“great service”

Ranked #97 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“great service”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I did realy enjoy my stay at the hotel. Great service always ready to help. Rooms where nice and no noise. Lots of great places to eat just around the corner. My best recomendations. Walking distance to Union Square.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank csvane
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear csvane,

Thank you for your kind comments, we hope to see you again soon.

J.P. Pagoadacruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in early October 2012. The Tenderloin location is not charming, but it's not bad either -- and reasonably close to the BART stops on Market, the Civic Center, etc. Elegant old-fashioned lobby with strong morning coffee and a nice California wine happy hour. Room and bathroom were smallish, but comfortable and well-appointed. Decent basement gym. Friendly service. We'd come back again.

Clancy, Montana
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed 6 nights at the Serrano while attending a conference at the Hilton. Service was great- very warm and genuine. I took full advantage of both the free offerings -morning coffee and evening wine. Both were good quality & sure can't beat the price! Also used the fitness room several times. Good quality machines, everything worked. I had a few special requests during my stay & they were very gracious. Highly recommend this hotel if you need to be in this area. It does border the Tenderloin & so there are quite a few street people wandering the area. Also probably not the best place for kids (no pool, rooms on the small side, etc.)

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Heather Z,

Thank you for stopping by our Tripadvisor page and for recommending us. I am very happy to read your review an find out you enjoyed your stay here.

Please feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed here in late September 2012 and was very pleased with the hotel. It is a bit older and you can tell by the elevators and hallways. But the hotel was clean, and well kept. The lobby was nice and was a great place for the daily happy hour!

The staff was great. From helping us to find a restaurant to getting us a taxi to providing directions.

The rooms were nice too. Classic Kimpton style. Clean, a bit funky but with personality.

The hotel is in an area of the city that has a lot of homeless people walking around. There is also a soup kitchen about two blocks away. BUT, ALL hotels in the Union Square area deal with this and I did not experience any issues at all. It's just something to be aware of if you are walking back late at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear geromer,

I am very pleased to read you enjoyed our hotel's 1926 charm, we hope you will come back and visit soon.

Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Central location, easy access to sites by walking or to buses/streetcars. Room was small but extremely clean and bed comfortable. Join the Kimpton rewards for free wifi, found out about it from literature in room not from staff at front desk. Booked the hotel through Hotwire but I found it expensive but San Francisco hotels are quite pricey.
Exceptional Mexican restaurant just up the street on Geary by the name of Colibri.
Also ate at the Grand Cafe corner of Taylor and Geary- excellent meal- try the kale salad.
Arrived on a late flight our first night so ate at Jaspers (hotel restauranat/bar)- friendly staff and bar food was good too.
We were in a room beside the elevator but it was very quiet b/c no other room beside us.
All the car rental places are just down the street on O'Farrell.
Lots of panhandlers/homeless people in area but felt completely safe and had no issues whatsoever.
Would stay here again.

Dear Madogmaddy,

I couldn't have said it best myself. Thanks for your review and we hope to see you again soon. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of personal assistance.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Despite what others have written on TripAdvisor, the location of this hotel was first rate with no "tenderloin" issues. Security aound the hitel entrance is innocuous but certainly present. If you are interested in being close to Union Square, and within walking distance of the other areas of San Francisco off of Union Square, this hotel offers very good accommodation, excellent service, and very clean and pleasant rooms, at an affordable price for San Francisco. You are made to feel very welcome on arrival, and we (my wife and I) were given nice extras like an upgraded room from a queen to a king, a $10 voucher for the mini-bar, morning coffee and afternoon wine in the lobby, along with free wi-fi for joining the Klimpton rewards program at no cost. The rooms are typically small, but all convenieces are there. The lobby is cozy and exquisite (make sure you look at the ceiling) and the adjoining restaurant had a very good menu and seemed busy, although we did not eat there. Parking options are very close at a decent rate for this part of the city, including 24 hour in-and-out valet at $32 per day next door to the hotel. I would not hesitate to come back to this hotel next time I am in San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear fezcan,

Thank you for the review, we would certainly love to have you back soon. Feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights in a "double double deluxe room" with our little boy when we vacationed in SF in August. The room had two double beds, which was very roomy for one 3-year-old, and only barely wide enough for two adults. The room itself had little floor space, but it was cozy and kept warm at night. The room was kept immaculately clean every morning, and the service we received from reception was excellent and helpful. Price-wise, it was reasonable for the location, service and amenities.

The hotel is in a convenient location, but it is adjacent to the Tenderloin so there were unsavoury characters on the streets not far from the hotel. The Tenderloin area is easily avoidable, and the hotel security and doorman did very well in helping me out when I was bothered by one of them while I was locking up the bike near the hotel's entrance.

The free coffee and tea and hot chocolate in the morning was nice, and there's free wine tasting in the afternoon in the lobby. If you join the loyalty program via the Kimpton website before your stay, you'll get free Wi-fi in the room which was convenient. The hotel offers two bicycles for free rental on a first-come-first-served basis, so do ask reception about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to get away from the traffic noise.