This hotel has a great location that it is just around the corner from Union Square on a safe street. Also, if you do a bit of research, you'll find that compared to other hotels in San Francisco, which is a very expensive city, its rates are lower than most hotels in safe neighborhoods (and San Francisco has some very sketchy areas). Be aware that this hotel is almost 100 years old, which I like but not everyone will. It means that the rooms are very small and the closet in our room on the top floor was about as minimal as you can get. The bathroom was clean but also small.The lobby staff were extremely helpful and friendly and although there is no breakfast in the hotel, there are plenty of places nearby to eat. The Powell Street cable car going to Fisherman's Wharf is a short walk away.
Tips: If you are renting a car in San Francisco, all the main agencies have pick-up locations right across the street in the parking garage. By taking the airport shuttle to the hotel, you can save on airport surcharges, exorbitant parking charges in SF, and a car is unnecessary in SF anyway, so you can pick up the car only when you leave. The Powell Street cable car has huge lines at its starting point but if you use the Union Square stop just up the street, the driver usually saves a few places for pick-ups there. There is a nice seating area in Winston's Bar in the hotel and the bar has a happy hour every night. Finally, SF is plagued with panhandlers. Just ignore them and they'll go on to easier marks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience comfort and style in downtown San Francisco. The King George Hotel is surrounded by the energy of Union Square and is an ideal hotel destination to return to after exploring the renowned sights and attractions of the "City by the Bay." Guests of our San Francisco LGBT-friendly boutique hotel will discover comfortable accommodations and on-site amenities such as Winston's Bar and Lounge, a San Francisco wine bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- King George San Francisco
- Hotel King George
- King George Hotel San Francisco