“charming, great value”

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #91 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We (2 adults and 2 teen aged girls) just spent a weekend at this hotel. I was nervous, based on some of the previous negative reviews; however, we were pleasantly surprised. Like other Kimpton properties, this hotel is charming rather than sleek. We were greeted by a beautiful Christmas tree in the lobby which has several cozy seating areas where you can enjoy their morning coffee/tea service or afternoon wine reception.

check-in was adequate, not exceptional. Our room had two very comfortable double beds. It was not huge, but like the lobby, charming and clean, with soft yellow, cheery wallpaper. the location is great. We had a room on the 5th floor. The "11" series tend to run a big bigger. Not bothered by noise at all. We expected some, being in a downtown location.

also, they have three daily newspapers (SF Chron, WSJ and NYT) and even had the Sunday Times and Chron. Loved it.

Parking is expensive, but standard for the city.

All in all, an excellent value (we got a hotwire deal)

On the edge of the tenderloin, so a bit gritty. Having spent several years in SF, I appreciate the neighborhood for what it is, but if you are bothered by seeing the occasional homeless person, then stay closer to union square.

Room Tip: rooms ending in "11" tend to be bigger
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank a1wang
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear a1wang,

Bummer... we strive for perfection and I would have hoped your check-in was exceptional, but I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you will be back soon. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I'm a big fan of Kimpton Hotels, and so I am inclined to give positive reviews of their properties, but the Serrano really shines with friendly, helpful front desk staff and a very cozy atmosphere. The big, decorated Christmas in the middle of the lobby creates a great first impression. As other guests have said, the lobby is beautiful, full of comfortable couches and seats and perfect for relaxing during their daily hosted wine receptions or reading the free New York Times over coffee during the daily free coffee service. Jasper's restaurant also is a comfortable, casual bar-restaurant with very good food. There was a great, boisterous, and joyful crowd in Jasper's during a Monday night football game, and even eating alone I was having a good time. I have no doubt that some rooms in this typical-for-Kimpton converted older hotel are small, but my corner room was huge and light-filled. My only complaint was that the selection of basic cable did not include HBO. I had a small sad over that.

I have to comment on the Serrano's location on the edge of the Tenderloin. As a 6 foot tall guy, I never felt at all insecure walking near the hotel, and if you only head to the east or north of the hotel, there should be no problem. Unlike other reviewers, I never saw anyone actually smoking crack near the hotel. In addition, there was a doorman at the front door every time I was there. Undoubtedly, a single woman would not want to head west from the hotel into the Tenderloin, but Union Square, with thousands of tourists, excellent restaurants, and world-class shopping, is only two blocks east of the hotel. For me, the bottom line is that this is a very nice Kimpton hotel, with excellent service, and hopefully people won't pass it over because it is on the edge of, but not in, a rough neighborhood.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank DavidBradley

Dear DavidBradley,

We couldn't have said it best ourselves. Thank you for your comments - I will, however, see what I can do immediately about that HBO! We hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's not easy to find a great hotel in San Francisco at a reasonable price, but the Serrano manages to do it. The hotel is in an old building with small rooms but the Serrano manages to make the most of their real estate. The rooms are nicely decorated, with comfortable beds, free WiFi, good HVAC, and as quiet as a room can be in San Francisco. For this stay, I was on the top floor, so the sirens were far in the distance.

What sets the Serrano and its sister Kimpton hotels apart is the service and the happy hour. The desk staff are friendly and always helpful, as are the concierge and valet. Each evening at 5:30, the hotel lobby is full of guests mingling with a glass of wine, courtesy of the hotel. On this visit, the hotel also offered complimentary hot cider spiked with bourbon.

I've stayed here a few times. Guests always seems jovial and friendly at the happy hour. This time seemed even more festive because of the holiday decorations and huge Christmas tree in the center of the lobby.

If you travel a lot, you might want to check out other hotels in the Kimpton group. Their loyalty program is great. After only 7 stays you get a free night. Kimpton members also get some sort of gift on check in. At various times I've gotten a bottle of wine or other treat. On this visit the Serrano gave me a box of mints and a $10 credit for the minibar.

Room Tip: San Francisco is a noisy city, so I advise a room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DigitalRabbit

Dear DigitalRabbit,

I am very pleased to read your review, sounds like you have a good time at our charming property. Come back and visit us soon. Happy holidays.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very enjoyable stay. Staff (JP and all) very welcoming. Lots of personal touches make you feel at home. Easy to get to Bart for transportation. Short walk to Union Square for shopping / Christmas atmosphere. Love the Christmas tree in Serrano lobby, nice setting for wine happy hour each evening. Large corner room, great pillows and bed. Will definitely make a return visit. Try Jasper's their restaurant good food good value too

• Stayed: December 2012
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Rob1a,

Thanks for the awesome review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay here! We are all so proud of our gorgeous tree and we hope that everyone gets to enjoy it during our hosted wine reception.

Please come back and see us soon and feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nice location..right in the downtown. helpful staff. Stayed in oct 2012 during business conference when all the hotels in downtown were booked. Had to pay a premimum to get the hotel room booked here because of its location. Rooms are small and the hotel has an old look. There was no remarkable view from the room. The complimentary coffee service was good. Overall a nice stay.

Room Tip: Room on higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank pulse30

Dear pulse30,

Thanks for your review, I wish you could have had an amazing time with us. I hope you will get to come back soon and we will make your stay at Serrano unforgettable.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stay was OK - just OK. The first room they shuttled us to still had the vacuum cleaner and linens strewn all over the place. Once we let them know they moved us to another room and gave us 2 complimentary drink coupons. Staff were friendly until we actually had an issue and then they were defensive and unable to offer any customer service. Our main issue is with their Valet parking service. We called down for our car 10 minutes before we checked out. 35 minutes and 2 inquiries later, our car finally appeared. This delay made us very late for a family hospital visit. What was most irritating was that the staff could care less nor did they offer an apology or any sort of customer service compensation for the inconvenience. We will not stay here again because of their customer service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank laineybrd
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Laineybrd,

I am sorry to read you didn't fully enjoy your stay. Hopefully you will find another opportunity to visit us again.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

First off the staff were great, and couldnt be faulted.

View of a concrete wall and alleyway was disapointing from 3rd floor room. Australian travellers beware of location, not as close to union square as you may think. Wouldnt dare leave the hotel after dark...

On first arrival, we instantly had a bad feeling. We had to drive through the so called tenderloin to get to the hotel. This neighbourhood is very rough. The best part of the hotel is the lobby Then it goes down from there. Although the hotel is very clean, the bathrooms and room in general are small and outdated. We had a dividing door to the next room therefore could hear kid screaming and smell cigarette smoke coming under the door.

The toilet you have to sit on an angle because of its close proximity to the wall. The shower floods everytime you have a shower being a bath/shower and we found the bath only drained when it wanted too...

We felt very unsafe staying here for 4 nights i would reccomend to stay near pier39/ the wharf. The serrano can only work with what its got being an older building ( and the neighbourhood its in ). Updating rooms is a must.

The connecting resturant was great. sitting at the window in the resturant will give you a good idea at what your in for on the outside. You get hit up for money and smokes when exiting most buildings and c stores by bums and crackheads.

For the money your paying for staying here, there are many better options around san francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view, high level room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple