“grew to really like The Herbert”
Review of The Herbert Hotel

The Herbert Hotel
Ranked #80 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Fort Worth, TX
“grew to really like The Herbert”
Reviewed September 26, 2006

Very hard to find because the sign out front was removed. We arrived in Union Square at 5:00pm and would advise strongly against arriving in San Francisco at 5:00pm. Dowtown is confusing for non locals, one way streets, many no turn signs so that you cannot circle the block. No parking on the street to unload suitcases...you just stop in the middle of the road. You have to pay for parking which is the norm at downton hotels. I thought I was being ripped off until I found out the Herbert parking was $24 a night and most every other garage charged $40 or more. San Francisco is very noisy downtown, very busy, and sadly covered with street people begging for change. After a couple of days, we learned how to use the public transportation and grew to really like the Herpert. It was small, clean, convieniently located. No air conditioning but we really did not need it. No drawers for storage but it had a large closet. No ice machine but the diner downstairs provided ice. I would stay here again for the price.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no parking, very difficult are to drive a car.
  • Tips/Secrets — Talk to someone about local traffic customs and laws.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2006

After reading some reviews, i was a bit aprehensive of what this hotel was going to be like, read about dirty rooms and bugs etc, but our room, although extremely small, was clean and bright. i did request a room at the back (advice from previous reviews) and a fan in the room, we got a room on the side which was still quite noisy, but after so much walking in the day we didn't find it a great problem. Found the hotel entrance hard to find initially until we realised the lobby is actually situated in the betty boop diner.
I stayed here with my 16year old daughter and we really enjoyed it, the location is great for cable cars, shopping and generally getting around san fran, there is a Walgreens next door also. Would definatly stay here again when we go back to san fran.

• Liked — The location and the Betty Boop Diner
  • Disliked — Size of the room
  • Tips/Secrets — Request quiet room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank donnacwl
B.C.
Reviewed August 7, 2006

The Herbert as everyone says is hard to find. Once you do, you realize you are in a great location, close to great shopping and action right outside your door. For that reason you also need to bring earplugs to sleep as it is very noisy all night long. My wife and I did not sleep well at all during our stay there. The price was great for a downtown location, but the place was not very clean. The rugs in the rooms we had needed to be washed as our socks were black in no time. No ice machine or air conditioning can be a bit of a downfall if you need either. Cute rooms and decor and a great location could not cover up the other shortfalls the hotel had.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank 5some
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Stayed at The Herbert for 4 nights in the beginning of June. It wasn't the easiest hotel to find, as other have written before me, because of the Betty Boop Diner on the ground floor. But when we found our way to The Herbert, the location couldn't have been better. Just in the middle of everything.

The hotel staff was very nice and helpful - our plane going home wasn't before late evening and they stored our luggage free of charge. We did miss a refrigator or an ice machine for our water. And I really missed airconditioning - it was quite hot and not so much breeze through the windows that I hoped for. The hotel was fairly clean - although the bathroom was a little worn out.

But all in all we did have a great stay in San Francisco - and because of the location I would probably consider the same hotel again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EPT
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed July 22, 2006

I'm writing this at 3AM at the Herbert hotel because its literally impossible to sleep here. No matter how strong these windows are, you can easily hear every bit of noise from Powell Street. Every car that passes practically rattles the windows. The room has NO air conditioning even though the halls and the building is. NO fan either. You can't even get a breeze because the windows can only be opened a crack. Definetly not a place to stay when the weather is above 80F.
Theres a dirty rag just right next to the toilet, it looks wet. The TV doesn't have a remote, so you have to manually change it. There is no ice or ice bucket or anything like that in the hall. The walls are thin and I can hear each sound the person above me makes (apparently I'm not the only one awake at 3AM). The lobby is basically a crappy 50's diner. I feel like someone stole $100 from me. I've stayed at the Stratford across the street for $70 before and had a great stay. This place is a joke and I can't wait for daybreak so I can get the hell out of here. It would be a nightmare, but then I'd have to be sleeping to have one...

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank garbage1983805
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2006

The Herbert Hotel is a very convenient hotel, very accessible to everything.A very nice location in the heart of Union Square.Loved the Diner inside the lobby. Rooms are very spacious and clean.Employees have a good customer service.They would help you in whatever you need to know. The only problem of the hotel is NO SIGNAGE outside the building.I had a hard time to find the hotel.There is only a small THE HERBERT signage on the wall which cannot see clearly of the guests.I hope this could be resolved as soon as possible because the hotel is really nice and I would love to go back again at The Herbert.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 15, 2006

I found this hotel on-line and booked "sight unseen". I was traveling alone, and feel this hotel supplied almost everything I needed. The room was clean and recently remodeled, the bed was fairly new and comfortable, there was a full bath with more than adequate facilities and there was a television and coffee maker (and coffee) in the room. Two comments: 1) there was no air conditioner but the windows opened and the night air was cool, 2) I travel with Insulin and there were no provisions available for refrigeration (this was cured at the Wal-Mart next door).

Location was excellent, about two blocks up from Market Street on Powell and about two blocks down from Union Square. More than enough activities within a short walk and the cable cars run right outside the hotel!

One final note: there is no signage outside the hotel and the lobby is actually the entrance to a new café. Make sure to tell any transportation arrangements that the hotel is above the “Betty Boop’s Café” at 161 Powell Street!

• Stayed May 2006