“Very good value for money hotel”
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #111 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Very good value for money hotel”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed April 10 to 12 and checked out just a few hours ago. The staff was very helpful. I really appreciated that they stored our luggages even after we checked out. The room was small but cozy. I just have to suggest that they put additional shelf on the shower area as I had to put my shampoo and conditioner down on the floor. This is just a minor thing and I would gladly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thanks for the review. We really appreciate the feedback. We will definitely look into the shelving issue. We are happy to store luggage for our guests before check in and after check out. I am very pleased you were satisfied with your stay and this is what we strive for. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed in room 707 which was perfect for us we did not have a view just a brick wall but our room was very quiet and we had a good nights sleep. We had a sink in our room, the bathroom was a good size and the water in the shower was hot we were impressed that we were supplied with toiletries. The room was not a big size but was adequate for us as we only wanted somewhere to sleep as we were out all day and evening. Breakfast was good and we felt there was plenty of variety for a self service buffet. Staff were friendly and very helpful and if we visit San Francisco would not hesitate to stay here again. We booked direct with hotel as was cheaper than using other web sites.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scratbygirl
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and are happy you would be willing to stay with us again. It is great that you booked directly with us and received a good discount. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again,
Kannur
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Comparing my last year visit (stayed in a different hotel) and this year visit, I could not stop to wonder if the quality of the hotel rooms in San Francisco is on a downward trend! I cannot really make this conclusion without visiting the town a couple more times. But if any of you noticed such a trend, do let me know as well.

I stayed for a week on my recent trip in this hotel. I was given a room on the 6th floor (605 to be exact). I was a bit shocked when I entered the room. The wash basin was in your bed room and the bath room was very small too. However, the room was clean and the service was excellent. TV is placed at a height on top of the wash basin.

The shower area was too small. Even though I am not one of those heavily built person, when I turned to soap my back or leg, I did literally hit the wall. I wonder how a heavily built person will manage such a shower area. I have never seen such small rooms outside Japan.

Another good thing about this hotel is the location. The tram line is just in front of you and all necessary shops and restaurants are just around the corner.

The room gets very hot in the night and I had to sleep with the windows open. This made the room a bit noisier. The bell from the tram was really loud. In any case, I would not mind checking in again in this hotel (preferably a bigger room?) in the near future. Also, San Francisco is a city with many options as well.

Room Tip: Try to request a bigger room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jamie D, Front Office Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
First of all thank you for posting a review about our hotel! We make sure to share all our reviews with our staff to help enhance our guests satisfaction for the future. I agree the rooms can be small in the Union Square area due to the age of the buildings. The Stratford is recognized as a Historic Building of San Francisco and was built before 1910. Once again thank you for the review and hope to see you again.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed here in January and found it was perfect for what we wanted. Our room was fairly small but clean, had everything you would want and was well-heated. We had a room near the back of the hotel and found it nice and quiet, although the rooms at the front would get a bit of street noise. The location is great with a huge amount of shops, department stores, takeaways and restaurants within short walking distance, as well as the Powell/Hyde cable cars which start just down the road. The staff were friendly and breakfast had everything you needed. All in all great value for money, would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel as the rooms facing the street get a fair bit of street nois...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We agree the location is hard to beat. We hope you enjoyed San Francisco and of course would love to see you at the Stratford again.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I would like to commend the service of the staff at the concierge. We checked in really late at around 3am, and the guy very kindly extended our check out timing to 12pm.

The next day, they also stored our luggage for us in this nice little room dedicated to luggage storage. I like the procedure they had to minimise luggage being lost - proper tags were provided and the room was locked at all times.

Contrary to some reviews, we had no problems with the so-called noises. Our room was tranquil and quiet. I guess it depends on which room you get.

The room can be a little small, but it's planted right in the middle of the town and it's reasonably priced - what do you expect?

I liked everything else about the room. One could easily tell the housekeeping pays attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First and foremost thank you for the great review. Our staff will be delighted. I am glad you enjoyed your stay especially because it seems you are a very well educated traveler. Once again thank you from all of us here and we hope to see you again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Spent 3 days at this hotel in March and found it to be very comfortable and adequate. The location is it's best point, being on the Powell Street cable car line and right in the middle of San Fran. There were good eating places nearby, and NOT the usual American chain restaurant rubbish either. The rooms are small but were clean and serviced each day and had room for twin beds for 2 adult ladies travelling together. We are older ladies and never felt unsafe in this location. The price was excellent considering the location. Cant say anything negative about this hotel and have no idea what the whingers are on about.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Shyam S, General Manager at Hotel Stratford, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Gayl,

Please allow us thank you for visiting San Francisco from Melbourne and choosing hotel Stratford for your stay. I am very delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, its location, cleanliness and service. We look forward to having you back again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2013

So I stayed in the hotel for six nights for GDC last week. The only good thing about it is it's location. Other than that are all bad experience. The heater in room in controlled by staff from central. They turn off heaters at 3 am in the morning every day and on the first two nights I woke up freezing. So i complained to the front desk, they reluctantly promised to keep my heater on in the morning. So on third night, they didn't turn on the heater in my room until 11pm (they usually turn on at 9 pm), and, they turned of the heater AGAIN at 3 am and they turn it back on at 6 am pretending nothing happened the whole night. I've got a cold and this affected negatively on my conference agenda. The hotel staff are not friendly and they are CHEAP A.ZZ. I would say for a 150 bucks per night, you should at least find somewhere warm to stay for your night. The breakfast is light but it's free so I am not bitc.hing. Rooms are dim and small. Elevator also sucs in terms of being small and slow.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YX0620
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel and I am sorry that not all aspects of your stay were enjoyable. Your input and feedback is greatly appreciated. We always take the time for each of the reviews to be personally reviewed by management and we make sure to share your comments with the appropriate department heads.
We strive to ensure that the guest experience is our top priority during your visit at Hotel Stratford, and we take great pride in our exceptional service and make it our number one priority to attend to all of our guests’ needs, but unfortunately, we fell short of our goal on this occasion and on behalf of Hotel Stratford and its staff, please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings.

I would like to ask you for the opportunity to personally ensure a perfect stay during your next trip to San Francisco and Hotel Stratford. Please feel free to contact me when you plan your next trip and I really hope to have the pleasure to accommodate you again.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels