All reviewsairport shuttlerooms are smallfresh fruitblocks from union squareironing boardbudget hotelpowell stmarket streetelevatorcitycableubercarscaliforniachinatown
Reviewed November 14, 2011

How could you get much better than this place for a budget traveller. Right near Union Square, walking distance to anywhere! China Town, Nob Hill, even walkable to Fishermans Wharf. The rooms are small, but better fitted out than basic. Very helpful staff. Breakfast is fruit platter, coffee tea, bagels, muffins and toast, but it is really nice to have that included! Bathroom is nice, clean and comfortable!
Great wine bar downstairs, and the bartender gave us some awesome reccomendations for dive bars and speak easys...

Room Tip: I think there are bigger rooms, but we weren't too worried (the room we had is quite small!)
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thebuke
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The wildly varying reviews are quite interesting. I suspect it depends on your expectations and how much you paid. I think if I'd paid $219 per night I would be upset as well. However, I paid about $100 per night and was reasonably happy.

The room was very small with just enough room for the double bed and there was no storage space, but the hanging pole had enough room for my clothes for a few days. The bathroom was also small, but the facilities fine.

In general, the hotel seemed a little shabby and in need of some refurbishment, but this seemed typical of the area and for the price was not a problem (if you're expecting the Hilton, then you should expect Hilton prices). The location of the hotel is great - a few minutes walk to the major downtown shopping area and metro station. It is true that the seedier tenderloin is equally close, but you can avoid that and it seemed very safe despite being run down.

The only real gripe I have is the breakfast. They really need to work on this. The dining area in the basement is cramped and the food is basic. They provide some chopped up fruit and various breads and preserves, with coffee and fruit juice. It is really basic and needs better quality foodstuffs and presentation.

All in all, I'd happily stay there again at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank GAlanS
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We scored 3 nights here for $80 a night! Different to other reviews so needless to say we got a bargain.

My husband and I stayed here & yes the rooms are small & hot but the cleanliness of the room over ruled the size issue. We ended up sleeping with the window open & thankfully it was Nov so not a hot day at all.

The breakfast was very suitable, tea, coffee, fruit, juice, toast & bagels. Perfect start to the day.

Staff were friendly & spoke fluent English so I'm not sure what the problem was with other reviewers.

I have stayed in many different styles of accommodation and have travelled a lot and found no problems with this hotel.

Location was perfect! :)

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Koops31
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We had booked to stay at the Dakota hotel (sister hotel next door) but we were moved to the Fitzgerald but it was no problem at all. Staff were friendly and check in was fine. Rooms are clean, but small and hot. We thought the hotel was a brilliant base to explore SF. However rooms have no wardrobe or storage space so at times it was a tight squeeze. Tv channels were very limited but the free internet in the rooms is great. Location is the best thing about this place, perfectly central for exploring all of SF. We walked everywhere, union sq is 5 mins, fishermans wharf 15 min walk, market st 5 min walk, really very central! Very safe and quiet at nights. The free breakfast was simple but a great way to start the day, a choice of breads, bagels, jam,s fruit, coffee, juice and tea. The hotel provide a hotel shuttle which is very cheap and operates every 30 minutes. I would definitely stay again if on a budget, thank you for a great week.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dean C
Reviewed September 25, 2011

We arrived at the Dakota hotel (sister hotel next door) and were moved to the Fitzgerald (no idea why). Check in was easy and staff welcoming. Rooms are clean, VERY small and hot but fine for a base to explore the city. No wardrobe and barely any storage space so bare this in mind. Tv only has 12 channels but wifi is brilliant. Location is amazing, central to everything, safe area and quiet at nights. Free breakfast is great, simple bagels, fruit, coffee but a cheap and yummy way to start the day. We took the airport shuttle to the airport and is only $9 and runs every 30 minutes. I thought it was a little pricey for the space and amenities but the location is worth it and nowhere is cheap in San Francisco! I would definitely stay again if on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2011