All reviews airport shuttle rooms are small fresh fruit blocks from union square ironing board budget hotel powell st market street elevator city cable uber cars california chinatown
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I'm well used to staying in hostels around the world - being flexible and used to sharing space. But this place tested my patience and ability to adapt. Its a great location no doubt about that, near to Union Square and a choice of transport options, you can easily explore central SF from here. BUT its not a reasonable budget option - I'd rather stay in a hostel where I know where I stand and what to expect. We had bad luck, put in a room designed to have disabled access which meant it was right behind reception on the ground floor - not so handy at 4am when the latest lot of backpackers come in, chatting away. The decor leaves something to be desired and our windows were directly on to the street. It was clean but not exceptionally clean. Breakfast was served in the basement, an assortment of jams, marmalade, nutella and bagels. At least it was included and was filling.

Overall I couldn't recommend this to anyone. I'm convinced there are better options out there.

Room Tip: Don't get the ominously titled Room 101, ground floor right by reception with windows directly onto the street.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank amyreist
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I read the reviews here and decided I'd give the Fitzgerald a try - despite some rather bad reviews there seemed to be some good ones too. When in SF on business I generally stay down on Geary or O'Farrell but all the places I generally stay were full. It turns out I'm glad they were as I enjoyed my stay at the Fitzgerald.

Location: It's close to Union Square and Market Street, but being up on Post Street is far enough away, by a block uphill, to avoid the real touristy traffic. It's also nice because you stand on the sidewalk on Post and not be bothered every few minutes by the panhandlers. The street also has kind of nice feel to it. Little restaurants, lots of young people, a couple hostels in the immediate vicinity.

Room: My room was great for just me. I booked one of the largest rooms available so it was big enough but I could tell that some of the rooms in the hotel are extremely small so keep that in mind. It was clean. Nice old heavy wood furniture. Comfortable bed.

Staff: Staff was friendly, very pleasant and helpful.

Other guests: A mixed bag. Lots of younger folks, many from Europe. No big noisy partying or anything though.

I really liked the little wine bar in the lobby. Very nice place, excellent selection of wines and little plates of food like cheese and charcuterie.

So - it's not fancy but it's nice. Most of the rooms are tiny but for the price it's doable. Great location. Great for younger or budget travelers. It ain't the Ritz, but that's not what I was looking for. If you fell the same way you'll enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank crsofa
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Fitzgerald is a gem, ideally located in the heart of San Francisco, close to Union Square and only a few (easy walking distance) blocks to the Powell St. BART. My elderly mother and myself stayed 3 nights. When we first arrived on a Friday evening we were a bit disconcerted by the popular wine bar at the end of the lobby area. But don’t let first impressions fool you. This hotel is a great find: The front desk staff were consistently friendly and helpful. In particular, Marina went out of her way to make sure we felt at home. We stayed in suites on the 6th floor that contained a huge king size bed, a queen and a single. The rooms were beautifully and uniquely appointed and extremely clean. Sure there were a few scratches and dents here and there which could be polished up, but overall what a lovely set of suites. Included were a CD player/radio and a nicely sized refrigerator as well as a microwave and coffee maker with coffee fixings. Also, conditioning shampoo, moisturizer and soaps that could easily be replenished via the daily room service. My bed (I had the queen) was so comfortable that I made sure I could sleep in late on the last day just to enjoy it! Breakfast (included in the price) meant generous proportions of everything, buffet style. This is not The Ritz by any means, so you won’t be offered an individualized hot cooked meal. However, you do get copious amounts of chopped up fresh fruit as well as bagels & breads which you can toast yourself , also coffee, orange juice. Nutella and a selection of jams are also in abundance. Breakfast is popular with the younger crowd of foreign student tourists that obviously love The Fitzgerald for its youth hostel like breakfasts. There is also a computer with internet connection (but no printer) in the breakfast room which unlike other hotels was free and proved useful for looking up specific tourist attractions. However, if you still want a hot cooked breakfast but don’t want to break your budget, just a few doors down (next block I think) as you walk towards Powell St, is Taza Café which seems to be a locals hangout and their food was very good (we had a wrap and a sandwich and the French bread on the sandwich was just excellent). Not a fancy looking place to look at but great food and definitely not a greasy spoon. Just before Taza is a tiny hole-in-the-wall coffee shop (whose name I never found out) that also serves sandwiches & pastries. We liked to stop in there for their organic coffee which, upon request, they would grind the beans and make the coffee fresh for us. The New Guinea Island organic coffee was mellow but robust and what a plus that it was organic. They also had a Guatamalen organic coffee as well as organic espresso beans for making lattes, etc. But you do have to ask for it specifically. Overall, I have to give The Fitzgerald 5 stars for value for money, service, cleanliness and location. My mother loved it; we’d definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Dinerette
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I thought this was great value for money to stay in such an amazing place. I was expecting to stay at the Adelaide Hostel, but as I had booked a single room they put me in the Fitzgerald, which is around the corner. So expect a mixture of hostel-expectees as well as hotel-expectees.

First impressions were not good, but after I settled in, I thought it was just fine. The bed was comfortable, quiet, bathroom clean, and the staff downstairs were really lovely. The room was small, but the hotel is cheap!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank CarlyWhit
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My room at Fitzgerald's is a cozy and stylish one. Though I stayed alone, I would have enjoyed a company as the room's queen bed is suited for 2. The hotel is conveniently located at the heart of downtown. You could opt to take a bus or tram or train to get around and enjoy San Francisco. But I chose to walk from this hotel to various famous landmarks, such as the financial district, the crooked street at Lombard's, the Bay Bridge, Pier 39, and even the Marina, then heading towards the foot of the Golden Gate bridge. All these landmarks are accessible. Around the place are various stores and and restaurants well within your budget.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo