“Comfy Spot in Union Square”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #93 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Comfy Spot in Union Square”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a solid hotel with nice rooms and good location. It IS right up by the Tenderloin, but nothing really dangerous - besides, SF appears riddled with bums wherever you go. At least here, you are right by the key transport lines you will need as a SF tourist.

As others have noted, the rooms aren't terribly large, but this is the middle of a busy city. I like the effort to create some character, typical of most boutique hotels. We did pass through during wine hour once, but we were on our way out and too jetlagged to partake. The morning coffee downstairs was nicer than I thought it would be, especially since we were able to catch up with a local friend in town conveniently in the lobby.

The toiletries were from CO Bigelow, which was nice - though odd, since I think of NYC when I see that brand, not SF. The internet is free, but you have to sign up to join the Kimpton Club, or something like that.

The staff were always very friendly, and we heard the attached restaurant was good, though we didn't try it.

It's pretty pricey, as are most of the hotels in Union Square. We got a tolerable rate off hotwire, though definitely not cheap.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear NY2HK,

I am really happy to read your review and find that you enjoyed your stay with us - I think you will have to come back and visit us so you can join in on the wine reception.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance.

J.P. Pagoadacruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for three nights with my parents. The hotel staff are friendly and the lobby makes you feel like you are coming home. Our room was clean though smallish for three people. I liked the wine reception and complimentary tea and coffee in the morning.

A short walk from Union Square on the edge of the Tenderloin district meaning it was easy to find reasonably priced breakfast options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear MariGWIlliams,

I agree, the breakfast options around here are really good, our location is definitely amazing. I hope you will be back to visit us soon.

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

After being in a characterless Hilton for the previous week, this was like a breath of fresh air. The rooms aren't typical American-huge, which is a good thing in some ways but there's still plenty of room. They are clean, and the rooms high up offer a great view (I was on the 17th). The beds are better than the usual. The staff are very friendly, and do the very best to accommodate your requests . Children and pet friendly. A free wine tasting every evening and reasonable prices. What more could you ask for!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Daniel L,

I couldn't have said it best myself! Thanks for your kind comments. We hope you will be back soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a great hotel with friendly and helpful staff. We asked for a quiet room and they obliged. Very comfortable bed in the king sized room we had. Coffee and tea served in reception in a morning. Reception was large enough for us to lounge in. They did wine tasting most evenings but we weren't around to participate. Easy walk to some good choice of places to eat. This hotel borders on a slightly dubious area, but hotel advised where not to go. We paid about £100 each night for this hotel and that seems to be quite cheap for a good quality hotel in SF with a good Tripadvisor rating. We felt we'd struck lucky with this hotel given the poor reputation of a lot of SF hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you want a bit of quiet away from the road.
1 Thank Jilly1970
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Jilly1970,

Thank you for your review. I am very happy to read your kind comments, we hope you will get a chance to come back and see us soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed only for 3 nights but it was a great experience. 7 min walking (or even less) to the union square, large rooms - nice designed, free coffee and tea at the morning in the lobby and wine tasting afternoon. Surely will recommend it !

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Alitka
Jpagoadacruz, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Alitka,

Thanks for recommending us, we certainly appreciate that! But also come back and see us.

Singapore
Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you can book a "valet parking included" package. Parking in central San Francisco is very expensive, especially overnight. Because our car was a SUV we were charged $59.28 per night (incl taxes) and you still have to wait at least 10mins before the car is available. I recommend that you return your rental car after your arrival, most companies have drop-off locations in the vicinity. Use a shuttle to the airport (we paid $11 per head) or hire a new car towards your end of the stay in the city.
The hotel was fine, most points of interest are within walking distance.

Dear SimonSingapore,

I agree with you, San Francisco is such a walkable city that having a car can become more of a burden than it is helpful... unless you're driving out of the city. And I do, also, recommend booking the parking package because that way you will have all your expenses bundled up.

We hope to see you again soon, please feel free to reach out to me if I can be of personal assistance.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights 9/28-9/30 on a pleasure trip. Convenient location off Union Square, neighborhood a bit dodgy at night but nothing unusual for a big city. Very close to Powell Street BART/MUNI stop. Hotel is nicely renovated and has a lot of character, which I prefer over a cookie-cutter chain hotel. Goldfish in the lobby! I arrived late on the 28th and the night auditor checked me in; he seemed a bit surly but he was quick, efficient, and explained the hotel's amenities and services. Comfortable bed, nice desk, attractive decor. I enjoyed being able to control the temperature. Small bathroom, but nice C.O. Bigelow amenities. Bathroom was fully stocked with cotton balls, q-tips, plenty of towels. Would stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear dpenta,

I am really happy to read your kind comments, I am extremely happy to find out you would come back and visit us - Please feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance. We hope we will see you soon.