The Monarch Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$423
$219
$222
$161
Mystic Hotel(San Francisco)
$155
  • Restaurant
Hilton Parc 55 San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$203
$356
$269
Westin.com
  • Room Service
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$228
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$258
$229
$389
$269
$458
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 12, 2012

While the rooms are small and dated, the queen-size bed was comfortable and the room
appeared very clean. There was a 32" color tv, a small desk and chair, hair dryer, iron and board, a small alarm clock, and a wall heater that worked well. Although I was on the 3rd floor overlooking a busy street (all the rooms appear to have windows), whenever a car honked or sirens went by, it woke me up the first couple of nights (I stayed a total of 4). After that, I slept right through the night. The elevator is ecclectic and small with an old-fashioned pull door you have to pass through to enter, but I never felt unsafe. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Maricel checked me in early, and on the day of my departure, the hotel kept my luggage the entire day so I could continue exploring the city before my 10:30 pm flight out (thanks Phil!). When the light went off in my bathroom, it was replaced within 5 minutes of my calling. Seriously, the EMS station must be right down Geary and they have to come right by the hotel at least once an hour! But that would not detract me from staying again. The hotel is situated right off Van Ness ( a major thorough-fare, and is just up the hill from Macy's and Union Square (the bus brings you back up the hill :). There is a nice little coffee and danish place and a little market right across the street as well. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up and away from Geary and Polk Streets. However, it was kind of fun watching the goings on from my room. The other rooms probably don't face anything but brick walls.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Bethsbeach
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here on 11/10/12 and it was the most horrible experience of my life. We arrived around midnight, there is no parking at the hotel. We parked about a block away ($20 per day), and huffed it to the hotel. On our way past the strip clubs, some of the homeless people started yelling at us. We got into the hotel as quickly as we could and unfortunately it did not get better. The hotel is very old, and the elevator looks original. We got in, and went to the 6th floor. Once we got there it seemed like the elevator dropped a foot and a half before we could get the door open. Completely shaken and freaked out we walked into our room that was barely big enough to squeeze a (Full/Queen) bed and a couple night-stands in. The room smelled like urine and was on the corner of the building. We considered leaving and finding another room, but decided we were too tired to try to find something else. I immediately called to cancel the room for the second night, they refused to cancel it. I booked through http://cheaphotels.com and I was sent back and fourth between them and the front desk employees. I was told by a front desk employee that I would have to speak with a manager in the morning around 7am when they arrived. The bed looked disgusting, and there were stains and rips in the comforter. We "slept" fully clothed, jeans, long sleeve shirts, and towels over the pillows. All hours of the night there were people yelling (seemingly right outside the window), sirens wailing, motorcycles and car stereos rocked the windows. It was absolutely horrible. The next morning we checked out, and the lady at the desk said I should have cancelled the second night of my reservation the night before, I told her I had tried but was told I would have to speak with a manager in the morning and she said she wouldn't be in until 3pm. At the end of the day, I was never refunded my second night, and after repeated calls, was never able to get ahold of a manager there.

Room Tip: avoid at all costs and find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Justin Y
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed there the weekend of a football game, baseball championship game, and Nike marathon, so pickings were slim. We saw that this place had a AAA rating so figured it would be OK.We were wrong. The bedspread was cigarette burned, the toilet door had to be slammed to shut (not pleasant late at night); the hair dryer did not work; the pillows were extremely thin, and only two were provided. The area is loud, and we did not get much sleep the first night. After trying to get a different hotel with no success we asked to be moved and were given a room on the third floor (and the elevator was broken), but we didn't fare much better. We had the same problems with the second room except the the hair dryer did work and the noise was reduced. We are glad to be out of that hotel and back home.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is a very nice place considering the cheaper price. If your looking for a decent place to stay without breaking your bank, this is your place. It is centrally located to walking distance of union square and Fishermans Wharf (30 min walk down Van Ness). It's right next door to Mel's Diner which I believe is 24 hrs and right across the street from Tommy's Joynt (best pastrami sandwich anywhere). My wife and I sightsee during the whole day, only use the hotel to sleep, this was perfect! Room is basic but very clean and safe.

Room Tip: Better to book from hotel's website. After you choose the time and day you want to stay, they will give you a standard rate...then a button appears prompting you to see if there are deals. It went from $215.00 for two nights to $158.00. This neat all of the travel sites such as hotels.com etc.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I feel where you stay affects your experience of a city. Based on that, do not stay here. Loud street noises, weird smells, spotty wifi, supposed remodel, boarded up buildings, panhandlers. It is tempting to stay with the low prices, do yourself a favor and do not stay here.

Room Tip: If they put you in a room that faces the street, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple