dog friendly hotel, the Kimpton chain seems to be the most welcoming of all hotels for your furry companions, bonus!

We pulled up and the valet was immediately assisting us with our luggage (2 humans, 2 canines = a lot of stuff) on a busy San Francisco street. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, the wood carved ceilings, inlaid wood beams; beautiful craftsmanship. Our Bellman was terrific, he assisted us with our luggage while we handled our dogs through the check in process, showed us to our room and helped us settle in. He truly alleviated the amount of stress that comes along when traveling with those who require constant supervision.

The room was charming and wonderfully decorated! As to be expected, the rooms are compact, but when visiting San Francisco when space is at a premium, you cannot expect palatial spaces. There was enough space for all of our luggage, 2 dog crates, holiday gifts, and we were all completely comfortable.

The location is great, walking distance to Union Square (where we took the dogs to alleviate themselves); Chinatown. It's next to the Tenderloin district, bustling with loads of people, locals and tourists alike. There is no shortage of markets, restaurants, theaters and bars. Take advantage of walking, it offers up the best eye candy.

The dogs liked it too!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear StarrySue,

I am so happy you enjoyed your time at Serrano - our team loves helping everyone out but we especially love seeing our furry friends enjoy their time here. We hope you will be back to visit us soon and please feel free to reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked ourselves into the Serrano for the first night of a long California journey. The location couldn't of been better. The lobby and the room were both very charming and from the minute we arrived we felt as if we were definately in San Francisco. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the beds very comfortable. The hotel offers a wine tasting every evening and coffee in the morning. All this for an affordable price. My only complaint is that we were unable to stay longer!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear ART9511,

We complain about you not staying longer too! Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

A colleague insisted that I stay at the Serrano. Like a big, dumb sheep, I didn't want to lose two nights of HHonors points, but I agreed, and I'm glad I did. This hotel is very boutique-y, like all Kimptons, but it felt like less of a compromise than some Kimpton properties. For instance, the wifi (free for Kimpton members) worked perfectly--10x better, in fact, than a DC Hilton property where I stayed a week before. Extra special bonus kudos for having the New York Times available for free in the lobby.

The Serrano exudes old-world charm from the moment you enter the double doors, with an almost gothic feel. The front desk staff were polite at all times. The very small elevator (seriously, leave the 26" carry-aboard at home) whisked me up efficiently to the 15th floor. I'd elected by email to upgrade if available, and for $6/night, I got a corner room on the high floor with stunning city views on two walls. I was in the xx01 stack, and I recommend a corner if you can get it. I also always recommend a high floor in San Francisco, as the street noise is worse there than New York...must be all the loud gays and hippies having sex in the streets. That was a joke.

The room itself was very small, but not claustrophobic thanks to very high ceilings. Just don't leave the closet door open when you leave, or the room door won't open. Really. And if you're emptying your bowels in the morning, be prepared to have the bathroom door swing into your knees. Cozy!

Nice things about the room: There's an iHome iPod/Phone dock, though I can never make those %%^& things play my own music, but I appreciate it being there. The linens are LOVELY--smooth, satiny--and made me want to dump my own 45,667 thread count sheets at home. The flat-screen tv was pretty small, actually, but in a tiny urban hotel room, it was about to scale. I never even sat at the desk but, as I said, the wifi worked great (and free for Kimpton members) and there's a cordless phone too (generic poll: who actually uses a hotel room telephone except to call the front desk?). Kimpton members also get a $10 certificate for the minibar, aka the deathtrap from Sugar Hell. I managed to avoid a lot of temptation except for a Reese's 4-pack and a cool-shaped bottle of spring water by a company called "Fred." The previously mentioned closet sports two robes, some little booties/socklets (I passed) and an umbrella. Nice. And the bathroom, as noted, is just small, there's no getting around it. But the hair/soap products were suitably frou-frou, the towels were fluffy, and there was ample hot water and water pressure.

Beyond the room, I had three meals in the restaurant, which I believe is called Jason. I'm a lame, pathetic business traveler--who eats in the hotel in a city like SF? <Raises own hand> The food was actually really good. I had the same ham/brie/spinach eggwhite omelet both mornings and a really good steak one night. When not stuffing my piehole, I did use the gym twice, and while small, it's absolutely doable and far better than most. There's a sort of robotic-arm machine with about 100 different movements--and it worked! It has been oiled serviced since Obama's first election! There are also several treadmills/ellipticals and a recumbent bike, along with a simple bench and a big rack of dumbbells.

Finally, location: I'd been warned by my client to be careful. As I awoke the next morning and went in search of coffee (there are Starbucks all over, but they literally all open at different times--go figure. The one in the Hotel Nikko opens at 5:00am and is my favorite, both for the nice barristas and the comically aggressive panhandlers) I realized it's literally around the corner from five other hotels in which I've stayed--Monaco, Hilton, Parc 55, Nikko. In short, it's a perfectly safe area.

To top it all off, I paid about $115/night for this room. Now, I miss two nights of HHonors points, but it was actually worth it and I'll definitely consider staying here when I go back for my follow-up visit in April. Kimpton, nicely done.

Room Tip: Always a high floor in SF, and a room in the xx01 stack brings a corner with windows on two walls.
2  Thank shlevine
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear shlevine,

Thank you for the fun review. I am very pleased to find that you enjoyed your stay and we can't wait to see you again soon. Please reach out to us if we can be of personal assistance.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

this was my 2nd stay at the Serrano and 3rd in a Kimpton property. seriously, the Serrano has some of the quietest rooms that I can recall and it is located just a few blocks from Union Sq. and a BART station.
the staff all offers that Kimpton special touch. found out that the amazing lobby decor is not original, although it came up in conversation at the wine social, you'd never know otherwise.
very pet friendly, with a dog treat jar with the newspapers.
guests tend to congregate in the lobby for morning coffee and evening wine.
the business center and exercise room are pretty minimal.
plan to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear JandRLA,

I am very pleased to read your review and find out that you enjoyed your stay. We can count on seeing you again soon, I hope! Let us know if we can ever be of personal assistance for you next visit to our fabulous city.