The Herbert Hotel
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$418
$225
$208
Hilton.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$310
$239
$219
$220
$208
  • Bar/Lounge
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$401
$279
$209
  • Room Service
1,434 results
All reviewsshared bathroomgreat locationpowell streetcable cardeluxe roomceiling fanheart of union squareprivate bathnoisy at nightopen the windowbart stationbudget hotelmini fridgecentral locationstreet noisepublic transportcoffee maker
Reviewed October 6, 2009

After much reading of the comments on Trip Advisor, we decided to give the Herbert Hotel a go as we were looking for reasonable priced accommodation in a great location. As I was travelling with two friends, we booked a three bedroom suite at the beginning and the end of our US trip. I emailed twice prior to our arrival to make sure our rooms were available (after reading how many people had problems) with confirmation, only to arrive to be told that they weren't and that we had a double and single room instead. When checking out, I asked them to confirm our room for our return which wasn't in the system, so lucky we did. Again, they didn't have the 3 bedroom that we paid for on our return. While we were there, I did see 4 people arrive to be told that they had been moved to their other hotel - so it does seem to happen quite often.
Don't be fooled by the pictures on the website. Having stayed their twice, I can confirm that they are not as cheery and bright as they appear, and both times our room had old looking orange covers on the bed. Our first visit was on the 7th floor and incredibly noisy, almost impossible to sleep at night. Note that their is no air conditioning and the noise makes it impossible to have the windows open. Make sure to request a lower level floor away from the street, as we didn't have this problem the second time.
The staff are terrible, and will provide service at a bare minimum. We did have one lovely girl who offered to post a number of postcards for us, but unfortunately they have never arrived, so appear to not have been sent.
Beds are comfortable, bathrooms are fine and rooms are clean. As a base, it's ideal for a bed in a great location. We knew not to expect too much after reading the other responses listed here, but were still disappointed, especially considering the comparison to other hotels we stayed in on our travels.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2009

This hotel overbooks! I read this in other reviews but I thought is was just one bad luck case and booked. When we arrived they said there was some emergency with our room (they never wanted to tell us what it was) and booked us in another hotel...if you can call it that way (it was horrbible and even without individual bathroom). Herbert made that our trip to San Francisco really started with a bitter feeling. We did not stay at the hotel they booked for us, and lost a morning looking for another place to stay. In addition they did it to fiends of us too...much to our surprise when we talked about our experience!!! Do not stay here, they speculate with prices and overbook so they get more money! In addition the hotel does not look like in their pictures. The lobby area is a sort of fast food mexican restaurant. It is like an hotel on top a Mc Donalds.
this hotel should be investigated by a customer service or something alike if these organizations exist in USA.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PedroPablos222
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Clean and quiet. rooms are very shiny and the location is perfect for SF

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stekes
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel, very well located on Powell St (cable car street), indeed a bit noisy but if you want a hotel in the center you can't really avoid it! The 2 receptionnists were polite and helpful, when I asked about a self-service computer available, I was answered they had none, but that I could go to their other hotel (Spaulding hotel) just next to the Herbert, and use a computer for free there (and that's what I did).
The room was quite large, very clean, comfortable, with a modern decoration.
The bathroom (washbasin, taps...) looked brand new and the toiletries smelled wonderful!
I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2009

If location is your biggest concern this is the hotel for you. Just 1 minute walk from Powell St. station and a starting location for the fabulous cable cars, right in the heart of the shopping district and only 10 minutes walk (uphill) from Union Sq.

However (and it is a big one) the hotel is scruffy and although the room was visibly clean, don't look under the bed! My view was of the roof of the next building and it was difficult to sleep due to the constant noise of the building's air-con which was directly outside of my window.

The staff were not helpful and spoke poor english. Requests I made on booking were completely ignored, with no apology. Finally DO NOT rely on a reception wake-up call, all three mornings they forgot!

• Stayed: May 2009