“Fabulous top-notch hotel”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I travel somewhat frequently for work and pleasure, and I found the Hotel Nikko one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The service, room, restaurant, decor, amenities, and attention to detail all earn 5 stars. The location is perfect for business, shopping, and entertainment options too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
2  Thank Sherri941
NikkoGal, Outlet Sales and Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Sherri941,
Thank you for your feedback. There is nothing more satisfying to our hard work than kind words like yours. Please, stay updated on our website for deals. We hope to see you back in this city very soon!

Marcia Striffeler

Write a ReviewReviews (3,810)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here four nights recently and generally liked if. Overall very clean sleek Japanese feel to the decor. The room was relatively small, yes, but really nicely laid out and decorated so it seemed quite fresh and airy with just enough space to be comfortable, Nice desk, comfy bed, large window... Only beef was $15.95 per day per device for internet. Also the $24 breakfast buffet is a little much, but there are several regular breakfast diners right outside the door. I also found out on the last day that there is a free car service for short trips, i.e. I could have been driven to the convention center every morning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear DCfoodman
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel offers various sizes of rooms. The Petit Queen room is the best price but the Deluxe King Room offers more space. Perhaps on your next visit you will try the larger room. Our breakfast buffet is really lavish and at $24.00 a great value, but if you are looking for a bit less try a plated breakfast beginning at only $12.00. Starbucks is also available off of the lobby.
We hope that you will come back soon!

Fellow foodie,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed 1 nite, 2/24/2013. The hotel is very clean...we had a large room on the 20th floor...nice city views. The check in agent upgraded us to a larger room at check in for $30 more . The room was spotless i always check the carpet & bathroom floors...pristine. Hotel has good location...close to powell st bart....restaurants....Foley's, Kuleto's...up powell to macy's & union square. north beach is a cab ride. The drawbacks are that they charge $15 per nite for wifi...really odd in a city like SF, or u can pay $30 for the whole week, multiple instruments. they also charge $20 for the week to use the pool. the staff is friendly & very helpful in making reservations or giving directions. I would stay again....but beware of extra charges for wifi, etc. Also there is a starbucks located right next door.

Room Tip: we were on the 20th floor...city views....2 queen beds....very comfortable....big flat screen tv...g...

Dear laura g,
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Our fees are listed on the FAQs page of our website, through which if you book your reservation, your internet fee will be waived for one device for the duration of your stay. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us, and we hope to see you back.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have completed multiple stays at this property over the years and have had generally pretty positive experiences. It's a well-maintained but aging building; some of the facilities, especially the pool and fitness center area, are really showing some wear and tear. The rooms are mostly nice, although there are some that maybe should be remodeled. It's a bit of a mixed bag in room assignments here as they do have the smallest of small (petite queen), but if you book a deluxe or larger you'll find it a normal hotel standard.

The restaurant breakfast here is wonderful, especially if you like Japanese-style. Grilled fish, Japanese pickles, rice and steamed vegetables make for a healthy and filling way to start the day. The standard pastry/toast/cereal and other Western options are a little more basic. It's worth the $30 price tag for the buffet only if you are in the mood for the Japanese options.

The fitness center is among the nicer in the hotel and this is one of the few properties that does have a lap pool. Except for some room categories they do charge $20 per stay for access (not $20 per use/night), but if you're staying a few nights it is certainly worth the extra. As noted the pool area is a bit shabby - old tile and such - but it's clean and a nice retreat from the city!

All in all my experiences here lead me to return visits - it hits just the right notes of comfort and convenience. I like the location and have always found the staff wonderful. It's not without compromise - some extremely small rooms - but careful research can help you maximize your room choice.

Room Tip: Check their website for special rates that may include Internet, fitness center or breakfast (or all...

Dear SFO-World-Traveller,
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is not only beneficial to us, but also helpful for future customers. Thank you for your comments regarding ANZU Restaurant. Chef Philippe and team really take pride in their craft. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently stayed at my favorite hotel the Nikko- San Francisco but found out the "Website Exclusive w/free internet" produced an insulting situation.
The Nikko is fabulous and I have stayed there many times on business but only learned this weekend that they have sub standard options. To be fair, I already knew they price options out, so internet is additional, the pool is additional and so is breakfast. This I'm OK with as many business travelers don't need all these options so your rate goes up if you do. BUT, (and here's the hidden catch) they go out of their way to let you know you have a cheaper room. First, at check in, everyone in front of us was offered a glass of wine (as expected) but we were not offered, presumably because of my internet "special" (maybe it was a slip up and they can respond). Next, our room had toilet paper that you could use to sand cabinetry! And no wash clothes? Are you kidding me? Moving on, I wanted to get in the hot tub so I go to the lobby and pay the $20 for pool access. Sweet! But in the closet is no robe or slippers (I thought they were in the room but certainly thought that when I paid the "club" fee they would be offered. No! We go down to the pool area and everyone had a robe but us. I call the lobby from the pool phone and they said I needed to ask for that when I booked the pool. What? Now, cold and wet standing talking on the pool phone they offer to bring it to my room. Hello! I'm cold and wet at the pool. Can you bring to the pool? "NO". Me: "Hold one moment, I want you to tell that to my cold girlfriend!". Lobby: "Um , well, OK, but it will be a while". (A very nice cleaning person offered to get them for us to speed it up. I forgot her name but thank you!). Lesson here. The lower priced rooms will leave you feeling VERY second class. (But the brunch is still awesome). Good Luck!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carl H
NikkoGal, Marketing Manager at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Carl H.
This review stings, but it also helps us to improve our operation so I must say thank you! It is not our intention to make any guest feel less than another. We dropped the ball by not offering you a glass of wine when you checked in. The deluxe rooms do have robes as a standard. Robes are on request in the Petite Queen rooms.

We have used your review in a recent training class and hope that you will return to you once favorite hotel. Please ask for me when you make your reservation.

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for hotels in SF and mostly all of them were over my budget. I found a deal for Hotel Nikko on Hotels.com and read other good reviews on here too. I loved everything about this hotel. Room was clean, modern, check out was quick, city views from my room were amazing and I couldn't have asked for more. Booked it for $110 & can say I definitely enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear lexandraMtz,
Thank you for your feedback. Please check our website hotelnikkosf.com for more deals. Also, by booking through our own website, your internet fee will be waived for one device for the duration of your stay. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

First time at the Nikko and we fell in love with it. Wasn't sure what to expect and was truly pleasantly surprised. Rooms are fresh, clean and airy. Great location just off Union Square (but away from the chaos) and easily walkable to lots of sights. Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant, but it looked wonderful. Have stayed in many SF hotels and the Nikko is up there amongst the best.

Dear RCAnyc,
Thank you for your review. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us, and we hope to see you soon.

Warm regards,