“Would revisit”
Review of Hotel Stratford

Hotel Stratford
Ranked #114 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 7, 2012

If you're after a low budget, central hotel, then this is it. The rooms are small and basic but clean. The hotel is central to the main shopping areas, cable cars and the F tram which takes you to Fishermans Warf and other tourist areas.

Breakfast is included in the rate but is limited to toast, muffins and 'orange juice'.

Room Tip: As the hotel is on Powell St, a major street, it gets noisy due to cable cars and traffic, ensure yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 7, 2012

This European-esque hotel was pretty much what we expected for the price we paid in San Fran. The rooms are small and the hotel doesn't offer much privacy or amenities. The room was clean and had everything we needed for 2 nights, and we felt safe and comfortable during our stay. The complimentary breakfast was just the basics, but hey, it was included in the low rate. Overall, it gave me a hostel feel but with private rooms and bathrooms.

The location of this hotel is great if you are looking to stay in the Union Square area OR if you are planning on venturing out to a lot of different parts of the great city of San Francisco. Disclaimer: a few blocks south-west and you'll start to see a lot of homeless people. Last time we stayed near Fisherman's Wharf which had its benefits (lots more of the touristy stuff to do near by, less "city" like) but of course that was a lot more expensive. The Stratford is walking distance to a lot of your big name stores and restaurants and a block or two away from one of the main BART stations that can take your just about anywhere you want to go for $2. It is also RIGHT next to a cable car stop. We walked out the door and hopped on a cable car and took it right to the wharf for a day of exploring.

If I was watching my pennies the next time I stayed in San Fran I'd certainly consider staying here again since I know what I am going to get and I was satisfied with it.

Room Tip: If you care about the view outside your window, upgrade the the rooms that look over Powell St. Our...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The hotel is adequate for the rates they charge. The rooms are smallish but clean and well decorated. The front office staff were okay but didn't go out of their way to be overly friendly or helpful. The main concern I had with my stay was that they decided to renovate the breakfast area during my stay and held the breakfast at the back of the lobby with no room to cater for guests. The second day this took place they didn't even put out a table and chairs for guests to sit on making it very difficult to eat breakfast. The staff member overseeing the breakfast area was a complete nazi glaring at people as they attempted to serve themselves coffee and cereal. It made me feel as a guest that I was an inconvenience for choosing to have the hotel breakfast. Very poor effort from the hotel team in trying to work around their renovation requirements. Apart from that the stay was reasonable as the room was adequate and the hotel is in a great location.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Sosuma
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Located right in Union Square this hotel offers easy and convenient access to the BART (connecting to the airport and other locations within the city) and the cable cars (connecting to Fisherman's Warf etc.) There are plenty of restaurants offering everything from Mexican, to Thai to Italian as well as staples like the Cheesecake Factory and a Starbucks just one block away. Not to mention ample shopping (Nordstrom, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Forever 21, DSW, Sephora, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters etc.) all within a few steps from the hotel. The hotel itself is older, but well maintained and features a small lobby with breakfast station, luggage storage, washrooms and internet stations to the rear. A simple breakfast is offered daily (cereal, muffins, toast, fruit, tea and coffee), however there is only one table and couch available to eat at, so best for a grab and go breakfast. Tea is also served daily between 3pm and 5pm I believe. The elevator is slow, so the stairs may be a quicker option. The rooms themselves are small, but clean. The beds were soft and we found them comfortable for our stay. The washroom has just a shower (Rusk shampoo and body wash, no conditioner) and toilet, with the sink (with hair dryer) located outside the washroom and next to the bed which didnt bother us. Next to the washroom is a small dresser/desk and tv. There is a small closet with a few hangers, ironing board and iron. The one thing we found the room lacked was a safe to store our passports and valuables. Our room was located on the inside had one dirty window looking into the centre and at other rooms. This wasn't a major concern for us, but might bother others. There is also no free wifi. All in all, we were happy with the hotel as it offered clean and safe accomodations in an awesome location for a steal in a generally very expensive city.

Room Tip: Not sure how noisy rooms fronting Powell Street are, but it is a busy street and the Gold Dust bar i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hhejjas
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I wanted a room in the city that could sleep 6 comfortably and I am so happy that I found The Stratford. They have a family suite that has two full sized beds in one room and a queen bed in a separate room. Each room has its own entry doors too. There is one bathroom, but the queen room randomly has a sink and mirror.
The room w/ 2 beds overlooks Powell Street and the Gold Dust Lounge. It is great for people-watching, but not so great for trolley noise in the morning.
The queen room overlooks a wall.
I don't believe there is an AC in the room, but there are ceiling fans.
The two cons are 1) the elevator is super slow and 2) valet is a little slow to get your car.
The big plus is you are right in the middle of all the action. Union Square is a minute walk away. BART is a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Get the Family room if you have a group of people! Way cheaper than getting 2 separate rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shmalyson
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This hotel is a GREAT value if you are on a budget in SF, do not have a car, and want to be a few steps from Union Square. It's probably the best deal. The cable cars stop right outside, the bus lines are close, and so is the BART. The hotel is old, but is nicely renovated and clean. The rooms are very small, especially if you plan on staying with friends, but we did get the standard room, so I can't complain. But they are clean and decently nice. They do have free wifi in all rooms now, which they just recently installed. Breakfast is free, which is hard to find these days. It just consists of cereal, toast, PB&J, oatmeal, OJ, coffee, etc. though. The only problem is that it can get loud at night. Because it is on Powell, the cable cars run until around 1am. But this would be true for any hotel on this street. Also, the bar across the street was REALLY loud one night. I could hear the band loud and clear on the 4th floor. Other than that, the hotel itself was a great value.

I must add that I had a GREAT experience with the staff. I forgot something in my room, and they promptly mailed it to me with no complaints! I was very happy with their service.

Room Tip: If you stay with friends, you probably don't want a standard room, unless you really don't s...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janis M
Reviewed February 16, 2012

The hotel is just next to Union Square and a cable car line. Breakfast was fine, staff was friendly and the room was just what we expected it to be. Not that big or fancy but for us the location was more important when it came to price and we had to choose. Parking is VERY expensive. We parked in the Union Square parking lot and payed 100$ for 4 days! The valet parking that we were offered by the hotel was almost the same. Not as much noise as we would have expected. Truly worth the price!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple