“Hospitality and Amenities”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I recently stayed at the NIKKO in SF in April.
I arrived several hours early, crossed my fingers for an early check in sans attitude.
They checked me in around 3 hours early, graciously, and quickly.
I had a very large room with a corner view.
The hotel is VERY quiet, which is great. There is an indoor pool which was not crowded, and was very relaxing. The gym was super, as was the gym amenities, that was open 24 hours.
I also needed a late check out, and they simply said "no problem."
There is something to be said about Asian hospitality at the Nikko. Nothing was a chore to them, and they left you alone if you wanted to be left alone, as I do.
Also, central location.

Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
NikkoGal, Social Media, Community Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Hello inkjoe!
Since we really taken pride in offering superior hospitality, thank you for highlighting that and we're so glad you enjoyed the Health Club too! Thank you for giving us the highest honor, your 5 circle rating. We look forward to your return visit.

See you soon!
Anne Hudson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,759)

Reviewed May 13, 2014

It seems to be a newly renovated hotel. The room was well insulated ( stayed at Chancellor 2 years ago and it was poorly insulated). The bed was good, though my minor complaint is that the bed for the petite queen seems more like a double than a queen size bed.

Paid an extra $20 to use their health club located in the atrium which is actually their 5th floor. The pool and hot tub has a great view and it was bright and sunny thanks to all the windows and the skylight. There's a dry and wet sauna in the locker room with electronic locks so you don't need to bring your own.

The location is very convenient, close to Powell station, union square, westfield shopping centre, yerba buena. It's about a 20-25 mins walk to the Ferry building marketplace where you'll find a lot of neat little shops and eatery.

Room Tip: If you can, go for the accessible petite queen, it's much more spacious than the petite queen...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi 613VC!
Thank you for the 4 circle rating for Hotel Nikko. We are so pleased to hear that you found the hotel décor pleasing and loved the Health Club particularly. Also, it's great to hear that you returned for another stay and found this experience better than the first. We are always working to improve the hotel experience and so your feedback is very helpful.

For your next visit, can I suggest a visit to the Hotel Nikko website where you'll find special packages for larger rooms and many include the Health Club fee. We look forward to your returning for visit number 3!

Happy Travels,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hotel Nikko SF is the BEST place EVER to stay! The entire staff, doorman, concierge, housekeeping, etc. all staff members treat you like royalty! The hotel is beautiful! The rooms are GREAT! Great night's sleep! This hotel offers superior quality service!! Never before have I had such a wonderful experience at a hotel. This was my second stay. BOTH times were excellent experiences. How many times can you say that about a hotel??! All I can say is, "WOW! Awesome!"

Room Tip: Try the Imperial Club. BEST EVER!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Monique B.!
Fantastico! You quite simply made our day with your glowing review and 5 circle rating. Our General Manager will be thrilled to hear that you felt you were "treated like royalty," that's exactly how we want guests to feel when staying with us.

"Best Ever" is certainly a title we want to hold in the hearts of all of our guests. So come back our queen soon and we look forward to giving you more royal treatment soon!
Warm Regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I was in San Francisco from May 4-6 attending a conference at the hotel. This hotel and review brings me great conflict because although I enjoyed my experience at Hotel Nikko I would not stay here again and I'll explain why.

For the purpose of my stay (i.e., business trip with no frivolities) the hotel served its purpose beautifully and was great. My work kept me busy and I didn't really have time to enjoy the hotel's amenities with the exception of dining at ANZU, which was amazing! However, if and when I have the opportunity to head north to San Francisco for pleasure I will not be staying here.

Let me start off with the positives, because there really were quite a few - Check-in was super efficient and the staff welcoming. I was greeted with a glass of wine upon my arrival and was offered help with my luggage. Everywhere I turned I was offered help. So nice and attentive and that was very much appreciated! I was given a top floor room by request and it was lovely. The bed was comfy and the simple zen-like furnishings and decor was a nice touch. The hotel is nicely located just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Powell BART station and right in the center of the main shopping areas, cable car routes, restaurants, etc.There's also a Starbucks for those of you itching for your morning cuppa joe, like me! The room was equipped with a shower but no tub, which was a little disappointing, especially since rooms with a tub were over $1,000/night!

I know I'm supposed to be focusing on the positives here but I'll be honest I was a little taken aback by the size of the petite queen rooms. When I first entered the room, I almost felt smothered both by its size and height. I quickly adapted to the room size but I would not recommend a petite queen room for couples. But for solo travellers it was just fine. My view was of another hotel with oddly enough a naked guy enjoying a beer by his room window! While he provided me with a hearty chuckle, I closed the blinds and moved on!

