“lovely stay. excellent location.”
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #107 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Cork, Ireland
“lovely stay. excellent location.”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Really enjoyable stay. Lovely comfortable rooms, clean and compact. Fab location - close to everything. Staff very helpful. Breakfast basic but enough to get the morning off to a good start. looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mariacal_13
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for the excellent review! We often share guest review with our staff and everyone here will be delighted with this response. Guest satisfaction is our main goal and we feel accomplishment when we nail our objective! The Hotel Stratford is a very International hotel with guests ranging worldwide. It is nice to see some guests from the rebel county! Thanks again. We hope to see you in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2013

First off, I have to say that I stuffed up the booking (the only one out of over 15 bookings). I booked it for 3/4 (March 4th) instead of the 3rd April, I thought I was booking! Despite this, and turning up apparently unannounced, they found us a room...and I'm very grateful that we didn't have to wander the streets of San Francisco at 8pm.
Having said this - at every other hotel we stayed at, I had an email before-hand reminding me of my up-coming booking. Even without this, you would think that when I was a no-show, and they charged me for one night, that I could have been sent an email letting me know that I had been charged. I'm not at all upset that I was charged, i was the one that made the mistake, but this would have let me know that I HAD made a booking error and I could have corrected it then and there.
The desk staff were helpful. While they weren't rude, I couldn't really say they were particularly friendly either - probably cool would be the best description.
The room was TINY. We had 2 single beds, with barely any room down each side - only just able to fit our cases in. No air-conditioning made it reasonably warm in the room, and we were there in fairly cool weather. We slept with the ceiling fan on. There was a window able to be left open a few inches, but it made it a bit noisy with the sound of the cable cars clanking outside - although this was a little masked by the ceiling fan. No view whatsoever - just a brick wall about a metre away!
Rooms are clean, and the beds were reasonably comfortable.
On the first morning, room service were knowing on the door at 8am - they gave 2 little taps (and it took me a while to work out what it was), then they came in - wanting to clean the room - lucky I wasn't sleeping in! The next couple of days we put out the do not disturb sign, but they still came in and straightened our beds and rearranged the bathroom each day!
The lift was indeterminately slow, and with only one for the whole place - take the stairs!
Breakfast is VERY basic, but it is included. There are plenty of alternatives close by with reasonably priced menus, but if you're short on money - you can eat your fill!
The location is fantastic, right on the corner of union square, with the cable car running outside the front door, and train and bus stops only about 2 blocks away.
If all you're wanting is a reasonably priced room, and don't intend to spend much time in it, The Stratford is ideal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hotel Stratford. We appreciate the feedback. Your detailed comments will help us improve our main goal: Guest Satisfaction. If you are planning a visit to San Francisco in the future we hope you keep the Hotel Stratford in mind and our ambition is for you to have a more gratifying experience. Thanks again!
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had a family room, 2 double beds a queen bed with 1 bathroom. It was in the front part of hotel facing the street. There was a battle of the street musicians, which was very loud along with the street noise. So if your planning on staying in the room all day to rest, this is not the hotel for you. The hotel itself was very clean and tidy. Perfect location, close to everything. Great price!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hello Viv, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We are happy you enjoyed the location and the value. The family rooms are a great affordable option for families or friends that don't mind sharing. The city's street musicians sometimes believe they are in "battle of the bands". We will take your feedback into consideration and once again would like to thank you for the great review!
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late after delayed flight, but rooms ready and waiting. Clean and compact rooms. Lift archaic. Breakfast adequate, but basic. Location perfect, adjacent to Union Sq and cable car terminus. Would use again on any future visit.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank difaJP
Thank you John for taking the time to write a review about our hotel! We are delighted to hear you would choose to stay with us in the future. Our main objective is to satisfy our guests and we were happy with your review. Hopefully we will see you again so you can see further improvements. Thanks again.
Livonia, MI
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I chose the Hotel Stratford because of its close proximity to public transportation, including the Powell/Hyde cable car (outside the door) and the BART and MUNI stations (about 2 blocks away), as well as its somewhat reasonable price, in comparison to surrounding hotels. It is a place to sleep, mostly, which is relatively quiet if you get a high floor room towards the back of the hotel (I stayed in 706). There's one tiny, interminably slow elevator, so don't be in any hurry. There is free breakfast for the frugal, consisting of coffee, juices, toast and English muffins, cereal, and a bit of fruit, which will save you some money if you don't want to eat out. However, a block to the south there's Tad's and two blocks to the north, there's Sears Fine Foods, if you want a better breakfast. The hotel has no air conditioning, just windows that open a crack, so it will be hot if you stay here in the summer. There are ceiling fans in place, but I never tried mine. The room I had was tiny, made just for one person, but probably rather crowded for two. There is a small closet for hanging things up or storing a suitcase. The rooms are very clean, towels are good, and sheets are soft and fresh, and I have no complaints about the housekeeping a the Stratford. Water pressure was very low in the shower, and the temperature of the water was maybe 80 degrees, which was a bit exhilarating for me! If you like a hot, forceful shower, this hotel may not be for you. Desk people are chill, but not aloof or snooty. So, if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money and if you don't plan on spending much time in your room, you'll do just fine at this hotel.

Room Tip: High floor, in the back. But you will end up waiting for the one slow elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with the Hotel Stratford. The reviews really help us improve the Hotel. We agree that the location is great and i agree the elevator can be slow. Thanks for being so detailed with your review and we will look to improve on every aspect. If you are planning a visit to San Francisco in the future we hope you will consider staying with us and we hope you will see our improvements. Thank you again and thanks for using Trip Advisor!
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 20, 2013

A really small room, but right in the middle of the city. It's bare bones, but clean. It's just up the street from the Powell St. BART station. The front rooms I heard from other guests were quite loud from street noise. The back rooms away from the street were very quiet, but no view at all. Breakfast was basic, but OK. Considering other options for breakfast run $15 and up, it's not bad.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review Jeff! I see you are a Senior Reviewer so your response is important to us. We agree the hotel is ideally located and we will look into your other comments to help us improve. Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future!
Halifax
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel met my expectations completely. The location is superb- easy walk to many attractions, 2 blocks from BART, SF Visitors centre and buses on Market St. The Cable Cars go by the front door. It was always easy to get back tot he room to recharge. We had a twin/twin room. The room was small, and had no view, but we expected that after reading reviews. It was clean. We didn't spend a lot of time there because there is so much to see and do in SF. I would stay there again. If you want modest accommodation in a superb location this is the place! When I booked there was a discount through their Facebook page.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hali_gal53
Shyam S, General Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am very delighted to hear that our hotel met the expectation during your stay. Your positive feedback is one of the main sources of our success, so thank you for sharing it through TripAdvisor. We look forward to have you back and thank you again for staying at the Stratford.

Shyam Shrestha