“Great Modern Hotel in a great location”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #35 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
new york
“Great Modern Hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Hotel Nikko is my favorite place to stay when I go to San Francisco. It is steps away from the heart of Union Square and has great shopping nearby. You can walk almost anywhere from this location. The rooms are very reasonably priced and very modern and spacious. I usually opt for the included breakfast - which is great. Very international with savory and sweet choices. The club level is a good deal too. There is a fun bar/cabaret club that is funky and fun with great bartenders and cool bites to eat. The staff and concierge are extremely polite and helpful. Overall an excellent, modern choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank vacaalotnyc
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear vacaalotnyc,

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our cabaret club, Feinstein's! Isn't it fun?

We hope to have you back soon!

Danielle Ortega

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have stayed in plenty of hotels in SFO trying to find the one that I like the most, until now I did not have a winner. Hotel Nikko is it! First off is in a great location, downtown SFO where you can walk everywhere whether to shop, eat, go on business meetings, or get in the cable cars. Also the rooms are not tiny as in most hotels in SFO, the rooms are quite roomy, the shower was excellent! The pressure of it and the tub were outstanding, great amenities in the bathroom, also I was greeted with a glass of red wine which is always welcome! The gym, pool and hot tub are a great addition to this hotel, most hotel pools are usually super cold, not this one it is absolutely perfect temperature! Room service was prompt, free wifi, lots of contacts and places to put your stuff, staff is friendly and helpful, it is clean and the sake bar looked great though I did not have time to check it out. The only problem was that because it is the Nikko hotel I am sure there was a family from Asia in the room upstairs which because of the time difference I am sure they could not sleep due to jet lag and where stomping all over the place, I was not able to fall asleep for a while this was around 2 a.m., however I did not call the front desk and ask them to say something because I was too tired to do so.. I am sure if I had they would have done something about it. I had a great stay and will continue to stay there on my business trips to San Fran, finally I have a winner!

Room Tip: Ask to be put in a room where there are NO KIDS upstairs, that could mean no sleep for you.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mariana A
NikkoGal, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Hi Mariana A
We are so glad to know that the Hotel Nikko is your favorite home away from home in SF! Thanky ou for commenting on your stay. We look forward to your return!
marcia
West Kilbride, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had so looked forward to our trip to San Francisco and whilst the city and all is had to offer didn't disappoint, this hotel did.

My negative view started the night we arrived, I had hoped that when pointing out why I felt let down that the hotel would make an effort to make the rest of our stay faultless, this was not the case, to be honest it's as if we weren't there, we spoke to no-one, we're never greeted on entering the hotel and any questions or interactions with hotel staff were brief and curt.

My 9year old son and I arrived at 11pm on a Sunday night after a very long day of travelling. We were deposited on Market street and had to find our way to the hotel, which I'm sure anyone that knows the area is not a place you want to be at night on your own, never mind with a child. I digress, this is just setting the scene, not the hotels fault. We were directed to the hotel by a Union square rep, they directed us to the O'Farrell street entrance, we struggled to get our luggage through the door then up two lots of steps and an escalator to the front desk, on asking at reception why there were no doormen or porters we were told that we used the wrong entrance. Anyone arriving at the Hotel for the first time wouldn't know this. Why have two entrance then? Also we were not asked whether we needed assistance to our room with our bags, which we did, so a very tearful child lugged the suitcases with me.

We got to our very small room and had a nights sleep on the very comfy bed - the only plus point. I didn't feel any less annoyed and let down in the morning so thought I'd better let someone know, i mentioned to a man at the front desk who apologised that we were given no assistance and said "let me see if I can contact a manager and see what we can do about that for you". We never heard another thing.

The following evening we ordered room service, on inspection of the check the next day I noticed we had been overcharged, I rang room service who said they would get a manager to call me. No-one called back so I had to call again to resolve, the $10 was credited against my account but not the tax or room service fee.

The bathroom cleanliness was not to a good standard, hairs in the bath (not ours), the areas around the sink taps were gloomy with soap scum on arrival until the day we left, toilet was never cleaned properly.

The pool area (which you are charged $20 to use) is grubby looking and is in dire need of a revamp. The internet pictures do not represent how it looks. We booked this hotel for the pool and my son did not want to return after the first visit.

$14.95 a day for Wi-Fi! Use Starbucks, it is free.

Rooms walls are paper thin, we could hear everything from coughing to toilet visits in great detail. street noise was also very loud even from the 14th floor.

The location is good although there it borders the Tenderloin so not that nice at night.

I expected so much more from this hotel given other reviews I had read, what were we missing? My personal feeling is that if you are a VIP everything is free but if you are a regular guest you get charged or even worse, you are invisible.

I wouldn't have left this negative review if any effort had been made to make our bad experiences better.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank NicMcl1971
NikkoGal, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear NicMic1971
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I apologize that you were disappointed. I have passed on your comments to the respective managers so that your experience will not be repeated. In this case we let you down, but we will learn from our errors.
Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit
Temecula, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Great service, easy location right off Union Square, free wine reception every night....what more could you ask for! We had a super cute comfortable room, everything looked new and fresh. Hotel staff was extremely nice and they were very accommodating to my two teenage daughters. Hot Chocolate bar and all! Great hot tub, steam room and sauna. Will definitely be coming back next time I'm in town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear bjames79

Thank you for your very kind review. We are delighted that you and your daughters enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Wonderful place to stay. We have enjoyed both our trips to San Francisco and our stay at Hotel Nikko. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Clean, ultra modern, and seems small even though it isn't. Refreshingly terrific place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are quieter and have a great view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Laddyne
Thank you for the 5 circle review. We appreciate the "refreshingly terrific" comment and the nice thoughts about our staff. Please come back soon!
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Lovely staff, excellent location, nice public spaces. Stayed one night on a voucher so got an excellent rate, perhaps the reason for the exceedingly small corner room, which I would not like to stay in again. Bed most comfortable, room clean, though extra pillowcases/towels left on the bed as though housekeeping forgot them there. Check in was slow, room furnishings quite chipped and not up to the 4 star rating. I would stay again at this room rate but only if I were sure of a larger room. I'd like to give them 3 + circles but can't get to 4. Additional fee for use of pool, parking quite high.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shabek
Dear Shabek
On your next visit I suggest booking a deluxe king room. They are quite a bit larger than the Petite Queen you experienced. I have forwarded your comments regarding housekeeping tot he department manager so that the staff may improve.
We hope you will give us another try.
With warm regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

You could not ask for a better location, friendlier staff, or a better place to stay while in San Francisco. If I ever travel there again, I will absolutely stay at Nikko - they made my week in town wonderful!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank atsantus
Dear asantus
You have made our day!! Thank you for the 5 circle review. We can't wait for you to return!