WINNER WONDERLAND

The Tuscan
Ranked #40 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Excellent spot on the piers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice place. The pillows are excellent. Nice linens and soothing color scheme in the room. Wine hour was nice too. Great walking distance to Pier 39, the trolley turnaround to go downtown.
We got street parking on the first night, then used the garage on the opposite corner for only $30, which is cheaper than the valet.

• Stayed April 2013
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi Susan - Thanks for the nice comments. Glad you liked what we've done with the place. All new beds too! Hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We checked in after midnight - exhausted from trans atlantic, then trans continental flights. The room we were given had a strong odor of cig. smoke but the front desk quickly switched us to an equally comf. and smoke free room. The hotel was modest, clean, quiet, and served delicious coffee each morning. We enjoyed the fireplace and found the concierge very candid and helpful in finding some great mid week jazz venues in SF. You cannot beta this venue for walking distance to all of Fish. Wharf, North Beach, Chinatown, Downtown Makt. and Polk St. (we like to walk) This was our first experience with Best Western, and now we are hooked to the chain!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi 5hybrids - Thanks for staying with us, glad to see that everything ended up working out ok and you're now a fan! We look forward to your next visit.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel is located very well. You are within 10 minutes at Pier 39, Giraldy's square, street car stop, cable car stop and there is a trader's joe at the back of the hotel. The rooms are not big, but also not small. The bed was comfortable. The shower was good (temperature and pressure), but I don't like the shower in the bath set-up. the wifi was free and of very good speeds. A very nice touch was the completary wine reception every evening between 5 and 6. They do not have self parking, but they offer valet parking, which is expensive (but not more expensive than anyweher else)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi Robza - Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. Much appreciated!
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

A neat inn in a great location. We were deciding between staying at Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square and settled on this. Walking distance to attractions and readonably quiet part of town. As with all of SF, a bus stop isn't far at all and parking is rarely included.

We asked for a room change as the first was letting in a lot of light. This was met with no fuss.

Just note rooms are on the small side and gym is not included though they will sell a pass for $12 to the 24hr Fitness next door. Close to a Safeway and Walgreens too. WiFi is fast.

1 Thank dirrill
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi dirrill - Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments. Glad a room change went smoothly and you were able to have a great SF experience! Thanks for your kind words.
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

First of all...

I had a room booked for one night at the Best Western Plus Americana in San Francisco. Then I read too many reviews about the Americana having bed bugs. So I decided to switch to the Tuscan. I Googled "Best Western Tuscan Inn" on my iphone and the first thing that pulled up was a map and an option to call/get directions/website (if you have an iphone you know what I'm talking about). I clicked "call" and got to a woman who specifically said "Best Western INTERNAL RESERVATIONS" when she answered the phone. I told her I wanted to change my reservation from the Americana to the Tuscan. She said she'd be happy to help and asked for some basic information, reservation dates, etc. Then she asked me if it would be ok to charge my credit card to hold the specific room I wanted. I said yes, ONLY if she was 100% sure I would not be charged for the room at the Americana, since I was calling after 6pm local time which was the cut off for changes and cancellations. She assured me I would not so I said ok. Then she gave me a confirmation number for the booking at the Tuscan and I asked for a confirmation number for the cancellation at the Americana. This is where things went downhill.

She said to cancel at the Americana I had to call them directly and cancel. I questioned her as to why I had to do that? I asked if she was their internal reservation employee couldn't she handle those changes without me having to call the hotel directly? Then she admitted she worked for a separate company who does discounted bookings for Best Western. So I told her to cancel the charge to my card that I would rather deal with Best Western directly myself. She told me she couldn't cancel the charge because The Tuscan also had a no changes/cancellation policy after 6pm and it was too late, I'd be charged one night for the room whether I stayed there or not.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who barely spoke English and all she wanted to do was insult me and tell me it was my fault for not calling the right number. I explained to her that online this was the number that pulled up for reservations at The Tuscan and that when they answered the phone they said Best Western Internal Reservations so why would I think I was talking to anyone other than Best Western. She was extremely rude and unhelpful and should be fired.

I wound up hanging up on her because she clearly was more interested in insulting me than doing something to fix it. I went to bestwestern.com and got the reservations number from there. A very nice girl helped me and I got my reservation canceled at the Americana with no fee and the room got booked at the Tuscan. But here's the thing...the scam company takes the reservations and faxes them to the hotels. When I called Best Western directly 15 minutes later, they still didn't have my reservation at The Tuscan in the computer because the room had not been booked yet. All that supervisor had to do was stop the fax. Be very careful who you call and make sure to ask, even if they say they are Best Western on the phone they may not be!

Anyway...when I arrived at the hotel itself the Asian girl working the desk was rude as could be. My room was supposed to have one king bed and a sleeper sofa but I asked if I could have a room with two queens or doubles instead. Without even letting me finish my request she sighed and cut me off to say they were completely sold out of rooms and mine was the only one I could have.

I got to the room and it was incredibly hot inside. I had to run the AC for a good hour before it was tolerable. And the room had no sleeper sofa! I called the front desk and they said I booked though Expedia (which I did not...the reservation confirmation I got from the scam artist company was called rooms-something NOT Expedia) and did not book a room with a sleeper sofa. So I had to call the scam company and they said they did book me a room with the sofa and it was the hotels fault. I was on the phone until 1am trying to get it straightened out. The hotels offer was to give me another room with just one king bed, so I'd have two rooms (funny how they suddenly had another room when they were supposedly sold out) but that wasn't an option since I was traveling alone with four kids. I couldn't just put my kids in another room on the other side of the hotel and surely they knew that. In the end they wound up giving me $50 (which has still not been credited to my card) and I slept on a cold mildewy floor on a blanket. Not at all what I expected for over $200, plus a pet fee, plus a ridiculous charge for parking. Not to mention, the sheets were dirty, the garbage in the bathroom had used tissues in it, and it was just dirty overall. And every single person who works there has their hand out for tips. I get that you are supposed to tip them, but these people weren't leaving you alone until they got the size tip they wanted. Horrible experience that I would not repeat ever again if they paid me to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank SillySallySews
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hi SillySallySews - Never like to hear that any of our guests receive less than courteous, friendly and professional treatment. There's never an excuse for poor service. I've sent a private note to you and will look forward to speaking with you at your convenience.
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My friend and I just spent a weekend at your hotel. We found everyone there very nice and helpful. Special thanks to Thomas Macgregor at the front desk for extra attention with anything we needed. He did a wonderful job making us feel welcome. Your happy hour was a great way to meet with others from all over the world. We found the hotel clean nicely decorated and a very very cozy feeling to it. Thanks for a great experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank margie d
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi margie d - Thanks for the 5 Star review and the very nice comments about the hotel, Thomas and the rest of the team. We're so pleased you had a fabulous time!
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in March 2013. Excellent location for all tourist attractions. Hotel room was very comfortable and staff very helpful. Enjoyed the free wine as it was a very socialable end to the day. Also, got an unexpected complimentary continental breakfast, which was good as it saved us time looking around in the mornings for somewhere to eat and as we were only there for 2 days this was a positive addition. Would certainly recommend hotel to anyone visiting SF.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zackboy
Ed S, Manager at The Tuscan, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hi zackboy - Thanks for the 5 Star review and the great comments, most appreciated. Glad we exceeded your expectations!