“Small and old, but nice, and clean, and good deal for the location”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #94 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North Potomac, Maryland
“Small and old, but nice, and clean, and good deal for the location”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Stayed for one week with our family (2 adults and 2 kids - 10 and 7). The deal we got was pretty decent - San Franciso is quite expensive. The location was great - 2 blocks from the cable cars and 3 blocks from Union Square. There were plenty of shops and restaurants within a few blocks. As long as you didn't travel west of the hotel at night, the neighborhood was fine.

The hotel is in an old building, but the outside is getting a makeover. The lobby is beautiful, and the rooms were nice and quiet, but small. The bathroom had next to zero counter space, but the shower came out like a power washer. Beds were comfy, but a little soft. Room had HD satellite TV.

Every evening from 4 to 5 they had free wine, spring-water, and sparkling cider, and very inexpensive happy-hour snacks in the restaurant, which was nice. Staff was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear NPotomac4,

Thanks for taking the time to comment about our hotel. I am very happy that you found us and that you enjoyed your stay with us. You will have to come back to experience the hotel once our little face lift is completed, it is scheduled to be done really soon.

Please feel free to contact me if I can ever assist you with future plans to return to San Francisco.

J.P. Pagoadacruz
Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My family literally just checked out (4/19/11 @ 12P) of two rooms (503 & 507) in what can only be described as a horrendous and mentally scarring stay at Serrano Hotel. Before I recount my experience, I should point out we've stayed at this hotel at least 12 times in the past 6 years, and have enjoyed our stays, but after this trip, never again.

Let me start at the end...and that was getting a call from my out of country family member (visiting from Montreal) that she had bites all over her legs. Uh oh....here we go. We've never experienced bed bugs. We quickly packed (it was a quick overnight trip) and went downstairs to check out and inform front of house that they had issues with bed bugs. What we experienced at that point was disbelief and utter rudeness.

My cousin tried to show the staff member who checked us out (Pam Davis) her bites, but she would have none of it and quickly dismissed our complaints in an extremely rude manner. In the meantime, my 3 year old daughter has bites, as does my mom. All in all, there were 5 of us in two rooms, and eveyone has bites on their legs!

The manager (Jana Syquia) was at least cordial, but she was indifferent to our plight and her only comment was to fill out a report. Ridiculous!

Clearly, the staff at the Serrano do not care about their customers because by not taking us seriously and just looking at our legs for themselves, they are going to continue renting bed bug infested rooms 503 and 507 (and who knows how many other rooms) to unsuspecting travelers with bed bugs.

Shame on you Serrano Hotel and Kimpton Hotel management!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank keviha
serranofom, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear Keviha,

I was disappointed to read your review regarding your recent stay at the Serrano Hotel. I am sorry that you had this experience at our hotel, but I do wish to assure you that rooms 503 and 507 were taken out of service the same day you and your family had departed. A licensed Pest Control company was hired to inspect the rooms and I am happy to inform you that both rooms tested negative for bed bugs or any other infestations.

Although we cannot change the events that happened - I am hopeful that we can regain your confidence in the Serrano. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if your travels ever bring your back to San Francisco.

Jana Syquia
Front Office Manager
Louisville, KY
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Hard to located because of construction. Upon arrival my room was not ready, however the front desk staff member was very friendly and happily provided me with an upgrade that was ready (this was much appreciated after a long day of meetings/travel). This is definitely an older hotel, but the elevator was fast and the rooms were clean and well appointed. The bed is VERY comfortable and sheets very soft. Aveda bath amenities are great. The bar has great happy hour specials on drinks and small bites of food.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 16, 2011

This was my first time travelling to San Francisco and it was to attend a conference at the Hilton. I became sick with a chest cold immediately upon arrival, and without the plush bedding and quiet of my 17th floor room at the Serrano I likely would have missed the entire conference! I stayed in a corner room and it was tiny, but it was perfect for me as I was travelling alone. The bathrobes are delightful and the towels were plush! Not grizzled and over-used like you so often get at hotels.

I'm so glad I stayed at the Serrano for my conference. The Serrano was kitty-corner from the Hilton and included free wi-fi (unlike the Hilton which has twice the room rate!) and unlimited tea in the morning (I came back more than once to fight my cold!) My conference-mates complained of uncomfortable bedding at the Hilton and I slept soundly every night.

Also, the bell-men were the cutest I saw in San Francisco! Quick with a smile and super helpful!

