“Rustic hotel in the heart of the city”

King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #90 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed four nights at the King George Hotel when visiting the city on business in August 2013.

The King George is a really old, quaint building with almost a hundred years of history. If you like modern hotels, you will find its dark corridors and the shaky, old elevator rather creepy. However, I did feel like I was experiencing part of San Francisco's history by staying here.

The room I got on the 8th floor was nice and airy, though the radiator and ceiling fan offered little climate control, and the room was a little too chilly even in August. People who like modern furnishings should stay away - the room I stayed in was spartan by Asian hotel standards. A gaping hole where the radiator outlet went out of the building, and peeling paint on the walls did not make for a very plush looking space. It also smelled too much of cheap lemon-scented cleaner. However, the room was indeed clean and I was rather surprised by the good quality of sleep the bed provided. The bed was a traditional, wooden Western style bed with thick mattresses and was always well made.

I did not come across many members of the staff during my stay, but those that I met were nice and friendly. Room service was from the diner next door to the hotel, which was average at best, and scary at times. I did not quite like the fact that my breakfast sausages were covered in oil blackened with charred pieces of food. The laundry service was prompt and rates were reasonable.

The King George Hotel is located in the heart of San Francisco City, so it is a good starting point to explore the place. Golden Gate Bridge was quite a long bus ride away, but other city attractions such as the cable cars, Union Square and shopping malls were just a short walk away.

There are plenty of diners, cafes and restaurants in the immediate area around the King George Hotel. However, avoid the grocery store at the corner of the street just steps away from the hotel's main entrance. That grocery store seems to sell food and drinks at exorbitant princes (100 ml of drinking water for $2, and instant ramen noodles were $3). Instead, head over to the Wallgreens supermarket and drugstore just a street away from the hotel where prices are much, much cheaper ($2 for a 500 ml bottle of drinking water).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco and we appreciate your business. Thank you for your candid comments and we are glad to hear you enjoyed our central location, friendly staff and historic charm. I’m happy to share that we’ll be starting a room renovation starting early next year.

We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Bertrand Newson
King George Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,575)

Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

This place far exceeded my expectations. Very affordable, great location and very friendly staff who accommodated my every request. Will definitely stay here if I ever visit S.F. again, THANKS KING GEORGE STAFF FOR A WONDERFUL STAY!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank menomore5
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your "Awesome" review! I appreciate your acknowledgement of our friendly staff, great value, and excellent location, just steps from Union Square. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here! The room was small, but very cute, freshly painted and clean. There was a closet for our luggage, and a shower with great water pressure. The location is awesome, being right behind Union Square. A very short walk to restaurants, the ACT, etc. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if every room has a bathroom, so double check. Also, ask for a room away from the e...
1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Our experience at this hotel was great. The room was clean, we never had any issues with the room. It was fairly quiet considering the location. Very peaceful. The staff was great, answered any question and was very helpful.

1  Thank Cjconry

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your business and thank you for the kind comments regarding the quality of service and cleanliness of your room! We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

My mom and I really enjoyed our stay at the King George in November. It was clean, friendly, had helpful staff and great location! The elevator is pretty slow so we often took the stairs so not great if you are a wheelchair or stroller guest but great if you are able bodied. Great coffee and tea available each morning and a bunch of diners nearby with good options. Or you can request a fridge and they will bring it to your room based on availability so we chose to buy groceries for daily breakfasts. If you are looking for clean and good location, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Jessica L.,
We value your feedback and thank you for your recent stay the King George Hotel! We’re very pleased you enjoyed the customer service, overall quality of your room and the convenient location of our hotel near many dining establishments. We’d welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

18 phone calls placed to arrange shipment of a package left in my room 2 days ago. While they have confirmed they have the bag, no one makes the slightest attempt to assist me having it mailed to me. They just keep sending my call to a message machine. Asked to speak to a manager and was told there is no manager for me to speak with.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Kjansz,
First, I want to thank you for choosing the King George Hotel for accommodations during your travels to San Francisco. We value your feedback and welcome any suggestions on how we can improve our level of service. Please accept my sincere apology for the delay in returning your phone call regarding the item you left behind and I’m glad that we were able to locate and return it to you via mail.

We welcome the opportunity to accommodate you in the future and appreciate you bringing the above observations to our attention.

Bertrand Newson

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just got back from a weekend in San Francisco and a lovely stay at the King George Hotel. Our room was clean, comfortable and nicely appointed. Room was somewhat small but with the king bed plenty of room for two people to get around in easily. Very quiet as we had a room at the back of the hotel. Hotel staff was wonderful and very pleasant to deal with on every level. We enjoyed our stay and will return again. Thanks to the King George Hotel for such a pleasant stay and great service.

1  Thank Steffenino
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
We value your business and thank you for choosing the King George Hotel during your recent travels to San Francisco! We’re pleased to hear you felt you room was comfortable and quiet. I’ll be sure to share with my staff that you enjoyed the overall quality of service you received and we welcome the opportunity to accommodate you again in the future.