“Great Room, Great Facilities, kind of awkward location”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #34 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Actually, to be fair, the location is right next to Union Square and probably by all normal standards pretty excellent, since it's convenient and there are shopping and food options, but it wasn't a very pretty area. The hotel itself, though, was pretty great. It kind of annoyed me that we had to pay extra to use the gym and pool, but the facilities were worth the extra cost and the on-site restaurant is very good. My room was spacious, on a good floor, with very comfortable bedding, an ample mini-fridge and a great bathroom. Reception was very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Picotin W
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Picotin,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our gym and pool facilities and our restaurant, ANZU.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My girlfriend had never been to San Francisco (recent transplant from Wisconsin) so I took her for a romantic weekend, renting a car one-way from Los Angeles on Friday morning. We drove up along the coast all the way which was breathtaking and flew back on Sunday.

I booked a room through the local Hotel Nikko reservation office instead of the 800 number a few weeks before going.
She was very helpful and had fulfilled my higher floor request upon check in.
I was able to get a price comparable to what booking web sites were offering without worrying about being treated as a "second class" guest when I arrived there.
I believe it makes a difference booking directly with the hotel, especially when it comes to getting upgrades.

The room, view, and especially the king bed was great.
The whole place is pretty slick and sexy.
Didn't use any of the amenities such as the pool or gym (a reasonable $20 add for the length of your stay)
Didn't need the WiFi for my 3G iPad either.

The concierges were extremely helpful.
They would draw maps, recommend and call restaurants for reservations, and were just very welcoming.

We will return!

Room Tip: The hotel is hushed and quiet. Our room on the bay side was very quiet, at least on the outside!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob R
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Rob,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review. Our staff strives to provide the best experience to each of our guests and we’re very happy to hear that you and your girlfriend were well taken care of during your romantic weekend!

Come back soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in a petite queen, the room was slightly small but comfortable and nice. The hotel staff were friendly and the location was amazing.
Not the most outstanding hotel experience but no complaints either except maybe that the WiFi wasn't included- I really think that for hotels that charge this kind of rate, WiFi should be included.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aileneoh

Dear aileneoh,

Thank you so much for your comments regarding the cost of WiFi, which I’ve forwarded to our management staff. We always appreciate guest input.

We are happy that you enjoyed our central location by Union Square and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Hotel nikko is a great place to stay. Close to shopping and all transportation. Concierge was the best. Great restaurant recommendations. The rooms are clean and updated. Would definitely return. I requested a high floor which I was given.

Room Tip: Request a high floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ew321
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Hello ew321,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! I'm delighted to hear our concierge was so helpful to you - they strive for 5 star service every time!

Hope to see you back soon!

Thanks!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

The downside to San Francisco hotels is the price. All are expensive! This was a nice hotel located in a good area with a Starbucks on the lower level. The staff was nice and accommodating, and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Dean W.,

Thanks for taking a moment of your time to review us. I'm glad to hear our staff took good care of you and you enjoyed our central location!

We hope to see you back very soon - have a great week!

Thanks!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Hotel Nikko is my favorite place to stay when I go to San Francisco. It is steps away from the heart of Union Square and has great shopping nearby. You can walk almost anywhere from this location. The rooms are very reasonably priced and very modern and spacious. I usually opt for the included breakfast - which is great. Very international with savory and sweet choices. The club level is a good deal too. There is a fun bar/cabaret club that is funky and fun with great bartenders and cool bites to eat. The staff and concierge are extremely polite and helpful. Overall an excellent, modern choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank vacaalotnyc
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear vacaalotnyc,

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our cabaret club, Feinstein's! Isn't it fun?

We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed in plenty of hotels in SFO trying to find the one that I like the most, until now I did not have a winner. Hotel Nikko is it! First off is in a great location, downtown SFO where you can walk everywhere whether to shop, eat, go on business meetings, or get in the cable cars. Also the rooms are not tiny as in most hotels in SFO, the rooms are quite roomy, the shower was excellent! The pressure of it and the tub were outstanding, great amenities in the bathroom, also I was greeted with a glass of red wine which is always welcome! The gym, pool and hot tub are a great addition to this hotel, most hotel pools are usually super cold, not this one it is absolutely perfect temperature! Room service was prompt, free wifi, lots of contacts and places to put your stuff, staff is friendly and helpful, it is clean and the sake bar looked great though I did not have time to check it out. The only problem was that because it is the Nikko hotel I am sure there was a family from Asia in the room upstairs which because of the time difference I am sure they could not sleep due to jet lag and where stomping all over the place, I was not able to fall asleep for a while this was around 2 a.m., however I did not call the front desk and ask them to say something because I was too tired to do so.. I am sure if I had they would have done something about it. I had a great stay and will continue to stay there on my business trips to San Fran, finally I have a winner!

Room Tip: Ask to be put in a room where there are NO KIDS upstairs, that could mean no sleep for you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Mariana A
NikkoGal, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Hi Mariana A
We are so glad to know that the Hotel Nikko is your favorite home away from home in SF! Thanky ou for commenting on your stay. We look forward to your return!
Best regards