Stayed here for a conference recently. If tourist attractions and nightlife is your interest, this is a great spot, in the middle of everything on Powell Street with Union Square and Market St (Ave?) very close by. Lots of restaurants in the immediate walking area. Cable car runs right in front of hotel, and the end of the line cable car turnaround at Powell and Market is just a couple blocks away, as it the Powell St. BART station. Staff was helpful. Place is very informal. If you are here for conferences, the Parc and Hilton are very close, and Marriott Marque and Moscone Convention Center are (from my perspective) an easy walk of about 7-8 blocks.
You should know that some of these rooms are quite small. I stayed in both a standard room and a double double. The standard I had was not much more than a large closet, with the bed taking most of the room and a flatscreen mounted on the wall to save space. Very cramped. Sharing a double double was also a tight fit. Our room had one small closet and our suitcases were in each other's way. Many rooms face Powell, which is both entertaining but also loud. I'm a good sleeper and also don't mind ear plugs so I enjoyed it, but some may not appreciate the activity and noise levels. The rooms were clean and the beds were nicely firm, but these are pretty basic rooms. TV was fine but no big perks here. Bathroom was average but clean. (They give you a huge bar of soap.)
A basic place but a decent deal for those on a budget. My standard room was only $79 on hotels.com, although it was so small I don't think I would do it again. In general these are not rooms you will want to spend a lot of time in. My only other qualms were these: the free breakfast was very limited (toast, granola, a little fruit, and muffins, plus coffee/tea/juice). No protein and hardly worth bothering with. Adding just a little variety would have improved it greatly. And Wi-Fi had a fee, although they ended up giving us passwords for free after the first night (not sure why, my roommate got them from the desk).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If travelers were to pinpoint on a map the number one location in San Francisco, it could be right outside the door of Hotel Stratford. Our entrance has become part of thousands of photographs taken of the Cable Car as it heads up the second block of its famous journey over San Francisco's beautiful hillside communities.Guests who want the convenience of being right in the center of the City will enjoy their stay in this European style affordably priced property, with over 80 pleasantly decorated rooms, all with the most modern facilities. We await the pleasure of your company be it for Business or Leisure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Stratford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Stratford Hotel San Francisco
- Stratford San Francisco
- Stratford Hotel San Francisco