“King George is OK”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Folsom, California
“King George is OK”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Over the past few years I have stayed at a few of these older SF hotels and this was certainly the best of them. I stayed in room 701 and although it was small everything I needed was there. The hotel staff was excellent. Although the room could have used some TLC there were no issues. There was quite a bit of street noise but that is expected in these older SF hotels. My only compliant is that the wireless internet was not very reliable... but it was free.

Room Tip: I liked room 701,
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear TomInFolsom,
We appreciate your business and I'm glad you enjoyed the excellent service provided by our staff during your stay. I apologize for the noise issue you encountered and I’m happy to share that as part of our current renovation we’re replacing windows to improve the soundproofing and minimize noise issues in addition to a new room layout with contemporary decor. Also, we’ll follow up on your observation regarding the speed of our free Wi-Fi signal. We hope you visit us again the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

King George Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed six nights recently. The hotel is well located and there are many good restaurants in the area. The staff are also friendly and helpful. Unfortunately it can be very noisy at night. My first night a street person starting playing the drums (not sure if they were real drums or garbage cans) at 1:30 am and continued until about 3:00am. The window in the room was single pane and all the noise came through. Others in my group said the same thing happened two nights later. I switched to a room on the alley O'Farell side which was much quieter. The rooms are not large but are fairly comfortable. There was no real desk in the room. It was more like a table in the corner above the heat. Rates were very reasonable.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear charlsp,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and we appreciate your business. We're glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and our friendly staff. We apologize for the noise issue you encountered and are pleased to share that as part of our current renovation, we’re replacing the windows to improve soundproofing and minimize exterior noise. We hope you visit us again the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

The King George is in a nice location, off Union Square. The staff is friendly and helpful and there is plenty to do nearby. But the hotel is dated, dated, dated. The renovation has started, but needs to go faster. Old carpet, beds and bathroom. If the price is right, it is clean, but there are nicer, newer hotels nearby.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Cookie-Jar-Butte
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the King George Hotel and for providing us with your valuable feedback. We appreciate your comments regarding our convenient location, just steps from Union Square, and our friendly and helpful staff. We look forward to your next visit with us as you’ll have more options to choose from with our standard, deluxe and superior room types as the result of our renovations.

Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

We really liked this hotel. I checked out many hotels when researching our trip to SF. King George was one of my top picks. It won out when I checked on pricing & the website offered an additional discount for pre-paying. I did that & ended up paying just under $80/night! In San Francisco! In a decent area! Near the BART!

The building is historic I suppose. The rooms are smaller than a chain hotel on the interstate, but it has waaay more character. We were on the 9th floor & had a great view to the northeast across downtown.

Some reviews complained about street noise. I hardly noticed it. City noise can't be avoided anywhere I suspect, so bring earplugs.

I recommend this hotel because of the price, character, location & proximity to mass transit.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SweetHopfrog
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your recent stay at the King George Hotel. We’re glad you enjoyed the value of our historic location as we sit in the heart of the Union Square shopping and restaurant district and very close to public transportation. We're so pleased that you would recommend our hotel based on your experience!

We look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit to San Francisco.

Antioch, CA
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We checked into the King George Hotel for one night to celebrate a birthday. We are from San Francisco and the surrounding area and now live about 60 miles away; so coming into the city is like coming home. We choose this hotel because of its proximity to Union Square for shopping and Biscuit and Blues for some entertainment at night. The location was perfect!

The hotel itself is housed in an older building with a lot of character. The lobby area was beautifully decorated as was the bar/lounge area located behind the lobby. Check-in was smooth. We were immediately upgraded to an Executive King Room located on the first floor. The Front Desk personnel was friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel's only elevator was VERY small and slow but thankfully our room was located up one flight of stairs for easier access. There were the original small winding staircase located next to the elevator but there was a wider staircase located to the rear near the bar/lounge that was more practical.

The room was cozy and clean with VERY low ceilings. My husband is 6'4 and his head was a mere inches from the ceiling and myself at 5'6 could actually touch the ceiling with my fingertips. There was one small window that overlooked the back of other buildings that didn't offer much in the way of natural light. However, there was other light sources that brightened up the room some. The room was functional with a nice flat screen tv, large desk, and small coffee maker. The bed was comfortable with just the right amount of covers. The heater was very quiet and kept the room toasty. The free wifi worked well. The bathroom was a shower only and had nice bath products. The exfoliating bar soap in the shower was amazing.

Valet parking was easy and reasonable when you consider the price of parking in Union Square; very convenient.

The only negative that I noted was the two errant hairs left in the bathroom. I dropped something that rolled under the open vanity in the bathroom. When I went to retrieve it, I noticed a hair that was left behind. No problem, I could reasonable give housekeeping a pass at having missed this one. Unfortunately, while showering, I happened to notice another hair stuck on the shower wall. That one is not so forgivable as it should have been easy to see while cleaning the shower stall.

Other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel to business travelers or anyone looking for a good central location to explore the great city of San Francisco.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ebwhyte
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your recent stay with us. We're glad to hear you were pleased with the charming decor of our hotel and the exceptional service you received from the staff as well as our centralized location to the renowned Union Square Area for shopping, dining and entertainment. We hope you enjoyed your time at Biscuit and Blues! Our sincere apologies regarding the cleanliness of your room and I’ve addressed this matter with my housekeeping team. We’d welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future!

Bertrand Newson
CA, USA
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is a nice hotel in a great location…..but BOOKIT.com did a terrible job. They did not tell me that the hotel was under construction and while the hotel staff was great and very accommodating, bookit.com failed badly. They didn't note the construction and didn't follow-thru with ANY of the extras that were promised. No restaurant gift card, no discounts promised, nothing. I called and asked for assistance but ended up suggesting that someone (like a mgr) get back to me today (but haven't heard anything yet). I guess bookit.com is good at taking your money but not so great (this time) at providing any service worth a damn!! Too many aggregators to put up with bookit.com….. Once the hotel is completed, it should be good again.

Room Tip: beds very hard!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Marc L,
We value your business and thank you for choosing the King George Hotel during your recent stay in San Francisco. I’m glad you felt the staff was very accommodating tending to your needs while the hotel is in the midst of a room renovation project. Please let us know if we can assist you in reaching out to the travel company you booked your reservations through. We look forward to your next visit with us as your travels bring you back to San Francisco.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our friends and myself stayed here and it is without doubt the most warm lovely place. The staff are just purely amazing and very helpful! Especially this one lady who was so kind to all of us. It was without doubt perfectly friendly. The hotel is nice clean and very cozy. You feel like you are at home. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the King George Hotel. We're so pleased to read that you had an exceptional experience in part due to our "amazing" and helpful staff. Guest service is our first priority and we appreciate your acknowledgment. We're also happy that you enjoyed our clean and comfortable accommodations and that we could help make you feel at home away from home. We eagerly look forward to your next visit.

Bertrand Newson