“Calm Refuge in Downtown San Francisco”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #33 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I found Hotel Nikko to be a calm refuge in the midst of downtown San Francisco. My stay was for four days to attend a conference. Service was responsive and polite. I especially liked their $18.95 express three-course lunch at their restaurant, Anzu. Well-presented dishes, attentive service, and fresh, tasty ingredients. I was given a modern, corner room that was clean, well-appointed and had a wonderful view. While it was noisy Saturday night because of a nearby bar the remainder of my nights were quiet. As a single woman, I would not be walking in the neighborhood alone at night. However, I would stay there again if I could get a conference room rate.

Room Tip: In the neighborhood is Puccini and Pinetti an Italian restaurant and bar. Enjoyed the salad choices.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear drlucy007,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your visit, and that you had the opportunity to enjoy a meal at ANZU. Next time you visit San Francisco, you should check out Feinstein’s at the Nikko. Show ticket prices include a $30 food and beverage credit which may be used in ANZU or in the showroom. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to San Francisco!
Best Wishes,

There are newer reviews for Hotel Nikko San Francisco

Reviewed May 17, 2013

This place turned out to be a great choice. I had really wanted to stay at Hotel Diva and was stalking their rates for months, but finally gave up. Hotel Nikko was offering a discount so I booked it hoping for the best. It ended up being one of the best places we stayed. Excellent customer service and the rooms are really nice and clean. Great location and terrific views! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Standing_Tall,
Thank you for your very kind words for our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay while visiting San Francisco. Thank you for the comments regarding our customer service. We strive for excellence. Thank you for noticing and commenting on it! We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Best Regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Nikko. It was clean, the staff was friendly, and the rooms were comfortable. The gym was very nice as well.

It was convenient that there is a starbucks in the same building as well as both upscale and cheap eateries in the vicinity. The bar staff were extremely helpful and did a great job of interacting and recommending "off the beaten path" types of activities for visitors who didn't want to do the touristy things.

While there is no airport shuttle, the concierge at the hotel hooked me up with a limo that was only 50 bucks which was pretty sweet as well.

There were a few homeless people if I walked 3 or 4 blocks towards the tenderloin district so its somewhat important to know which direction you are walking towards if you don't wanna be panhandled.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jonathan T,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and that our friendly and knowledgeable staff helped to make your stay an enjoyable one. It’s great being located in a city that offers so many fun and exciting activities, delicious restaurants, and convenient public transportation (which, by the way, goes directly to the airport!). Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to SF!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The bell greeted my politely after I stepped out of my cab and collected my Bags. My check in was OK, but when I reached my room the bags had not arrived, I waited for half an hour and I walked down to the reception reminding them of my bags. After fifteen minutes it still did not arrive, and then I called the bell desk and reminded them, it still did not arrive then I had to go down again to reception and then it was in transit to my room, in all it took 45 minutes to reach my room from the Hotel Entrance. I was upset hence, did not tip the Bell. The room was an upgrade they gave me for a charge, with the show they put up they should have given me free. Anyway, I stayed 3 nights and the room was cleaned only once, I had put up the clean my room light on but the room was not cleaned that day. I have attached a picture my trash was overflowing. In all OK, the rooms were good, TV was good but, the messages on the telephone was quite funny each time I pressed the message button it would go the operator, and then she would have to put the messages. Internet was free for me, but it was strange it would disconnect each time my phone or ipad go to sleep. Room was not that spacious for a double, but the bathroom area and the wardrobe was quite spacious and clean fittings. Room had in built safe and the view out of the room was nothing great. Room and hotel was quiet and the rest of the area clean. There is starbucks attached to the hotel and has hotel entrance but is not a 24hours one, opens around 0500 hrs. Did not try the restaurant, there are not much of choice but there are excellent restaurants around the hotel complex, and the hotel is at a very good location and has excellent ground transportation access tram, rail, taxi, bus etc., Great Shopping district around too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Bobjose,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Your comments sting a bit, but we have used this as a learning tool. We have notified both bell and housekeeping of these issues so that they can prevent them from happening again. Thank you again for staying with us when you during your visit, and we hope you do consider staying with us again on your next visit to San Francisco.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nothing much wrong but nothing much right either. I've stayed in Nikko Hotels in Tokyo and they're all about the same: clean, comfortable, expensive, and charging for everything extra. I upgraded to a Nikko room, which means that I should have had free Internet and access to the pool and fitness room, the latter being worthwhile, the former being a real pain.
The dratted Internet just did not work as it was supposed to and I'm no fool when it comes to things wireless. I finally phoned to the front desk and the person told me to just click the button to "charge" to my hotel room. Yup, and that's what the hotel did. So sorting out my bill when the normal check-out lineup was half an hour long at human times would have taken too long. So I was up at 5 am and went down to the front desk to complain. This problem was fixed but simultaneously the hotel checked me out. I wanted to find out if my plane was on time. NO INTERNET. The maid came bouncing in later when I was half dressed saying "I thought you'd checked out." Sigh.

Room Tip: Beware: your ordinary room does not come with access to the pool, which is really quite nice. You...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear byrl12345
Thank you for your comments. The Nikko floor upgrade was a smart choice and a great value. I have alerted the front desk about checking you out early. Thanks to your comments we have prevented this from happening again.
We hope that you will visit us again soon.
With warm regards

Reviewed May 14, 2013

So over in SF for a convention. get the tip off a work colleague NOT to stay at the Hilton, but use the Hotel across the road - Nikko. He seems a reliable kind of person, the price is similar so off we go. First impressions? Great - very nice guy at the door, full of bonhomie and helpful obsequiesness notwithstanding the fact that i have arrived utterly dishevelled from a transcontinental flight. Roll up to the counter - hmmm. problem here. Internet extra, Gym extra (WTF!), breakfast extra - all adds up to around $60 "extra" - what are you doing for me folks? What about an up-grade to the imperial floor for an extra $50 a night which includes all the above plus a "guest reception" with free drinks from 5-7. Plus a better, roomier suite. hmm, my kind of hotel. Syre enough the room is lovely, large with lots of nice touches. great view of downtown and beyond. everything else turns out great - the gym is HUGE - the pool less so. And hey what? i learned to love that little reception at 5-7 - when you are conventioned out at 5.30, what do you want? a cool Gin and Tonic up in the exclusive Imperial suite guest area. That's right. I really could've got used to this place. One little cheesiness to report. when you do get back from that convention, what does one find? the room lights on, the radio playing god knows what, and some unnecessary chocolates. OK call me eco-perverse, but leaving lights and radio on when no one is home? Not v Japanese. But you'll learn to love this place - and particularly the little 5-7 reception.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear SydneyRousseau,
Thank you for your review of our hotel, and for staying with us during your visit to San Francisco. We are glad that you took advantage of the upgrade to our Imperial floor so that you could take advantage of all the wonderful amenities our hotel has to offer to our guests. Leaving the lights on, music playing, and chocolate is all part of the exceptional service that we strive to provide to our guests – it’s just a little something to help make them feel at home! We thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to San Francisco.
Best Regards,

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Nikko for a work conference. The staff were very helpful, the fitness center is great, the beds are amazingly comfortable, and the shower was awesome. My only complaint was that the fitness center and internet cost extra. I will never understand why luxury hotels charge for these things when places like Super 8 will give them to you for free!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rebecca S

Dear Rebecca S,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your visit, and that you were able to take advantage of all the wonderful amenities our hotel has to offer. As for all of our fees, if you look at the bottom of our website, you can view our FAQ page which actually lets you know all the fees before your stay with us. We thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again on your next visit to San Francisco.
Warmest Regards,