The one main discouraging factor that would keep me from staying at Hotel Nikko again is the fact that they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING! I paid close to an average of $200/night for my 2-night stay and that included a $15 fee for unlimited internet use. To use the pool/spa/and gym facilities was an extra $20 (for the duration of my stay, not per night). Needless to say I did not use the pool during my stay. In other reviews I've read regarding this exact complaint the manager's response was that,"...we set our basic rate low in order to allow each guest to choose the amenities that are important to them so that they do not pay for amenities they don't intend to use. We have package deals that include certain amenities..." I'm sorry but if the basal nightly rate was low I would understand and appreciate this logic. However, as I explained above, I paid close to $200/night for my room and that was on a Sunday and Monday night, supposedly the cheaper nights of the week (Sunday = $162; Monday = $218). Not exactly inexpensive. I shutter to think about the Friday/Saturday night rates! Plus, when I think of "hotel packages" I think of room packages with spa services, breakfast options, and wine/cheese happy hours, not use of the pool/spa/gym and internet, which in my many travels have always been included in the room rate as standard hotel amenities. If a 3-star Ramada Inn in Santa Barbara can include use of the pool/gym/spa and internet in their nightly rate (and offer comfy accommodations), so can Hotel Nikko.

Overall, if I were to attend another work-related conference at Hotel Nikko I would stay here again. For business purposes it fit my very basic needs. However, despite the positive attributes of the hotel I will be looking to stay elsewhere if I'm ever able to travel to San Francisco for pleasure.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with a spouse/partner I would not recommend a petite queen room. Top floor...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank April9Bride

Hello April9Bride!
Thank you, for taking time to leave an account of your stay. First of all, thank you for choosing Hotel Nikko to stay for your recent conference. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and specifically the Hotel Nikko staff excelled in customer service, you enjoyed the food at our Restaurant Anzu! Also, appreciate the fact that you noticed the attention to detail in the décor and the convenience of the location and the Starbucks accessible from the hotel. I will pass along the praise for the things mentioned.

I wanted to mention in response to a few of the negatives:
As a four star, San Francisco hotel, we really strive to be competitive in pricing and offer guests the choice for amenities they may or may not choose to add. We have heard from others who appreciate being able to choose for instance to add on the health club, which is a one time $20 fee so if you stayed for 4 days, you would gain access for the entire stay for only $20. Our Health Club includes an indoor, atrium covered pool and Jacuzzi and many pay a monthly subscription to use these state of the art facilities.

I agree the Petite Queen room is petite and most comfortable for 1 guest, however if sight seeing is your main priority and you are looking for a beautifully decorated small room, we've been told it's perfect. Alternatively, may I suggest that you look on the Hotel Nikko web site where there are special packages for larger rooms and many include the Health Club too.

Give us a chance to wow you for your personal visit in San Francisco too.
Best Regards,

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Upgraded our room on arrival unexpectedly and beautiful view room. Rooms tend to be small but space efficient. Close to Union Square. Been here several times. Extremely clean. Close to Tenderloin area so know which way you want to go or be prepared for panhandlers.

• Stayed: April 2014
NikkoGal, Social Media Community Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you MauiVisit, we are beaming with your 5 circle review! We are so glad that you were pleased with the service you received and the convenient location of the hotel. Mostly we're excited you will return to visit us; that's the ultimate testament and our goal to be your "go-to" place to stay in San Francisco.

All the Best,

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Although I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, I was a little disappointed overall with the experience. First, the positives. Check-in was efficient and the staff welcoming. I wasn't offered help with my luggage, but I suspect this was an oversight.The glass of wine was a nice touch! There is a good bank of speedy lifts.The bed was comfy (although the removal of what seemed like several hundred pillows and cushions every night seemed unnecessary). The shower was fine. The hotel is well sited, just a very short walk from the Powell BART station and right in the centre of the main shopping areas, cable car routes etc.There's an onsite Starbucks adjacent to the lobby.
I paid extra to be on the Nikko floor, but I struggle to see what I got for this, other than free internet access and a guaranteed (high) floor level. Unless you're going to upgrade yet again to the Imperial Club rooms (an extra $40 per night on top of the Nikko supplement), I'm not sure it's worth the extra, although obviously you avoid the high daily internet charge ($15.95 -- for shame!).The room was not large by US standards (I doubt if rooms further down the hotel were smaller) with space for just one armchair. The windows badly needed cleaning. The room was decently, but fairly modestly, furnished. It was all a bit underwhelming. I requested a corner room, but didn't get it -- luck of the draw, I suppose.
I appreciate that this is a feature of many (?US) hotels, but I believe charging $6 (or any price) for a small bottle of water in the room is outrageous, no matter how designer it is. It ought to be complimentary. I was also taken aback to find that *delivery* of parcels to the hotel was charged for ($6 each). I've asked around about this, and none of my friends (some of whom are very frequent worldwide travellers) has encountered anything similar. I know that this is because a UPS is handily on-site and handles this service for the hotel, but I think the chain needed to have bargained a bit harder for their guests in this respect. Other things that you expect to find in a hotel of this quality like a sewing kit needs to be specifically requested (though is free). It's all a bit mean spirited.
Last year I stayed at Le Meridien in the Financial district, and got a distinctly better room at a lower price (and got my request of a corner room high up). I suppose you're paying for an area which is more lively at night, but I know which hotel I'll be choosing when I visit this beautiful city again.