Room Tip: Go high to avoid street noise!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I was really looking forward to liking the Serrano hotel, as a friend highly recommended it. I arrived earlier than standard check-in time and was prepared to leave my bag and so some sightseeing if they could not accommodate me. The clerk at the front desk made a big deal about how I was early, and then gave me a room. I did not need the scolding and it certainly did not serve any purpose other than to give me a poor welcome to the hotel. Even the bellman, who during my stay always had a smile and a greeting, commented on it when he saw me come down from my room a bit later.

The hotel is located just outside an area in San Francisco that provides a great deal of social services to high need people, several of whom were lying on the sidewalk. The quickest route to Market St. and the BART and MUNI is through a few blocks that I would not feel comfortable walking down at night. I was concerned that this area might flow up toward the hotel; it did not. And the bellman suggested walking down O'Farrell St, and not Taylor St, to get to Market St., and this felt safer. I do want to make it clear that the hotel is outside of this area and I was not concerned for my safety there.

The hotel is covered in scaffolding; they are finishing some extensive renovations with some exterior cleaning. I knew about this when I made the reservation and did not notice it during my stay. I had no trouble finding the hotel.

The lobby is large, lush, and to my taste not lighted enough, especially when coming in from the outside on a bright day. But it is something to see and gives the place an old elegance. There are two small elevators to bring you to the rooms (more old elegance). I was given a small room that was quiet and comfortable. The door opened into a small hallway that led right to the bed; the bed was the closest thing to the door. The desk was next, with a small love seat in front of the window. I did not have trouble finding electrical cords and I did spend a bunch of time playing with a puzzle they left in the room (very cool)! Nice television set up with plenty of channels to view, plenty of drawers and closet space to unpack into, and really good internet was available in the room.

A very large bathtub/shower filled about 2/3rds of the bathroom. One downside: the toilet was so close to the wall that I did not fit on it comfortably, and I am a regular size person. I loved the soaps and toiletries provided. Really nice stuff.

The hotel does not have coffee makers in the rooms but does provide a morning coffee service in the lobby.

With the exception of the one clerk who was not having a good week when during my stay, the staff were friendly and helpful. Really excellent. They quickly recognized me as a guest and welcomed me back more than once. This suggested to me that the one clerk was an anomaly.

Sadly, the unpleasant woman who checked me in is my last memory of the hotel. I asked her if she could tell me what the total cost was, and she said "you'll be signing a copy of the bill and the number will be on it". Wow.

Overall, the stay itself was nice and the hotel offers some cool experiences, is quiet, and for me, was very affordable. I'd stay there again if the rate was good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank fenwayman
Cornelius, Oregon
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Had a hard time finding hotel because they are doing construction on outside. On the 2nd call, they finally mentioned the construction. Unless you are in to theater themed rooms, not the place to stay. After visiting sites all day until 10 PM and was cold, just wanted a cup of coffee or tea to warm us up. All they had in the lobby was cold water and no coffee pot in room. Had stayed at another hotel the night we arrived, we were greeted with champagne, snacks & card for our 25th anniv., here not even a welcome to our hotel!! Had asked them to make reservations for shuttle to Oak airport, and after the 3rd time asking, we made them ourselves. The last night was looking for comment card & found the brochure about the InTouch program, which said you could have 2 things from the Honors Bar. Went downstairs to see if they had us as members, which they did. He then gave me a card for the 2 drinks that should have been given at check-in, not 5 hrs. before leaving! Had read reviews from others that they got champagne, chocolates etc. for their anniv. Had made a comment when reserving the room that it was our 25th. We received wine, earrings, desserts...something from every place we went during our 10 day trip. Every time we passed the hotel from the 1st night, we kept wishing we had stayed there. Only a block away, but didn't have to deal with not feeling safe at night. Not the memorable ending we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Unless you like old theater decor, not the place!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 25thannivtrip
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear 25thannivtrip,

I am very disappointed to read your comments and find out that your stay was less than pleasant. It is not how we do things around here and I will definitely make sure that the issues mentioned are addressed properly.

I hope that you will find an opportunity to give the Serrano another chance and please know that you can contact me directly if I can assist you personally with anything.

J.P. Pagoadacruz
jp.pagoadacruz@serranohotel.com
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Super comfy beds, staff helped with bookings and car rentals and printing. 5 to 10 minute walk to Union Square (main shopping & transport hub) and Market Street. Very pet friendly, didn't have time to eat there so don't know about the food but everything else was great. Recent construction works were nearly complete but we didn't notice a thing. Not supermodern, more of a character hotel. Good price online.

• Stayed April 2011
Jpagoadacruz, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2011
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

I am very pleased to read your comments. Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. Our building is definitely full of character.

I wish you would have had the chance to experience Ponzu Restaurant, the menu is outstanding!

I hope your future plans bring you back to the Serrano Hotel, and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Juan-Pablo Pagoadacruz