All reviewsairport shuttlerooms are smallfresh fruitblocks from union squareironing boardbudget hotelpowell stmarket streetelevatorcitycableubercarscaliforniachinatown
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We travelled from another country and booked through a travel agent. On arrival we couldn't believe how small and dodgy the lift was, we had to do around 8 trips up and down to get our luggage to the room. Once we entered the small cramped room we couldn't believe that the windows were wide open and with no screens or bars etc.. luckily we got to it first before our 3 year olds fell out 6 stories to their death....no safety regulations what so ever, each window we saw was like this! Definitely not for young children. The lock/door handles didn't really lock the windows properly, very stressful as the bed was up against the window! The shower didn't work, the tv couldn't get a signal long enough to bother with the tv, the phone in the room didn't work, the 'free wifi' , well that only worked if you sat in the stair well! And it was an absolute rip off, we ended up moving after the first night and going to another hotel of much better standards and for not much more money.

Room Tip: A good tip is don't go there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Emma S
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Fitzgerald Hotel for 5 nights.
The hotel is well located and not that expansive (compared to other downtown hotel)
However, rooms are small, showers and bathroom are really small. Breakfast is not great. Poeple at the front desk could show more enthousiasme when welcoming customers.
In general, I would not recommand this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

The reviews were ok and we were just looking for a clean place to stay in SF for the weekend. Got there and our rooms weren't ready. We had to wait 4 hours. Got to the room. It was filthy. An old saggy double bed - not the queen we'd booked. Had been promised microwave and minibar - not there. The staff refused to do anything to help. Stubborn and rude. They said there were no more rooms left tough luck. We got our money back - thank god and went on line and wound up booking a room at the Sir Frances Drake Hotel for $25 more than The Fitzgerald was charging. Avoid The Fitzgerald at all costs. It's a dump.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Diane L
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was a bit worried at some of the negative statements about this absolutely charming hotel. Joseph at the front desk greeted me with warmth, and was very helpful every time I had contact with him. I never had one "gloomy" person greet me or help me in the hotel. My impression was that the staff was more than cheerful and helpful. The hotel is very "Old San Francisco," from the old fashioned elevator to the lovely rooms. Breakfast offered loads of choices in the breakfast room. I have a very bad habit of leaving my camera battery charging in hotel walls. I live in Mexico, and mailing is always a huge problem. One has to have a mail service, and have it delivered to the service's address. I called the hotel, and asked them to FedEx my camera battery charger, giving them my credit card number. I kept checking my account to see if I had been charged. It had not. I thought my request had been ignored. Truth be known, they had sent it the day of the request, and the manager had decided to not charge me, as I was a "preferred customer," with my four day stay in their most financially reasonable room! How lovely! The location was the very best. I could walk anywhere, shop, return to my room to unload, and go out to eat somewhere nearby. Public transportation was incredibly convenient. I cannot recommend this hotel any more strongly! It was my favorite trip to San Francisco, and Fitzgerald Hotel Union Square was a huge part of that. Thank you so much, and special thanks to Joseph. You were delightful!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank parisienne123
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Thank you Fitzgerald Hotel, because the uniform unattractiveness of your facility combined with the rude and poor performance of your staff led us to seek an immediate refund, and a return visit to booking.com where we secured a room at the infinitely superior Sir Francis Drake for only $25 a night more. We are not given to easily walking out on a hotel, but you did not deliver what was promised, namely, a queen sized bed and a view. Instead, we were shown to a dumpy little pig-sty with a double bed and a view of a parking lot. We are instructing folks to give your hotel wide berth. They could do so much better. A cynical little dump, that's all your place is... On the bright side, we lucked into a room at the Francis Drake, a stroke of good fortune, facilitated by your incompetence. We are grateful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple