“Budget hotel, good and has all the basics, 6 blocks from Union square”
Review of The Monarch Hotel

The Monarch Hotel
Ranked #199 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Husband and I were looking for a downtown location to spend 2 nights while we were going to Outside Lands Music Festival at Golden Gate Park. Basically we just needed a place to crash at night. This hotel was perfect, comfortable bed, clean bathroom. We booked 3 months in advance and got a very good rate. Our room was on the first floor and had plenty on light and air, a street window that is something that in San Francisco even in the fancy hotels you can't get all the times. You could use parking next door from the hotel for $20 or around the corner in a parking garage for $24, we parked on the street and it was safe. The Hotel is located in downtown,close to Theater District, only 6 blocks from Union Square, just don't walk in the other direction towards City Hall because you'll be on the Tenderloin District..anyways that's downtown San Francisco! My only complain would be the people next to our room, some kids arrived in the middle of the night and apparently continued their party in the room but I was just too tired to grab the phone and call front desk, but that had nothing to do with the service of Monarch or their people.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for a cheap price, got a cleanish room but nothing special. If it was a backpacker hotel i would say it's great, but for a price of a regular hotel it falls a bit short, so unless you find a great price I wouldn't recommend it here. The window was broken and wouldn't close properly, so there was a lot of street noise, especially from the choir busing across the street, who sang hourly until well past midnight.

For the price, there are more comfortable places in San Francisco. I wont say it is terrible, but it fell just below my expectations, nothing specific but just not quite up to par all around. If cheap is your main concern this place will do, but otherwise I would reconsider.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Despite some negative reviews...I would say that the hotel is good and I would still recommend it to those people who consider an affordable room rate.
Good location--restaurants nearby....close to Union Square and train station.

Some hiccups: wifi connection is not that strong.it gets disconnected from time to time.
Our room (105) was facing the street....we can hear noises from the streets especially fire truck sirens, which we found uncomfortable when we were about to catch our sleep.

plus points: free coffee and tea at the lobby; good gesture for the cold weather in San Francisco.:-)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The only thing that attracted us to this place was the fact it was cheap. We stayed here on our leg of our California trip without a car (we returned to SF since it was where our outbound flights were but stayed at a different hotel).

The neighbourhood is sketchy. It reeks of urine and alcohol, and it's not a place you want to be around at night time. Fortunately, it was walking distance from Union Square and bus routes to major attractions.

The hotel was old inside and had one of the oldest elevators I've ever seen. The room was a bit dirty and small and the beds were not very comfortable. Wi-fi didn't work more than half the time I was there, and if it did, it was extremely slow. There was also no cold water when we went which made brushing and washing my hands difficult.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went on a road trip with my boyfriend to San Francisco this past weekend. We were there to explore the city and enjoy the music festival, so we don't really need anything fancy. I braced myself for the worst because of some of the reviews but I was actually pleasantly surprised. The staff were helpful. Bathroom and bedroom were always clean. No bedbugs. The room was small but it was perfect for my boyfriend and I. It can get noisy, especially if your room is facing the street (like mine was), but my boyfriend and I didn't have a problem with it. After running around the city and at a music festival all day, you tend to forget about the street noise as soon as you get in bed. The only reason why I didn't give this place 5 stars is because they charge about $21-$24 per night to park your car in their garage. Give us visitors a break! If we're staying at your hotel, it should be basic courtesy to at least give your guest free parking during their stay, especially being so close to bars/clubs. We ended up parking at some parking lot that an Asian man was running. Charged $20 a night, which was ok with us because we would be driving by day. Oh, and make sure to take the elevator (even tho it will seem scary at first)! Taking the stairs up to your 5th floor room is a workout! Other than that, I would stay here again and I would recommend anyone else to stay here as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gee G
Reviewed August 13, 2012

From an architectural standpoint, this looks like an interesting old building. It's located in the "Tenderloin," so it is included in the excitement of that area, but it's on the edge of the district so you don't feel in any real danger. The wi-fi is not very fast, and fairly sporadic. The rooms are somewhat small. The worst aspect, though, is the poor cleaning. Our hotel room had a USED condom in the nightstand drawer, and the carpeting had a grimy feeling to it. We left early, and despite our valid reasons for doing so, they charged us for the days we did not stay. We think insisting on their no cancelation policy in light of the unsanitary practice of not cleaning condoms from the room is unreasonable. We would not stay there again, and we would not recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2012

When my gf booked this hotel i was very skeptical about it, but it has all the basics and was clean.

The hotel is about a mile away from macys which is walkable but probably not advisable to walk when it gets dark.

The hotel has the basic requirements, comfy bed, clean bathroom, wardrobe, fridge and tv.
You don't hear much of the outisde noise but you can hear people in the corridor. We were awoken by a group of people that had a good night at about 1.30am but that was the only disturbance over the three nights we stayed.

Hotel staff were helpful.

Near the hotel it did seem that there were some drug addicts that just went about their business. You do notice the difference in environments as you walk into the city which is a lot cleaner and just feels safer. There were also a few homeless people around the block.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple