Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

What a wonderful old grand lady. We were so impressed with our visit. Very clean, comfortable bed and spacious room. The bathroom was adequate for a building of its age, and we did not have to share. Reasonably priced and very pleasant and helpful staff. Would definitely visit again. 10 stars.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at The Monarch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2019

Dear Guest, To see that we were able to provide our guest with such a wonderful experience is the highest compliment we can receive. Thank you so much for sharing! Best wishes, Hotel Management.

Reviewed March 12, 2019

I admittedly booked this at the last minute. I attended RSA and waited until the week before the conference to book my hotel. I had very low expectations as I knew 60,000 were descending upon SF and all the good hotels would be booked. I read the reviews and thought "at least it's clean." Clean, it was not. My room was disgusting as you can see by the pics. This hotel has not been updated in decades. I spent a little less than $400/night and it wasn't even worth $50. I've stayed in budget hotels/inns and they've always, at a minimum, been clean. I had no blanket on my bed and when I requested one, I received one with what looked like, moth holes. (see pic). The paint was peeling off of the bathroom walls, the chair in the bedroom was broken, the grout between the tiles was abhorrently disgusting. As you can see, the grout is not supposed to be brown; there are clean areas of grout but 90% of it is caked with brown dirt and grime. My towels had tears in them and a fly (A LIVE FLY!) flew out of my towel when I took it out of the rack. I also killed a spider in my bed in the middle of the night. I couldn't sleep in the room b/c it was so foul. I finally dozed off around 4am and woke promptly at 6am so I could flee. This place should be condemned. It's absolutely unconscionable to charge $400/night in a place with spiders in the bed and holes in the cheap velux blankets. I'm also going to complain to the Health Dept as this place is unhygienic. It smells moldy, the carpet is matted and damp and due to the downtrodden state of the room/hotel I'm going to assume that the smell indicates there's mold to match. Go to a Motel 6 or Holiday Inn. You'll have a much cleaner, nicer experience. It's enraging that a hotel owner should be able to charge $400/night for a literal roach motel, simply b/c of its location. It's shameful. Invest just a quarter of the nightly cost into upgrades and a cleaning staff and this could be somewhat decent. I've told everyone I've come in contact with since the day I checked out to never stay at this hotel.

Room tip: Don't stay here
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Guest, We are very disappointed to know that we did not provide you with the wonderful stay that the vast majority of our guests experience with us. Please rest assured that we are addressing the issues that you have raised with the relevant heads of department, and we will ensure that any improvements in these areas that can be made, are made. We appreciate your candid comments, and apologise profusely that we failed to provide you with a satisfactory stay with us. Best wishes, Hotel Management.

Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

Really, that moquette/carpet has seen at least 3-4 generations.. the hotel is old, badly maintained, and not very clean. I got some hair on my bed. Also heating is very noisy.. best part of it is when I left.

Not recommended.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank MaialeWT
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at The Monarch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2019

We are very sorry that your recent stay with us did not live up to your expectations. We are extremely apologetic for the fact that your room had a number of housekeeping and maintenance issues. We will ensure that our management team are aware of your comments, and that remedial action is taken in the areas that you have outlined. We hope that you will notice some improvements when you stay with us again. Best wishes, Hotel Management

Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

A worth recommending place to stay very accessible to shopping malls, classy restaurants and vehicles. The personnel are very accommodating, friendly and courteous. Facilities and amenities are good. The place is free from any form of threat or trouble. It offers to guests an overflowing coffee. Front office personnel are ready to provide answers to queries.

Trip type: Traveled with family
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at The Monarch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2019

Thank you for your strong recommendation - we are delighted to hear that you loved our property and your stay with us so much! We hope to see you again soon! Best wishes, Hotel Management

Reviewed January 19, 2019

I didn't realise until I checked in, but I stayed at this property before at the end of 2010. I had a positive experience in what I recalled as a quaint, friendly hotel. Things have changed.

The quaintness has all gone and been replaced with austerity. Everything is just ordinary and shabby. OK, so it's officially a 2* property, so expectations should be low, but the prices are 3*+ and there are cheaper and nicer options relatively close by in the same category.

The neighbourhood is the biggest issue. The hotel sits across the street from a homeless shelter. This end of Polk Street is pretty shabby to begin with and a touch too close to the Tenderloin district for comfort. The rest of SF is very easily accessible, including Union Square, Civic Centre or Fisherman's Wharf etc., but you need to be wary when around the hotel. There's a LOT of street noise in the rooms and you may well feel uneasy.

The hotel is old. Shabby. Rooms are basic. They are clean enough, but it's a little superficial. Don't inspect too closely. Linens are threadbare. Furniture is battered. The carpets are 'sticky'. They've got flat screen TVs and (very poor and very annoying) free WIFI, a safe, iron, iron board, desk, chair, but it's all so worn out. Noise from room to room is pretty loud.

The bathrooms are circa 1745. Really in need of help. My tub was beaten up, peeling and totally blocked. Within a few minutes of the weak shower running, you're in 4 inches of water. The basin and toilet are newer. There's soap, shampoo, clean towels, hairdryer.

Tea & coffee are available 24/7 in the spacious lobby, where you can sit and hang out, but there's no bottled water or anything in the rooms. You can always drink SF water from the tap without worry.

I had booked 10 nights for a work trip and paid in full, in advance. I still needed 10 nights, but I also needed one night south of the city so I asked if I could check out for one night and come back a day later for my tenth night that I'd paid for. They flatly refused. So much for customer service and helpful spirit. So they got 10 night fees and were able to sell my room again for one night of double fees. Good for them.

It depends how fussy you are. There's nothing intrinsically bad about this hotel, but there's absolutely nothing to cheer about either.

Room tip: Try to avoid being on the front of the building facing noisy Geary Street or the side facing even noisier Polk Street
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Jarko2015
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at The Monarch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2019

We appreciate your candid and detailed feedback, many thanks. Whilst we are pleased that the team member who spoke with you was professional and helpful, we are sorry that so many aspects of your stay disappointed you. We will review in detail all of your comments with our management team, and we will investigate what actions we can take to improve our future guests' experiences with us. Again, we really appreciate your constructive review, and we hope that you might enjoy a better stay with us in the future. Best wishes, Hotel Management