“Small, comfortable room in great location”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #36 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco Bay Area
“Small, comfortable room in great location”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

For a quick, overnight trip, the Hotel Nikko was perfect. We paid $20 for an upgraded king room and, while the room was a bit on the small side, it was clean, quiet and the bed was really, comfortable. The bathroom was nice although we just had a tub/shower and curtain and not the nice glass shower that appears in a lot of the pictures here. I wouldn't hesitate to book a room here for a shorter visit. For a longer visit, I might look for a little more room. The location is great and right next to Union Square.

I do have, however, one negative comment about our stay. When we arrived at 2:00, there was a large room service tray out near our room from a previous guest. Not a big deal, but it was still there about 8:00 pm so I sent the front desk a text letting them know that it was still there and asking them to please clean it up. It was a little gross at this point. We went to dinner and, when we arrived back at the hotel around midnight, it was still there. Yep - 10 hours later. I sent another text to the front desk and it was gone by the morning.

That is really the only negative that we had with the Hotel Nikko. Overall, a nice stay in a great location in SF.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
NikkoGal, Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Jon S.,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Nikko for your quick getaway! We receive a lot of compliments on our beds, so we hope you had a good night's rest during your stay. Thank you for your incredible patience with our service staff, and on your next visit we will ensure that there will be no negative bearings upon your arrival!

Warm wishes,
Marcia Striffeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Lakewood, California
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Arrived a day early for a business conference at the Nikko, warm, friendly and professional staff from check in to departure! Rooms are comfortable, clean and spacious. Conference held at the hotel, catered food was great (a little bland but understandable when serving large group with range of palate). Best location, short walk to Bart, Trolley, Muni, shopping, dining and entertainment. Not the best view but in the middle of Union Square so to be expected. Highly recommend, great value for a large chain luxury hotel!

Room Tip: Naturally the higher floors have the best views.
Dear aslHelen,

Thank you for your four-star review of Hotel Nikko SF! We take great pride in our location within the city, and we are always pleased to hear that our guests take advantage of our surroundings. We hope that you visit Hotel Nikko soon, whether it be on business or leisure!

Best wishes,
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Pretty place in a great location!

I've stayed here a few times now. First off all, love the location. I never drive when I'm in SF. Have you seen those hills?? I'm from a flat island. Hills scare me! Hotel Nikko is just perfect. Take Bart to Union station, walk up two blocks and viola! You are there.

Hotel is right next to the Union Square mall. Saks fifth avenue is literally a stone throw away from my room ( wooot). All the other places too of course. The lobby is pretty open and big. I love their rooms. I enjoy high floors and they have always given me it. 19th floor view is pretty epic! The rooms are nice and neat and clean. Once I complained about the cigarette smell and they were sold out. They offered to clean my room again for me so the smell can get out . And it worked!

Check in and check out is usually pretty fast. I have always arrived between around 8-10 am (work related trips) and they still let me check in. One time I had to wait till 11:30 but it was fine since I was busy till later anyway. But that was the only time. The rest was easy peesy.

Clean hotel, fast service and a great restaurant! (Anzu) I like this place! Oh and if you get a chance, check out their pool! So gorgeous with glass ceiling. Will be back on my next trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tifa_Mystique,

Wow, thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel! We are always delighted when our guests take full advantage of Hotel Nikko SF's surroundings. Public transit in San Francisco is excellent and makes it possible for visitors to go without a car- if only Hawaii's public transit took note! We hope that you visit our hotel soon, either on business or leisure!

Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I wanted a beautiful hotel. I called Bookit.com thinking it was Booking.com, big mistake. Within 2 days, on their own site, I saw the price drop $600. I couldn't get my itinerary until 2 days after I booked with them. They wouldn't price match their own site!

As far as the Nikko, excellent, low water pressure in shower, which is about the only thing I can complain about. Pool is 2 feet to 4 feet at the deepest end, was very nice swimming looking through the window paned roof. The rooms had the most comfortable beds ever, premium bedding, and everything was very clean. Any request from them was directly and quickly taken care of (from newspaper to extra coffee for room). If you are looking for a great place to stay, this is it! AGAIN< BOOKIT, not so much!

Room Tip: As for a room higher up, less noisy. We were on 18th floor. They offer to upgrade you for more mone...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JupiterKaren,

Thank you for your five-circle review of Hotel Nikko SF! Our indoor swimming pool comes highly regarded. Because the temperature in the solarium is unchanged by the outside weather, our guests get to treat themselves for a little dip without freezing themselves. We are certainly glad you took advantage of our pool and other amenities, and you hope you return soon.

Concrete, Washington
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I recently stayed at The Nikko for a conference. The meetings were held on the 25th floor with great views of the City and Bay. The standard room was clean andvery comfortable with a beautiful view. Laundry services were very fast compared to other hotels in this price range but were a bit more expensive than similar services elsewear. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a full service of Pacific Rim offerings including extensive fish, pickles, rice, as well as fresh and hot traditional American fare. The restaurant served an excellent dinner special with wine parings that I would have ordered on consecutive nights it was so good.
The pool was closed my last morning which was too bad, but it was mid week so not completely surprising. The wifi worked well in my room on the 20th floor. Close to shopping, trolley cars and many off site restaurants with happy hours. It was perfect for business or family.

Room Tip: Get to the pool early in the morning if you like to do laps. Be sure to go up to the 25th floor to e...
1 Thank kelrbush
Dear kelrbush,

Thank you for your five-circle review. We are happy that you took good advantage of both our location and hotel amenities. Our indoor pool is quite popular among guests who are looking for a swim without freezing in San Francisco weather! We hope that you choose Hotel Nikko SF during your next visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 15, 2014

They give you a text number to write your request. I used this number several times and every time they responded within the minute. The night manager, Romeo, personally leant me his swim goggles. I have not had such responsive guest care in forever.

Dear ruth e,

We are thrilled that our service staff left a lasting impression during your stay at Hotel Nikko SF. Our hotel strives to make our guests feel comfortable and welcomed. We hope that you visit us again soon!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Nikko is nice, but in an average way. location is excellent, tons of shopping, restaurants etc all around. Room is dated especially the bathroom. Bed was very comfortable. WiFi expensive. Price is on the high side and you feel you overpay. Service is OK, not too friendly but ok.

1 Thank Alonlif
Dear Alonlif,

Thank you for your four-circle review of Hotel Nikko SF. We are pleased that you took advantage of the surroundings around the hotel and its accessibility to Union Square. We always bring in new decor to the hotel, so we hope that you return soon to see the changes!