“Cheap private room in San Fran”

King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #87 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 15, 2012

If you get the 30% off deal, this place is decent value. I stayed here 5 nights. The location is convenient to loads of cool little pubs and diners (Lefty O'Doul's is great) and a short stroll to the BART station which goes to the airport. The bar downstairs has a couple of decent deals and a quirky attendant who is good value. There are computers and a printer downstairs which is free to use.

Unfortunately the wifi cuts out a lot and is slow at the best of times. There are a few homeless people out the front. The room and bathroom are very small and don't have a fridge or microwave so you are forced to eat out. Most tourist attractions are a long walk.

Some guy was protesting very loudly against Hotel Frank across the road every day when I was there. He had a megaphone and didn't stop all day everyday, sometimes starting as early as 6am. I found his catchy tunes entertaining at first but it got tiring pretty quick.

5 nights is about the maximum I could recommend here but its not the worst.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank GerardT_12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed April 13, 2012

Very clean with great maid service... Everyone at the hotel was very friendly... The room was small, but had everything I needed for a comfortable sleep... I was able to make hot tea and coffee in the room... Plenty of hot water for taking a shower or bath... The bathroom included a hair drier... Windows that opened to let in the fresh San Francisco air and sounds of the City... A very nice flat screen TV... It also had a nice walk-in closet with a safe... I was able to iron my clothes right in the room... It had everything I could have asked for and more... I'm not much of a drinker, so I missed out on their Winston Lounge... In any case, I'll be sure to remember the King George Hotel the next time I visit the City...

Room Tip: Buy one of those MUNI passes... I saved a fortune and was able to use it for the Trollies, Cable Ca...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Roger W
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I am currently staying in this joke of a hotel. No proper room service, they order in from a diner. I had to eat from cardboard boxes on the corner of my bed. The photos make the place look luxurious, its not. You will feel duped. I've stayed in nicer hostels. Incidentally there is a hostel 2 doors up serves food. I was told i was in the quietest room and it is nothing short of noisy! When I complained about the noise from the street I was told to close my window. When I told them it didnt open, they said it was the quietest room in the hotel. The free WiFi is slower than dial-up. Seriously I have no idea how this is a 3 star, Its not even a proper hotel! If you like homeless people they have loads pestering you outside. Its not on Union square, that's a lie.

Room Tip: "Stay somewhere else"
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize that you weren’t able to get a good night’s sleep and we’re planning on replacing doors and windows in an effort to help reduce the amount of exterior noise in our rooms. We’re in the process of upgrading our wi-fi infrastructure to improve the online performance of our internet signal. Finally, we are very sorry to hear that the room service arrangement we have with a well-known local dining establishment failed to meet your expectations. We hope you give us the opportunity to “make it right” and accommodate you the next time your travels bring you to beautiful San Francisco.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,

Staff & Management
King George Hotel

Reviewed March 26, 2012

Pros: one block off Union Sq, close to shopping and public transit.

Cons (expected for the price): tiny room, thin walls, drafty.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I found the King George to be a lovely older hotel at a great location, within walking distance to the BART Station and Union Square. Our room, far from the elevator, quiet except for street noise, was small but very clean and comfortable enought for two. The wall mounted television was large and in good working condition, good lighting with three lamps and overhead lights and ceiling fan. In-room coffee maker with a selection of tea as well as coffee was greatly appreciated each morning. The bathroom was extremely small, but had an unlimited amount of hot water, big bath towels, wonderful bath products and good working hairdryer. The hotel staff was very friendly and happy to assist. The King George Hotel was an excellent value that I would highly recommend to my friends!

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors away from elevator are less noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank nancy p
Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days whilst exploring the city. For the price we paid, it's very good value for money. Yes, the rooms are small, but if you're out all day how much space do you need? It's still got room for a desk, 2 chairs and bedside tables. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower was quite powerful. There is a closet room- unfortunately nowhere to hang clothes, but there is a chest of drawers. The staff are very friendly and helpful! I notice a few people have commented on the noise levels. This was not a problem for us, and we don't come from a city.

The only down side was the slow Internet connection in our room.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The King George is in a very convenient location for a fairly decent rate, however you may end up having many sleepless nights between the poory insulated windows, slamming doors, elevator, guests & hotel employees working (and talking loudly at all hours) in the hallways; and let's not forget you neighbours in the next room (can hear every word and their 4am alarm). MIght have better sleep out in the street...5 sleepless nights

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank STNS16
KingGeorgeMgr, General Manager at King George Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad your felt our location was very convenient location wise. We apologize for the noise issues that caused your stay to be less than satisfactory. We are starting a major door replacement project in the near future along with a window replacement project later in the year to reduce the amount of exterior noise in our rooms. We hope you give us the opportunity to accommodate you the next time your travels bring you to beautiful San Francisco.

Bertrand Newson