“Perfect for a short break”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #37 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow
“Perfect for a short break”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Lovely hotel, great location, friendly staff. The rooms were quite small but no smaller than what you would expect from a city centre hotel. My only negative was that we had to pay extra to use the spa and gym facillities which I would have expected to be included in a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Laurapants1,
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel allows each guests to choose which amenities they wish to include in their stay. This keeps room rates lower and you only pay for the items you wish to utilize. The spa and gym are free of charge when you book any of the suites.
We hope you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Marcia Striffeler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Foster City, California, United States
Reviewed November 29, 2012

If you want to stay near Union Square and avoid Market street and the tenderloin the Hotel Nikko is perfect. Walking distance to union square, all the good stores. The rooms are very large and very nicely done and roomy. The hotel is top notch neat and clean. Service can be hit and miss. they are all polite and so forth, but seems they were training lots of folks (during Thanksgiving weekend) and at times were talking among themselves versus helping customers. Valet service is expensive but very efficient and quick. they have a night club in the lobby, didn't go but it looked happening. There is a Starbucks attached to the lobby area which is great but very very busy, there is another across the street - go there. A nice stay if visiting SF or just getting away for the weekend. The use of the gym is a little high but the swimming pool i since.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear FCtraveler,
Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate the time you took in providing a positive feedback for us and potential travelers like you.
Please feel free to stay in touch with us through facebook.com/hotelnikko
We look forward to welcoming you.
California
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The lobby is very nice, high tech modern with Oriental and Japanese influences. The staff including check in , the concierge and the valet parking staff were professional and friendly as well. Definitely a business oriented environment. The rooms are starting to show some wear ,especially the carpeting. The BIG problem in our last two visits was the room air conditioners. It has been a warm Fall in SF. The room was hot and stuffy so we set the air to 69 degrees this helped very little,we set it to 67 degrees not much better. The thermostat sets down to 65 degrees max. We tried that. The problem is there is no thermometer on the unit and we could not tell if the was working . It kept shutting off as if it reached cool temperature, but was not cool in the room. This happened all night as it cooled the room somewhat, then shut off! leaving us sweltering and very uncomfortable. On and off like this all night,letting the room get hot and stuffy. It was not a good night's rest. This is the second room that did this to us . Our last visit, I just wrote it off as dealing with a hot room stuffy for a night, this time I see a pattern in the heating /cooling system that need to be addressed. Since it is a high rise with no opening windows,you are at the mercy of the canned air. For this reason I will stay elsewhere in San Francisco. That is why I rated it just overall average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I checked into the Hotel Nikko with a friend before Thanksgiving. I was incredibly turned off and disappointed by the service I received at the hotel. I was really happy when we left.

Prior to checking in, this hotel lost my reservation that I made on a third party travel website. After checking in after much hassle, we were brought to our room that only had a single queen size bed. I explained to the front desk staff this was not what I had booked. They "solved" the problem by charging me $40 for a room upgrade so we could have two beds, even though I booked a room with two beds in the first place. I felt I got ripped off on purpose. The staff didn't help me feel satisfied.

This hotel will charge you for everything. They charge you $20 to use the fitness area/pool. To use the wifi there is a charge. There is a $49 daily parking charge, which is a complete rip off for the area. I'd recommend you park in the self-park garage kitty corner from the hotel. It's $30 dollars for over night parking.

I also want to warn travelers, the hotel is in a shady neighborhood in San Francisco. I wouldn't leave the property late at night. On the bright side, it is close to Union Square where shopping is plentiful. It's a safe walk to Union Square during the day.

The hotel itself is a nice facility. I really liked our room. Our beds were plush and very comfortable. I loved the bathroom with the separate tub and shower. The tub was incredible. It was large and had a shower attachment.

I don't think I'll be staying here again. Like I said, I was happy to leave. The front desk clerk was rude to me during check out even.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a deluxe room. A standard room is a single QUEEN bed. NOT two Queen beds.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank newtorontonian
Reviewed November 27, 2012

we stayed there the weekend before to see Bobby Caldwell in The Razz Room....GREAT. everything was so perfect , we cancelled our other hotel reservations for the following weekend at another hotel and booked the nikko... we put in a request for same corner room we had last visit.... guess what we checked in and had the same room as requested. Customer Service is excellent. I continue to tell everyone that that was the best service.

• Stayed November 2012
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear anavan,
It’s always such a pleasure to read positive reviews. Thank you for taking your time in spreading the word verbally and electronically. It means a lot to us.
We’re also happy to hear that your experience with us was “perfect.”
We look forward to welcoming you again.
In the meantime, feel free to keep in touch with us on facebook.com/hotelnikko
Warm regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the ambiance and overall rooms.

The location is stellar, and you are in the middle of Union Square. But the rooms were excellent, clean and fresh. The bedding was fantastic, mini bar was something to be stood by, and overall a very peaceful and serene environment.

The lobby has a jazz club that I didn't go to, but it seemed to have a good following when I observed. Overall, I would recommend staying here for any reason.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear NatalieAnnGarcia,
Thank you for your recent review. We’re very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I can’t agree with you more on the ambiance.
Thank you once again.
Specials, city deals, and events are found through facebook.com/hotelnikko
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Nikko is an excellent hotel. I enjoyed my stay bar a few niggles that were promptly and professionally resolved. I don't know when the rooms were refurbished by my rooms on the imperial club floor looked like new. OK there was a stain on the carpet of one of the two rooms I had but I guess this things happen to even new rooms. I had a king and a 2 queen room and the 2 queen room seemed more spacious. I was billed $40 more per night for the 2 queen room but after explaining to the duty manager Corinne, this was resolved immediately as she clarified that room rates are the same for king and double queen. I booked through expedia and although it said buffet breakfast, I was told at checkin that it was only for one person per room - my booking from expedia didn't say that so the manager graciously allowed our family of 3 adults and 2 kids to have the buffet breakfast. I recommend breakfasting at ANZU - the buffet is great. The free complimentary continental breakfast at the imperial lounge is nothing compared (but good for a quick bit if you need to rush). The location is superb - near the cable car at powell and all the shopping at Union square and Westfield. The thanksgiving weekend shopping is very good - almost all shops having some form of discount. Did not use the pool so cannot comment on pool and gym. Will want to stay here next time I'm in SF.

Room Tip: Go for the imperial club rooms if you can - the buffet breakfast and free internet are useful extras...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear snowbunny35,
Thank you for your recent review. We’re very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. At Hotel Nikko, we strive to provide the best service to our guests; we’re glad your problems were resolved promptly and professionally. As for the stain on the carpet, I’ll be sure it is taken care of.
Overall, it’s a pleasure to read a positive review.
Thank you again.