“Loacation + Service = Great Hotel”

Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Ranked #32 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels in San Francisco some with amazing warmth and style and this was very stark yet classy. Just depending on what your style is. You will be well taken care of with their very attentive and accommodating staff. If you happen to get the opportunity to meet Manuel at the front desk you will immediately feel welcome and his personality puts you at ease no matter how crazy your day has been getting to the hotel. He makes you truly feel like you are appreciated and wants you to enjoy your stay. I was staying for a long period of time and my room was smaller then I expected and he quickly made a room change and followed up to make sure I was confortable in the new room. It has been a long time since I have seen service like this and travel for work and this kind of attention will bring me back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
NikkoGal, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Nikko San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Suart S,
Thank you for your recent review. It’s always a pleasure to read positive reviews such as yours. I’ll be sure to pass this on to Manuel at the front desk.
We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.
Meanwhile, like us on facebook.com/hotelnikko and keep yourself updated on city deals, events, and more!
Marcia Striffeler

Write a ReviewReviews (3,758)

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here a few weeks ago and was left highly disappointed! When we came into the lobby of the hotel, we was really impressed and was looking forward to our a stay. The glass of wine made me feel nice and relaxed and was looking forward to spending a nice 5 days there......Till I go to the room! Wow, I think even hobbits would have difficulty with the size of the room. The walls were wafer thin and could hear every sound and every door banging.... I was lucky enough not to be in my room that often. What really annoyed me most (Apart from paying over $400 a night for a cupboard) was the fact we had to pay extra charges to use the gym and swimming pool and also pay extra charges to use the internet. Why was this? When surely $400 a night is more than enough for your cupboard. Even the food was overpriced, undersized and over cooked.

The only high note of my stay here. Nice lime and lemon water in the lobby :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Greg P
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Nice hotel right off Union Square. The only thing that wasn't up to snuff was the internet access in my room which was a little confusing and a little intermittent. I upgraded to a corner room and it was worth the extra $18. Sushi restaurant is pretty good as well.

Room Tip: Corner room upgrade was worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the hotel Nikko twice and each time have been disappointed. I attended a conference at the hotel so for convenience sake I returned after being grossly disappointed the first stay. I even remembered the front desk clerk if you can believe that! She was just so unqualified for the job and dis so poorly that she was memorable. I assumed the first time around that maybe she was new and needed some more experience but one year later she was still just as hopeless and rude as ever. Each time I completed a survey stating my complaints. Both times management responded with a curt reply. Clearly nothing was done about the exceptionally poor front desk staff. I would never voluntarily stay at this hotel nor would i recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank neelieniv
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Decent hotel, very central, and able to accommodate our family of four in a large(ish) room with two queen sized beds. Probably quite pricey unless you can find a discount (hunt around) but probably fair enough for where it is. Starbucks in the basement seemed a much better option for breakfast than the hotel's own...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chrisreedn4
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I spent about 5 days at this hotel for a meeting at the Moscone convention center. It is about a 15 minute walk there so plan accordingly if that is your reason to be in SF. This is a clean, bright, well organized hotel.

As a single woman traveling at a meeting, I often stay on the equivalent of the Imperial floor: for not much extra money, breakfast and afternoon snacks are included and often have their own concierge, equivalent to the gold service at the canadian fairmont hotels. This hotel has such a floor. Breakfast was lovely and there was the option for a hot restaurant breakfast. Afternoon snacks had wine and beer, but the snacks were greasy and not very good. This is a japanese hotel- perhaps fruit, veggies, sushi would be more sustaining and nicer. No concierge upstairs, although that is nice but unnecessary.

I love my room- spacious with a great view. For some reason the shower width is tiny and the bathroom has plenty of room for this as well as a tub (also not very large). The shower head could not be bent in anymore and I felt as if my back was against the shower wall when I used it. This was odd. However, the bathroom clean and spacious.

I did get charged for the bar because picking up items meant an automatic charge even if they weren't used, so pay attention to that as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2012

It was a great stay with excellent facilities. The kids enjoyed the pool--which we used almost every day. The hotel is centrally located and is mere blocks from Muni stops--including the famed cable cars.

The staff was courteous and helpful and made our stay even more enjoyable. We will definitely make a return stay on our next visit to the "City By the Bay."

Room Tip: We weren't fortunate enough to stay in a suite but the room we had was on the 14th floor with a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family