“Great bargain, would definately stay here again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #104 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Springfield, Missouri
“Great bargain, would definately stay here again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

Small rooms, slowest elevator in the world, but imaculate, friendly, great location, and a definate bargain in one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. My husband and I, both in our late 50's, were charmed by the friendliness of the staff. We never had to call for anything, so I can't comment on how they resolve issues. There weren't any! We met people in the breakfast room and in the elevator from all over the world.

Ease of getting to public transportation was wonderful. So close to Chinatown, in addition to some massive shopping opportunities and wonderful Union Square. Thanks to the reviewers at this site, we picked this place, and was so glad we did.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2010

I've stayed in this hotel several times in the past. This time, I arrived in mid-June when the weather (Saturday-Sunday) was very atypical of San Francisco ... it was hot and nearly in the 90-degree Farenheit scale! So I limited my time outdoors and would stay in my room (queen room on the 7th floor where I had the view of Powell Street and cable cars) to take a break from the heat by watching TV, reading, or taking a nap.

The room drapes helped in blocking the very bright sunlight and I just turned on the lamps when I needed to. It could get stuffy in the room so I opened the windows and turned on the ceiling fan where I felt comfortable enough.

There was an ice machine around the corner in the TV /computer/lounge room behind the ground floor elevator. There were plastic buckets that I filled with ice whenever I went back to my room to help me cool down. I bought liter water bottles from nearby Walgreens store (why open $5/bottle beverages in the room?) that kept me hydrated.

I arrived before 10 am at the hotel and I knew that the check-in was at 3 pm so I had my luggage stowed first while I took my time out in the city. Since it was a hot day, after getting a fast food meal (I went several times to Jollibee's restaurant on Fourth Street and Howard during my SF stay), I went to Metreon and watched a movie (Robin Hood). The cool air conditioning indoors was a relief.

I returned to the hotel shortly before 3 pm after some window shopping at Macy's. My room was ready by then and decided to stay in to rest. I left the hotel at about 8:30 pm when it was a little cooler to walk around Union Square and take the F-line to Fisherman's Wharf. It wasn't completely dark when I left the hotel and the nap invigorated me so it was actually nice to be out and about.

I went to AT&T Park the follow day (Sunday) to watch inter-league baseball game between the SF Giants and Oakland A's (1:05 pm start). I took the MUNI line from Powell Station to and from the stadium which was fairly fast and convenient. I looked forward to resting in my room when I returned to the hotel (a little after 5 pm) since the heat and crowd made me a bit tired.

Yes, the elevator was slow so I managed to use the stairs instead to and from my room. Since I was on the 7th floor, I would pause by the 5th floor landing or so for some moment to catch my breath. Good exercise, though! And drinking iced water after the climb felt very good! :) I really just used the elevator when I brought up my luggage after check-in the room and when I checked out.

By Monday, it was much cooler (60's Farenheit), foggy and overcast. I spent practically the whole day outdoors, especially with a walk around Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park.

I always feel comfortable and well-rested when I'm at this hotel, and look forward to future stays. Also, for this *particular* period of stay, I paid for an online discount which I booked directly from the hotel website (sometime in March) so I was very pleased about that, considering that the rates are much more(!) expensive during the summer months.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

Stayed here in May 2010 for 4 nights at the start of my US holiday. Got it for a great price - 1 standard room. It is in a great location near Union Square - just don't get a room at the front of the building (noisy! with the cable car right outside). The room was small, but perfectly fine - the vanity/bathroom basins are in the room at the foot of the bed- the bathroom is literally small with a shower and toilet and no room to swing a cat. I found the bed really hard and pillows kind of small for my liking. The bathroom appeared to be recently renovated and the shower screen screwed in the window sash which was kind of odd, but effective. Breakfast is super basic - toast/muffins, muesli (only), and processed juice/coffee/tea; great if your a light eater. Bad - the lift - it is sooo slow and can only hold 5 people. Overall though I enjoyed my stay, little bit less than I expected, but honestly, it was a clean, convenient, lots of eating places (and shopping) nearby. Would recommend if you just want a simple, clean honest room for a solo traveller- especially if you'll spend most of your time out and about in San Fran, not stuck in a small room (with no A/C, just a fan) and no real view or amenities.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Corpus Christi, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stayed with our youth choir of 27 persons for 5 nights at the Stratford. The staff was very helpful & courteous. Rooms are small but were clean. Great location near BART, Muni, Cable Cars and all other public transportation. Lots of affordable places to eat in the area. The breakfast provided was small but acceptable. The only small drawback to the hotel is the one, small, slow elevator but you can work around it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed here for just two nights as part of a road trip, room was quite small but adequate for what we wanted. I think it's only a two star but the price was low and the room was very clean (and I am very fussy!), staff were friendly and the location was slap bang in the centre of where we wanted to be. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2010

It’s a very small hotel but is right in the thick of the action. Powell street, in my opinion, is the life of Union Square. A cable car runs on it and BART and MuniUnderground stations are a 2 minute walk away. So is Market Street with its historic street car that will take you Fisherman’s Wharf, The Castro, The Mission, Embarcadero, nearly every part of the city (east of Divisadero) is never more than 10 minutes away. Take public transportation! 3 day passports cost $26 and get you on cable cars, street cars, busses, and the subway. Really was the best way to go.

Okay, the hotel. It’s small. So are the rooms. So is the breakfast (toast, muffins, juice, and coffee. But every desk clerk we talked to was incredibly helpful, directing us to wherever we wanted to go. Our room had two double beds. I think the only options are full-sixed beds or double beds. There was an iron and iron-table, but when it was out it really cut down on the space in the room! The bathrooms are clean, though the showers are a little small (I’m 6’1” and found myself pressed for space while showering! There is no A/C but we had a ceiling fan with an open window and that was perfect. Internet access is not free and the TV channels were pretty limited, but we only used our room to sleep and shower.

If you are going to SF to lounge, find another hotel. There is no pool, spa, or not even much of a lobby. If you need the hotel to provide with forms of entertainment stay at the Hyatt. But if you are going to the city to experience the city and all it has this is a fantastic choice!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
france
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

i didn't chose that hotel. it was, sadly, imposed upon me on my trip. my room was smelly, with a view (through disgusting windows) upon the windows, a few feet away, from another room, and was so small i consider it a shame they asked me to pay for a single person's fee, if there had been two of us, i wonder where we would have fit. there is no shelves to lay your clothes upon, nor your toiletries. it was cold as there was no radiator.

it took the front desk two days to acknowledge i was right in complaining about the cold, and to offer to move me to another room, which i declined, since it was just as small, with just as poor a view, and the heating was turned off anyway (i had learned as much from my travel companions).

i assume they have better rooms, the cleanliness was ok and so was the quality of the bed, and the location is perfect.

it's just a shame that they have the nerve to offer such 'rooms' to their customers.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo