“The best hotel if you have a dog!”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #34 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We were very pleased that Hotel Nikko allows dogs. Not only is it a high class hotel that allows dogs but they don't charge you a massive fee for having your dog- there is no pet fee.! As a pet owner, I don't appreciate any hotel penalizing me for traveling with a member of my family. Hotel Nikko respects that a pet is a member of your family and therefore I respect their hotel.
The location is great just off Union Square. The hotel is very clean. We were upgraded to a great corner view room for just $15. Every staff member was professional and very friendly. We will stay at this hotel again whether or not we have our dog with us. We also got the Silver Bells package which included valet parking (in and out all you want) in the price of the room. A great value in itself. No bother with parking the car at an outside garage or that additional expense.

2  Thank mreily

Reviewed January 13, 2011

Very close to diversified shopping near Union Square, mall nearby on Market Street, Chinatown a couple of blocks away, many restaurants nearby.

We enjoyed the indoor pool and the excelent breakfast buffet.

Dodn't notice any noise that would wake us up or keep us awake

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Proudad
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Great staff- great accommodations- central location- we will back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The doorman/valet was very friendly. Greeted us right away and helped us with our luggage. Check in was quick and easy and when we got to our room the luggage was just arriving. We all know that is unusual! Had a small problem with internet, called the operator and the engineer was there in minutes. Problem was on my end but he was polite enough not to mention it. Overall great experience.

Reviewed January 12, 2011

We decided to go to San Francisco to celebrate the new year and decided to stay somewhere new and Hotel Nikko did not disappoint. The staff was courteous and the rooms were very clean and spacious. We loved that it was near lots of great restaurants and shopping. Would highly recommend it. Free Internet use. Indoor pool in San Francisco is a great amenity.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights with my partner in a Imperial Club 1 bed room. The perks of the imperial club room are worth it -especially if you plan on eating the breakfast buffet using the internet, or having some wine/snacks in the evenings. For the few extra dollars each night, its not a bad deal at all considering the cost of meals in the area.

Pros:

*The location is near numerous transportation options such as the subway, cable car, bus stops, and trolley. Stops for either the cable car or trolley can take you to the ferry station or the Fisherman's Warf. Very close to financial district and plenty of brand name shopping is in the area.

* In general the rooms were quite spacious. Bathrooms didn't feel cramped at all and were well lit. Bed felt just right. The CD player in the room was also a nice touch. Internet speeds were decent and did not experience any timeouts on my connection. Flat screen TV was more then adequate.

*Hot water and plumbing in general worked fine. HVAC unit was quiet. We used the heater most of the time and it worked great.

* Maids kept the rooms clean. No shortage of clean towels.

* There is a plethora of car rental places around this hotel. There's an Enterprise in the hotel building. If that doesn't meet your needs, there's a Hertz and Dollar across the street from the hotel.

* Service was good. A fridge was wheeled out to us free of charge for storing water and other drinks we purchased.

* Our floor was very quiet. Did not hear any neighbors during our stay.

* Checking in and out of the hotel was quick and painless.

* Concierge was very helpful in getting our boarding passes printed out.

* Breakfast buffet is decent. I thoroughly enjoyed it every morning.

Cons:

* Parking is expensive. However, there is a parking garage across the street from the hotel that is much cheaper.

* Pool is shallow, run down. The pool area needs to be revamped. The lining that keeps the water in the pool is faded and the tiles in the pool area need to be scrubbed for mildew and dirt. It just looks like this area hasn't been maintained well for such a nice hotel. Pool is also very shallow - about 3-4 ft deep at most.

All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2011

This is a great location for staying in downtown. Had booked through their website and opted for the upgrade after the booking process. When I checked in, the upgrade price had changed to 40$. I mentioned to the check in staff that I was told about the price and would like to pay that price but she said, this is the price, nothing can be done. I accepted the prices because I just got in from Crescent City, CA, and just wanted to rest. Rooms didnt have house slippers and bathrobes and called housekeeping. That service was fast and good. Great view and good rest in the rooms. Eventhough the rooms were smaller, the bathrooms were better in size.

Checking out was another issue. I was helped by Mr Tashima and I had JAL coupons as a form of payment. As I had booked with the "parking" package, I thought all was included. But I had to pay for additional fees for parking. I refused to pay the additional fees because that was not agreed upon booking or at checking in. I had to convinced Mr Tashima with printouts and emails to remove the charges. He agreed.

When converting my JAL coupons( Yen <-> USD ), he made a calculation error and I mentioned to him. He was shaking his head and was rather rude and mentioned that this was how the calculation was done. I asked him for the exchange rate he had and showed him on my cell phone that the value he got was wrong. He finally accepted after he tried on his calculator a few times.

I also mentioned that I do get my mileage points for this stay and he said, "we will see if its accepted by the Airline". I mentioned to him that the website said this stay will be credited by JAL. Its 2011 and I have not seen it and the Airlines said they have not recieved any such point credits.

Overall stay was great minus the check in staff.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple