Hotel Stratford
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Villa Florence(San Francisco)
  • Room Service
Handlery Union Square Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Pool
The Herbert Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Bar/Lounge
Foleys Inn(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Hotel G San Francisco(San Francisco)
  • Pool
1,522 results
All reviewspowell streetcable cargreat locationrooms are smallbreakfast roomslow elevatorcomplimentary breakfastheart of union squarestreet noisebart stationcentral locationfront desk staffcan't beat the locationhotel roomlight sleeperpublic transportationstayed here for nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We arrived exhausted and early. Our room was not ready, but we were able to store our luggage in a safe place. We came back before 3 (check in time) and looked at several rooms. Noise was a concern of ours especially after reading reviews. We saw several small, unimpressive rooms. We were even given a key to a room that had someones stuff already in it. After that I was ready to leave and find another hotel. There were 2 gentleman at the desk when we came back to the desk and they were very professional and understanding. They gave us the key to a room with 2 queen beds and a huge bathroom. The room was really nice and the beds were comfortable. It was on the top floor facing Powell street. There is no air conditioning in this hotel, but there was a nice fan and the window in the room and bathroom opens. There was no need for AC. It was so loud, but for the location and price we were fine with it. There were people banging on buckets (drumming I suppose) until like 10 or 12 every night. With the use of head phones or ear plugs the noise is not an issue for sleeping if you want to sleep early. One elevator. Nice breakfast room with breakfast that includes english muffins, a few cereals, oranges, juice, and coffee. Great location, clean, and cheap! I would stay here again if in San Fran on a budget.

Room Tip: The rooms with 2 queen beds are larger and nicer on the top floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Hello Mary, thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are glad we were able to find a room that fit your needs. To increase customer satisfaction we are always willing to show alternative rooms to guests. We would love to see you hear again soon and once again we appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed April 10 to 12 and checked out just a few hours ago. The staff was very helpful. I really appreciated that they stored our luggages even after we checked out. The room was small but cozy. I just have to suggest that they put additional shelf on the shower area as I had to put my shampoo and conditioner down on the floor. This is just a minor thing and I would gladly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thanks for the review. We really appreciate the feedback. We will definitely look into the shelving issue. We are happy to store luggage for our guests before check in and after check out. I am very pleased you were satisfied with your stay and this is what we strive for. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you,

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed in room 707 which was perfect for us we did not have a view just a brick wall but our room was very quiet and we had a good nights sleep. We had a sink in our room, the bathroom was a good size and the water in the shower was hot we were impressed that we were supplied with toiletries. The room was not a big size but was adequate for us as we only wanted somewhere to sleep as we were out all day and evening. Breakfast was good and we felt there was plenty of variety for a self service buffet. Staff were friendly and very helpful and if we visit San Francisco would not hesitate to stay here again. We booked direct with hotel as was cheaper than using other web sites.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scratbygirl

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and are happy you would be willing to stay with us again. It is great that you booked directly with us and received a good discount. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Comparing my last year visit (stayed in a different hotel) and this year visit, I could not stop to wonder if the quality of the hotel rooms in San Francisco is on a downward trend! I cannot really make this conclusion without visiting the town a couple more times. But if any of you noticed such a trend, do let me know as well.

I stayed for a week on my recent trip in this hotel. I was given a room on the 6th floor (605 to be exact). I was a bit shocked when I entered the room. The wash basin was in your bed room and the bath room was very small too. However, the room was clean and the service was excellent. TV is placed at a height on top of the wash basin.

The shower area was too small. Even though I am not one of those heavily built person, when I turned to soap my back or leg, I did literally hit the wall. I wonder how a heavily built person will manage such a shower area. I have never seen such small rooms outside Japan.

Another good thing about this hotel is the location. The tram line is just in front of you and all necessary shops and restaurants are just around the corner.

The room gets very hot in the night and I had to sleep with the windows open. This made the room a bit noisier. The bell from the tram was really loud. In any case, I would not mind checking in again in this hotel (preferably a bigger room?) in the near future. Also, San Francisco is a city with many options as well.

Room Tip: Try to request a bigger room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

First of all thank you for posting a review about our hotel! We make sure to share all our reviews with our staff to help enhance our guests satisfaction for the future. I agree the rooms can be small in the Union Square area due to the age of the buildings. The Stratford is recognized as a Historic Building of San Francisco and was built before 1910. Once again thank you for the review and hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in January and found it was perfect for what we wanted. Our room was fairly small but clean, had everything you would want and was well-heated. We had a room near the back of the hotel and found it nice and quiet, although the rooms at the front would get a bit of street noise. The location is great with a huge amount of shops, department stores, takeaways and restaurants within short walking distance, as well as the Powell/Hyde cable cars which start just down the road. The staff were friendly and breakfast had everything you needed. All in all great value for money, would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel as the rooms facing the street get a fair bit of street noise (cable cars etc.).
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We agree the location is hard to beat. We hope you enjoyed San Francisco and of course would love to see you at the Stratford again.