“You will get what you paid for”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #104 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Saint Charles, Illinois
“You will get what you paid for”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Positive: location (Union Square, lots of shopping, dinning), clean room, friendly staff, free breakfast, free wi-fi, decent price
Negative: very small room, very slow elevator, no A/C, heat via radiator
Bottom line: 2.5 stars. Chose this property to save money on a business trip. Chose it also because most ratings were good. Quiet room. Comfortable bed. Good staff. Within walking distance to Mascone Center (10-15 minutes) for my conference. Lots of action nearby. The chain tries very hard to position the property as a boutique hotel. There are touches, especially the chain's efforts to turn an older building into something new and hip, but the lack of such modern touches as AC and heat (not window without screen, ceiling fan and radiator) have unfortunately downgraded this hotel to less than boutique status. You will get what you've paid for. Liked it to a point, but, until changes are made, I am bypassing it.

Room Tip: No pool. No restaurant. Please disregard pool and restaurant rating. If do not want to hear street...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hendersonville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Stratford hotel was a wonderful find by our travel agent Karen at the Travel Center in Sanford Maine. She told us ahead of time that the room would be small and she was correct! It was not much larger than a walk in closet......but it was very clean, located on the cable car line and we do not spend any amount of time sitting in our room. We came to San Francisco to see the city and we did!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had a one night stay here on our way back home from Hawaii. We checked in late and found we'd been given a fab room: right on the top floor overlooking the street. We had 2 double beds, TV, fan (but no AC). It was really bright and airy (when morning came) and there wasn't too much noise from the street (but I suspect if you're on a lower floor the noise of the trams would be a bit of a nightmare). The room and the bathroom were spotlessly clean and there were soaps & shampoos etc in the bathroom which I was surprised by. Actually the whole hotel surprised me, I thought it was going to be a bit of a dive but it was quite nice and had a sort of boutiquey feel to it. And so much more character than the big chains!

Yes there is only one lift and it's very slow...but there are stairs for when you don't have cases and it's not really the end of the world to wait a minute for a lift.

The breakfast was a surprise addition too: yes it's very basic but it was free! After two weeks of eating like gluttons it was a good change to just have tea, toast, fruit, yogurt & juice for breakfast (and which is still more than sufficient...).

Not sure I'd want to stay much longer than a couple of nights as it is pretty basic, but the location is fab.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
West Coast (of Lake Michigan)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights recently, but wish I had booked elsewhere. Unfortunately it was a last-minute reservation as part of a "wing it" road trip, and it was one of the few hotels downtown still available. I now see why.

The issues began with their 3rd party reservation service, which you're required to use if you're booking via phone. The female on the phone knew little to nothing about the hotel itself, including the actual prices of the rooms along with the specials being offered on the hotel's site. You'd think this would be important information for their booking service to know? Initially she only offered the highest prices until I pointed out the hotel web site's pricing. She then checked and confirmed I was correct. Ultimately I agreed to pay for an upgraded room with a "view of the street and trolley" (their description, not mine). After taking my reservation information, I had asked a question about shuttle service to the airport. The woman said she'd find out and then (conveniently?) disconnected.

When I get to the hotel, the first thing I notice is that the entire building is serviced by the slowest, single elevator you can imagine-- and it has a five person capacity! Now, if they had a bar or something in the lobby, this could be a good gig. Push the call button, have a beer, and wait for a spot on the elevator to your 8th floor room. But nope... All they have is the hotel desk and small couch. Not very inviting at all. Hope you like stairs.

After checking in, I was given a tiny room with an even tinier alcove bathroom containing a toilet and shower. Including all my travels in Europe, this was by far the smallest hotel room I had ever been given. Oh and my view: an alley, the roof of the building next door and the window of the adjacent guest room. I could *hear* the street, but could not see it, even if I stuck my head out of the window. I did go back to the desk to ask what exactly my upgrade bought me, and it was learned that despite my arrangement with the 3rd partly booking service, I had been assigned their basic-rate room (at the upgraded price). I discussed the inequities of that and was given the option of moving. But after seeing what little else this hotel offered, I chose instead to just pay the lower $170/night for my closet room, which was significantly cheaper than the "upgraded view" room. My bill was adjusted accordingly, however in hindsight I should have used this opportunity to try and cancel my reservation as even the lower price was just not worth it.

While the room itself was generally clean, there was a dark stain on my bedspread, right on top, so it was immediately noticeable. Also, the fact that there was no coffee maker in the room seemed a bit odd to me. I had just spent 10 days on the road from Seattle to San Fran along the 101, and even the cheapest places I stayed at had a coffee maker. Yeah, there's a Starbucks on the corner, but then you'd have to deal with the elevator again...

In addition, if you're looking at saving money by finding a hotel that offers free breakfast, the continental breakfast offered at the Stratford is low-end, and is only available between 0730-0900.

On a positive note, the Stratford is in a pretty decent location if you want to enjoy the high-end shopping this part of Frisco has to offer. But ironicly, if you're staying at the Stratford, your draw to San Francisco was probably not the upper-class shopping Union Square offers, anyway. And as a tourist, I'd say the Stratford 'is in the middle of everything but close to nothing'. Due to the distance (and hills) to major tourist attractions like Fisherman's Warf, you're going to need to use the BART (subway), trolley or cab as walking to these destinations is just not practical.

Anyway, I had a great time in San Francisco, but I'd encourage you to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ChaosTheory

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Temecula, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spend 2 nights there, with ok condition, only confusing is the charge that hotel double dip something in for the first night charge, if any one want to stay here make sure you understand everything on your statement, do not expect the front desk person or their Manager will clarify any thing to you why that charge on your credit card........they know people come and go with careless on the statement.... and do not believe what ever they said at your first conversation make it on paper...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

You can't ask for a better location in SFO. This is right at Union Square, and right in the heart of all of the action. We stayed for the weekend, and had a great time. The front desk staff is fantastic, and very helpful. The rooms are small, and have no AC, so ventilation can be an issue.

The rooms are tasteful, and very clean. Our only con's to this property are the concrete hard beds, and the noise.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at The Stratford Hotel on 4 separate occasions. It is the perfect San Francisco hotel, priced right with an ideal location. I do not like paying for all the frills, as I not a frills person so this hotel is exactly what I like. The staff are friendly & helpful.

If your room faces the street, it maybe noisy at night, so now I request a room that doesn't overlook the street. Although the street facing rooms allow you to look out at the hustle of the city from the comfort of your room.

• Stayed October 2012