Room Tip: Rooms further up will of course have a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Katie L
NikkoGal, Social Media Community Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Hi Katie,
First thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough account of your visit. We appreciate the fact that overall you felt you received good customer service for a smooth check in (the welcome wine - smile) and the location.

I have made note of the things you pointed out and will notify the Baggage claim manager about making sure to inquire about guest baggage assistance, I assure you that is normal procedure and apologize we missed this step. Additionally, I will let building maintenance know about your window comment. While our interior and exterior windows are cleaned regularly, with recent rains, the exterior cleaning may have just missed your visit. In any event, we strive for superior cleanliness so I know it will be addressed right away.

As for the Internet, I want to also let you know that there is free WiFi in the lobby and that the fees are standard for similar hotels and Hotel Nikko includes up to 3 devices in the $15.95 charge. As you noted many of the special packages found on the Hotel Nikko web site waive this fee.

Finally, regarding your baggage fee question, I did a little research. It is standard practice to include some type of fee for baggage delivery fee to your room and typically it varies by package weight:
Hotel Nikko you are correct it is $6 for parcel between 1 to 10 lbs. (unless contracted as a part of an event coordination). I checked our neighboring hotel
Comparison:
Hilton -Fees are $5 per piece delivered for that size unless contracted through an event etc. and La Meridian charges also $5 per package for in room delivery.

So generally if you want a parcel delivered to your room, and it's not included as a part of an event contract, there's a fee, if you have the hotel hold it and pick it up typically you can waive the fee.

Finally, I know that your corner room request not being honored was disappointing as you highlighted, if this is not a requested package, unfortunately at any hotel it will be based on availability, however make sure at check in to remind them of your desire and we, at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, will always attempt to fulfill the desire if possible.

All of that being said, come back to us. We want to wow you for your next visit. Look at the packages which include room upgrades and amenities too. Explore Hotel Nikko for your next San Francisco visit.

Many thanks and see you soon!

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed at the Nikko for 2 nights (2-4 June 2014) and enjoyed it thoroughly. This was my first stay here as I often end up at the Marriott Union Square or the Hyatt. That said, I was very pleased with the Nikko. The service was impeccable - the staff were polite and professional. They assisted me on my requests and did what they could to accommodate my needs.

The room I got was quite spacious (by US city standards). There was more than enough room to move around easily. To top it off, the toilet/bath was incredible. It was huge (and certainly more spacious than what I was typically used to from the other hotels in the area). The room (bed, sheets, study, sofa etc.) was well-kept though I'll admit that the TV was a bit small given the spaciousness of the room.

Location-wise, the Nikko is well placed. It is a brief walk to Union Square (about 2-3 minutes) and therefore, very accessible. I will, however, admit that the generally surroundings did not feel as safe as compared to the hotels north of Union Square (e.g. Marriot Union Square and the Hyatt) though I did not run into any concerns.

The hotel has 2 restaurants and a lounge but I did not try either. I guess this is quite standard for most hotels in the city but I will also admit that visitors to San Francisco will never go hungry given the wide dining choices in the area.

My only immediate concern was having to pay $20 to use the gym (and heated pool & sauna). This is a flat-rate fee and is payable once regardless of the duration of stay. So, if you're there for a week, this is not a bad investment but if you're there for a day, it's not necessarily worth it. That said, the gym was well equipped and never once felt overly busy.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay at the Nikko. It was a pleasant surprise and I'm glad that I gave it a chance. It's certainly comparable to, if not better than, the likes of the Hyatt or Marriott. (It still does not reach the level of the Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental but that's fine for me.) I'll certainly keep the Nikko on the top of my list for when I visit San Francisco again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Jason L
NikkoGal, Social Media Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Jason L.,
We love it when we top a travelers list! Thank you for taking time to leave a thoughtful review and the 5 circle rating. I will pass along your comments to the hotel staff as well.
All the Best,