Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2019

I didn't realise until I checked in, but I stayed at this property before at the end of 2010. I had a positive experience in what I recalled as a quaint, friendly hotel. Things have changed.

The quaintness has all gone and been replaced with austerity. Everything is just ordinary and shabby. OK, so it's officially a 2* property, so expectations should be low, but the prices are 3*+ and there are cheaper and nicer options relatively close by in the same category.

The neighbourhood is the biggest issue. The hotel sits across the street from a homeless shelter. This end of Polk Street is pretty shabby to begin with and a touch too close to the Tenderloin district for comfort. The rest of SF is very easily accessible, including Union Square, Civic Centre or Fisherman's Wharf etc., but you need to be wary when around the hotel. There's a LOT of street noise in the rooms and you may well feel uneasy.

The hotel is old. Shabby. Rooms are basic. They are clean enough, but it's a little superficial. Don't inspect too closely. Linens are threadbare. Furniture is battered. The carpets are 'sticky'. They've got flat screen TVs and (very poor and very annoying) free WIFI, a safe, iron, iron board, desk, chair, but it's all so worn out. Noise from room to room is pretty loud.

The bathrooms are circa 1745. Really in need of help. My tub was beaten up, peeling and totally blocked. Within a few minutes of the weak shower running, you're in 4 inches of water. The basin and toilet are newer. There's soap, shampoo, clean towels, hairdryer.

Tea & coffee are available 24/7 in the spacious lobby, where you can sit and hang out, but there's no bottled water or anything in the rooms. You can always drink SF water from the tap without worry.

I had booked 10 nights for a work trip and paid in full, in advance. I still needed 10 nights, but I also needed one night south of the city so I asked if I could check out for one night and come back a day later for my tenth night that I'd paid for. They flatly refused. So much for customer service and helpful spirit. So they got 10 night fees and were able to sell my room again for one night of double fees. Good for them.

It depends how fussy you are. There's nothing intrinsically bad about this hotel, but there's absolutely nothing to cheer about either.

Room tip: Try to avoid being on the front of the building facing noisy Geary Street or the side facing even noisier Polk Street
Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Jarko2015
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at The Monarch Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2019

We appreciate your candid and detailed feedback, many thanks. Whilst we are pleased that the team member who spoke with you was professional and helpful, we are sorry that so many aspects of your stay disappointed you. We will review in detail all of your comments with our management team, and we will investigate what actions we can take to improve our future guests' experiences with us. Again, we really appreciate your constructive review, and we hope that you might enjoy a better stay with us in the future. Best wishes, Hotel Management

Reviewed November 4, 2018

I'm kind of surprised by all the poor reviews. I can believe people have some issues related to the age of hotel but aside from that, there's not much to complain about. It's conveniently located and though it's NEAR the Tenderloin, it's not in it. There are homeless people all over this city. Lobby was huge and staff was welcoming. They had coffee. Desk clerk had trouble finding my reservation but finally did. I received a very good rate on an opaque site. Pull chain on the ceiling fan was broken in the first room so I changed and then it was fine. Bed was comfy. Room was against an alley so pretty quiet and dark made for good sleeping. Furnishings were fine, TV had lots of channels, wifi was decent and it had a fridge, iron and safe. Bathroom was a little old and some tiles were cracked and patched. There was no stopper in the tub. Toiletries were nice and a little upscale. No A/C but ceiling fan was perfect for early November. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. ALSO, I expected the elevator to be an old, tiny, dirty phone booth-sized relic. It wasn't at all. It was clean, moved at a normal speed and was a decent size. It was old but modernized. Why must people complain about such things? Just be happy you don't have to take the stairs.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank norscio
Reviewed October 28, 2018

I imagine the hotel feels old to many people, which is understandable, but for the most part it does what it is supposed to do. Seems to be friendly priced for this part of the city Staff friendly. Did not receive reply on e-mail inquiries beforehand regarding travel to and from hotel but during stay the staff was immediately accommodating on this point. Noise level not as bad as imagined.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2018

This hotel is old, but clean. Our room had a funky smell, but I sprayed it with perfume. The floors creaked all over.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially when the old elevator broke down,the day after we arrived WHEW! We were on the 6th floor and had to climb to our room, The next day when we were leaving the manager came and brought out luggage down to the main floor.

Room tip: Fire trucks with sirens, close by.
Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

Reading the reviews for this place was some of the most fun I’ve had on Agoda in years. No joke... check them out! It’s all polarized!

This said, I didn’t find the place that bad. It’s classic downtown San Fran architecture, which means a bit old. The WiFi is weak in the rooms. And the elevator that scares the bejeezus outta everyone is great—it’s an old school one that jolts after the wooden door slides shut. We loved it!

Staff was also cool, helpful and friendly.

The homeless thing isn’t only an issue here. There are lots of homeless people in San Fran, but they aren’t dangerous. I even stopped and chatted some of these guys up, listened to some wacky life stories. Not recommending it... just saying, I only felt unsafe immediately after having arrived.

It’s not super, but it’s also not that bad. Just a tad overpriced, but then it is San Francisco...

Date of stay: August 2018