All reviews airport shuttle rooms are small fresh fruit blocks from union square ironing board budget hotel powell st market street elevator city cable uber cars california chinatown
Reviewed January 10, 2012

If U have lotsa luggage or bulky stuff to lug up and down or if U suffer from claustrophobia, beware the ultra small lift. The lift reminds me of the lifts featured in Alfred Hitchcock's black and white thriller movies, v rickety. Our room on the top floor with double beds had an odd musty smell which we did not like. The walls, bed spreads and decor look worn out and decrepit. Opening the windows prov more comfort than the ceiling fan. We did appreciate the microwave though. Breakie is free but simple with bagels, bread, cereals, milk, jam, frutis ... very ordinary. There is Walmart nearby as well as a grocery shop a few doors away. Location wise, it is central. $250 per nite in San Francisco may be considered cheap but not value for the experience. Staff were friendly and helpful if approached. For a hotel, it is one v small building with only a few doz rooms spread over 5-6 floors from recall.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank drtravelbug2
Reviewed December 9, 2011

This is a small hotel located centrally to all of the shopping of San Francisco. Easy access to BART and buses. My wife and I spent 3 days Christmas shopping on the city. The room was small but very clean. It was super quiet at night- great for sleeping. The staff was outstanding. Didn't think much of their breakfast or the coffee; we ate at the Union Square coffee shop each morning. Definitely for the price of $85 per night we will stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a single queen; may want to spend a little more for a larger room. We had a room in the back; very quiet
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrterriers2
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Firstly I was supposed to stay at the Dakota, 2 doors along! - I had booked through HostelWorld.com. When I arrived I was informed that I had been moved to the Fitzgerald.

The guy on reception was incredibly laid back - but that wasn't a problem. It helped actually. To be fair I think I came off better, as the building was lovely, it had a slightly 'old fashioned' feel to it and had a great welcoming and warm feel to it. The Dakota looked far less welcoming!

The room wasn't massive, but it had a great large double bed, that dominated the room. It was very comfy as well.

Bathroom [en suite] was lovely and clean with very hot water!

the hotel is located a few blocks up from Union Square, so there aren't any complaints with the location!

I would absolutely stay there again and have already recommended the Fitzgerald!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Zarafa73
Reviewed November 14, 2011

How could you get much better than this place for a budget traveller. Right near Union Square, walking distance to anywhere! China Town, Nob Hill, even walkable to Fishermans Wharf. The rooms are small, but better fitted out than basic. Very helpful staff. Breakfast is fruit platter, coffee tea, bagels, muffins and toast, but it is really nice to have that included! Bathroom is nice, clean and comfortable!
Great wine bar downstairs, and the bartender gave us some awesome reccomendations for dive bars and speak easys...

Room Tip: I think there are bigger rooms, but we weren't too worried (the room we had is quite small!)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thebuke
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The wildly varying reviews are quite interesting. I suspect it depends on your expectations and how much you paid. I think if I'd paid $219 per night I would be upset as well. However, I paid about $100 per night and was reasonably happy.

The room was very small with just enough room for the double bed and there was no storage space, but the hanging pole had enough room for my clothes for a few days. The bathroom was also small, but the facilities fine.

In general, the hotel seemed a little shabby and in need of some refurbishment, but this seemed typical of the area and for the price was not a problem (if you're expecting the Hilton, then you should expect Hilton prices). The location of the hotel is great - a few minutes walk to the major downtown shopping area and metro station. It is true that the seedier tenderloin is equally close, but you can avoid that and it seemed very safe despite being run down.

The only real gripe I have is the breakfast. They really need to work on this. The dining area in the basement is cramped and the food is basic. They provide some chopped up fruit and various breads and preserves, with coffee and fruit juice. It is really basic and needs better quality foodstuffs and presentation.

All in all, I'd happily stay there again at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo