“Excellent boutique hotel near the heart of Union Square. ”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of King George Hotel

Ranked #84 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Excellent boutique hotel near the heart of Union Square. ”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel and the renovations will obviously add to it's charm. The staff was the nicest group of people I've had help us at any hotel. They were always happy to answer questions and accommodate us. Which is exactly what they did when we arrived at 10 am on our check in day. They had us in a room within 10 mins with no extra charge for early check in.

Yes the rooms are smaller but ours was renovated. It worked for us as we were rarely in the room. Only small downside was no fan in the bathroom.

Other pluses... The free wifi is actually free as well as the coffee, tea, and water in the lobby. The valet is $40 a day after tax. In San Francisco this is amazing.

Location is amazing! Right near Union Square in the heart of downtown. We were happy to see a 24 hour diner across the street and a liquor store 30 feet up on the corner. There is also a Lori's 50's diner next door and a jack in the box across the street. Plenty of other restaurants and shopping nearby.

I would absolutely stay here again! Bravo to the staff for being good at that their jobs and happy nice people overall.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hugs4tree
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback concerning your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments regarding our centralized Union Square location and the friendly and personalized service provided by our staff. I'm glad we were able to check you in early and that you enjoyed our free Wi-Fi and complimentary coffee. As you noticed, we’re in the midst of a room renovation and we'll look forward to your return visit the next time your travels bring you to beautiful San Francisco.

King George Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Enjoyed our stay at the King George hotel. Yes, it is old, but it is fine. The hallways are narrow, the elevator is small, and in the bathroom you have to close the door to sit on the toilet! But, It reminded me of a simpler time when we were not so concerned about excess. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the service good. Would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Njoytravl
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. Glad to hear you were pleased with the friendly service provided by the staff along with the cleanliness and comfort of your room. I am pleased to inform you that we are in the process of a room renovation project that includes newly remodeled bathrooms. We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future!

Bertrand Newson
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights. I was allocated a room on the top floor (9th). The room was quite small but had everything I needed and was clean and comfortable.

I must say the room came across very dated and speaking to the staff they were very happy to say a major refurbishment was under way. It didn't put me off but did encourage mme not to spend much time in tthe hotel.

The hotel is located in an excellent location and the staff were friendly and very courteous. I am sure this place will be even better once the refurbishments are complete.

Also if it could provide light meals at the bar this wouldn't be a bad thing, advertisements suggested they offered this but no sign of it when I was in the bar.

Anyway if the hotel read this, thank you for a comfortable stay and being in a great location!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear James S,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We read every review on Tripadvisor and we appreciate your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding our centralized location and our clean and comfortable accommodations. As you noticed, we’re in the midst of a room renovation that will address several of your observations. I’m confident you’ll enjoy the new contemporary décor and efficient room layout. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Super location...yes, it's tired and needs work but they are in the process of that so it will be great when complete. Cafe Mason next door is delicious for breakfast. We didn't have any issues with cleanliness and the staff was very helpful to us. The one elevator is small and takes a while at times but we were never in a hurry. We enjoyed our stay. Thanks King George staff!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Let me start with the good points of the King George Hotel. The location is excellent. We took the BART to Powell St. and it was an easy walk to the hotel. One point for that. The staff greeted us and was very friendly, we were able to check in around 1:30 which was before the designated check in time.

When we arrived in our room we were a bit shocked at how small it was but it was doable. We knew we wouldn't be in there that much and so we thought it was OK until........we went in the bathroom. Surprise, hair everywhere and let me say it was not ours. Hair on the floor and hair on the wall of the tub. The sink and the tub were not draining and the hair dryer was not working. It was broken. We called the front desk and ask for another room and were told they would get back to us. By 9:30 we didn't hear so we called back, spoke to another person at desk who had NO idea we had called and complained. We told the first person to get a pad and pencil to write down our list.

After the 2nd call (which we shouldn't have had to make) maintenance came up, let us see the other room and we ended up moving everything at 10 PM at night. The 2nd room was bigger and seemed to work better. Until........we went into the bathroom yet again and found more hair. On the floor and in the tub. We stopped at the desk and reported this yet again with our new room. We never head anything for management or the front desk. Upon our return to the room at 7:30 PM that evening I went to shower and went I undid the towel to dry off guess what I found? You got it, another hair, a long hair, not mine. We ended up taking the "evidence" to the front desk in the towel and asked them again to please clean our bathroom and room better-just like was asked on prior days. Again, no word from the manager, no apology, nothing. On our final night we stopped at the desk again and spoke to Daniel. He as THE MOST helpful of all the staff. He took down everything we had issues with, he said he had no idea that we had even voiced complaints which was concerning to him. He took our email and phone nos so he could write this up for the GM. He offered to buy us a drink in their lounge as an apology for not acting sooner during our stay. We asked for a discount or some type of compensation for the stay. We ended up checking out very early and paid full price. I feel like this is something that should've been decided and resolved before our checkout .We complained each day, why was no one listening until the final night? We are excepting a phone call or email from the GM with a satisfactory resolution, so far nothing.

Overall, the value is good, the location is good but the housekeeping is not. Under sink all the fixtures are rusted and there was dirt and dust built up. The housekeeping does not do a good enough job of cleaning. Regardless of how much time we spend in the room, it needs to be clean and without hair. I read another review posted 2 weeks ago mentioned they had a problem with hair on trip advisor as well. So we aren't the only people who complained.

This is a noisy hotel-be prepared. You won't get good sleep. They did inform they are putting in new windows.

I hope the GM will contact us and make it right. I am not holding my breath though. Would I stay here again? Probably not, I'd probably do a Hilton or Marriott or another newly renovated or nicer boutique hotel in Union Square. I think it just took too long to get someone's attention on this matter and it should be about the guest's comfort and satisfaction.

Room Tip: Stay away from alley room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank WVClairenmaddy
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and we value your business. We appreciate your candid comments regarding the cleanliness of your room and the overall service you received from the staff and we apologize for failing to meet your expectations. I’m aware that my Guest Service Manager has been in recent contact with you and I’m happy to do the same as your feedback has served as a valuable training opportunity for my staff.

As you may have noticed, we’re in the process of undergoing a room renovation and window replacement project in an effort to provide a better stay experience. I’d welcome the opportunity to have you back as my guest when your travels bring you back to San Francisco.

Regards,
Bertrand Newson
Folsom, California
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Over the past few years I have stayed at a few of these older SF hotels and this was certainly the best of them. I stayed in room 701 and although it was small everything I needed was there. The hotel staff was excellent. Although the room could have used some TLC there were no issues. There was quite a bit of street noise but that is expected in these older SF hotels. My only compliant is that the wireless internet was not very reliable... but it was free.

Room Tip: I liked room 701,
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear TomInFolsom,
We appreciate your business and I'm glad you enjoyed the excellent service provided by our staff during your stay. I apologize for the noise issue you encountered and I’m happy to share that as part of our current renovation we’re replacing windows to improve the soundproofing and minimize noise issues in addition to a new room layout with contemporary decor. Also, we’ll follow up on your observation regarding the speed of our free Wi-Fi signal. We hope you visit us again the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed six nights recently. The hotel is well located and there are many good restaurants in the area. The staff are also friendly and helpful. Unfortunately it can be very noisy at night. My first night a street person starting playing the drums (not sure if they were real drums or garbage cans) at 1:30 am and continued until about 3:00am. The window in the room was single pane and all the noise came through. Others in my group said the same thing happened two nights later. I switched to a room on the alley O'Farell side which was much quieter. The rooms are not large but are fairly comfortable. There was no real desk in the room. It was more like a table in the corner above the heat. Rates were very reasonable.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear charlsp,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and we appreciate your business. We're glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and our friendly staff. We apologize for the noise issue you encountered and are pleased to share that as part of our current renovation, we’re replacing the windows to improve soundproofing and minimize exterior noise. We hope you visit us again the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.