“Small, charming, inexpensive.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, MA
“Small, charming, inexpensive.”
Reviewed November 17, 2010

This is a great hotel for budget-conscious travelers in an excellent Union Square location. The rooms are very tiny (more European in size than traditional American hotels) and clean. Because of the age of the hotel, there are not many electrical outlets in the room which can be inconvenient given all the things one needs to plug in today (phone chargers, computers, etc). Bathroom was clean & spacious for the size of the room, but because of the pedestal sink, there really isn't any place to put toiletries. Also, there needs to be another towel rack. Nice flat screen tv & small desk in room; small closet with a safe inside. Two computers & a printer in the lobby, small lounge only open in the early evening. Excellent service, friendly, always available. Surrounded by great little diners and sandwich shops. You do not have to spend a lot of money to enjoy yourself in this neighborhood! Major drawback is the city noise makes it hard to sleep - this is not specific to the King George, as I have experienced similar levels in more expensive Union Sqaure hotels, it is just part of the experience.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We stayed here for two nights and highly recommend it. We got a really great late-booking price and so were thrilled to get a good price. The hotel was small, efficient and friendly. Our room was small but perfect for a city hotel, bathroom spotlessly clean, nice bed. Location was absolutely excellent, right next to Union Square. The lobby internet service worked fine, including complimentary printing for boarding passes, which was welcome. Concierge very nice and efficient to book airport shuttle. We had a drink in the lovely residents' bar one evening, which was very nice indeed. The decor was nicely antique-ish.

One thing they don't mention on their website is that there is a Hertz car-hire return service in the car park right across the road from the hotel - this saved us an overnight parking charge and an extra day's car rental as we arrived on a Sunday and the main rental office was closed so it was great to be able to return the car there. Otherwise the parking seemed very expensive, but I think that appears to be the norm in San Francisco.

Highly recommend it, a great city base at a great price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Brentwood, California
Reviewed November 8, 2010

When I stay out in the city, I'm looking for a clean, inexpensive, spot with some character located next to all my favorite spots, and that's EXACTLY what you get with King George. The hotel isn't spectacular, the rooms aren't enormous, but its next to all the fun the City has to offer, its clean, it has a lot of charm and fun atmosphere, a great price, and the staff is more than helpful. I don't spend much time in the room anyway, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to SF, especially if you're looking for something right in the heart of the fun, its a pain relying on, and paying for, taxi cabs constantly!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed November 7, 2010

I visited San Francisco for a four-day convention. I have been here for this convention many times before, and I have stayed at several hotels near the Moscone Center (not far from Market and Powell). I was on a budget this year (like everyone it seems), so I looked at other hotel options. The big-name hotels near the convention center charge around $300 per night. I booked five nights at the King George for an average of $110 per night.

On a previous visit to San Francisco, I looked at the King George for a possible future stay. Based on that visit through the lobby, I thought it would be worth to stay here. I also looked at reviews on Tripadvisor and elsewhere and found favorable reviews.

The hotel is an older building. The lobby is inviting and bright, and I was pleasantly greeted when I arrived. There is a single elevator serving the hotel. It's a small elevator that can hold four adults in close (but not touching) quarters. There is a staircase as well, although it is narrow, twisting and a little steep. Like I said, this is an older building.

Despite the building's age, the rooms are up-to-date. My room was painted in pleasing shades of green and yellow. The bathroom fixtures are retro, but they are in good condition, and the bathroom overall was very clean. The water pressure and temperature were great. The room itself is smaller than most modern hotel rooms, but it's still comfortable. The king-sized bed, small desk, side chair, TV table and bedside night stands fill most of the space, but there is room to easily walk around. The closet is larger than a typical closet, and a dresser was placed inside.

I would compare the King George to many of the smaller European hotels in which I have previously stayed. I like hotels like this.

I was here in early November, and it happened to be warmer than the typical weather trend. The hotel room had a radiator for heat, which I did not need. There was no air conditioning, which is common in San Francisco. There was a ceiling fan (that ran very quietly), and I could open a window in the evening if was too warm. Even with daytime highs of 83 degrees F, the room was comfortable.

The hotel offers free wireless Internet access, which was another plus. The large business hotels charge extra for Internet use. There are two computers in the lobby for guest free use.

What's nearby? Just about everything. This is downtown San Francisco. Small food markets, liquor stores, pharmacies, department stores, plenty of restaurants, including a diner and French restaurant on either side. The BART station and Market and Powell Street cable car turnaround are just less than three blocks away. Public transportation in San Francisco is stellar, so it's easy to get to any attraction in town. Several rental car companies are nearby (Hertz is across the street, several others are around the corner).

I was very happy with my choice to stay at the King George, and I will gladly stay here again. If you look at my other reviews, you will see that I reserve a full 5 rating for truly outstanding stays. The King George has earned a 5 from me for its value, quality of accommodations and wonderful staff. I have found my ongoing hotel choice for San Francisco. (CS)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelerChriss
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Friendly staff , updated rooms but extremely small room with paper thin walls. I could hear the next room using the toilet, as well as arguments in the hall around 2:30 AM, maid service seemed to be working all day and night and there was talking all night long from outside. You definitely get what you pay for so I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
KingGeorgeMgr, Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We work our hardest to ensure that our guests experience exceptional service, and your comments regarding your visit are taken seriously by our management and staff. We sincerely apologize if you were bothered by the noises from our housekeeping staff, please know that this will be discussed at our next team meeting. We are a historic hotel in a popular downtown neighborhood and noises do travel, but we apologize that you felt it to be too noisy. We are always working to maintain our building, and we take your comments regarding noise seriously, so thank you for them. We aim to deliver an exceptional service experience, and to be the best value in the Union Square neighborhood.

We hope you enjoyed your visit to San Francisco, and thank you for your visit.

Kind Regards,
King George Hotel Management and Staff

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Great location, friendly & helpful staff. Clean, comfortable and quiet room with free WIFI. A pleasant little boutique hotel with a price that is great for the location. Had filling daily breakfast at Mason Cafe next door. Tried Lori’s Diner also next door : slow service, not great food.

• Stayed September 2010
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I was very happy with my stay at the King George Hotel. Upon arriving at the hotel the registration staff was very friendly and helpful. I was able to switch from a double bed room to a queen bed room with no hassles or arguements. The room was small but very nicely furnished and very clean. An added bonus was the 24 hour diner located right downstairs. The hotel bar closed at 9:00 which is way too early for me, but there are some fine establishiments litterally right around the corner. I would certainly and happily stay there again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business