“Terrible service, unsafe location”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Embassy Hotel

The Embassy Hotel
Ranked #203 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible service, unsafe location”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked the trip last minute so this was what we found. I give this hotel poor ratings due to the service and the unsafe location. We had asked for extra towels and were told we couldn't have them after the lady was very rude about it. Amongst other rude things. I've never heard of this at a hotel. The location was OK in terms of proximity to touristy things but it felt very unsafe. We took cabs to and from the hotel everywhere. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank amanderrd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Belmont, California
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We live 20 miles south of San Francisco and needed a place to stay in the city to celebrate a dear friends 40th birthday - all you can eat and drink! This hotel was perfect. After reading the reviews I was a bit concerned that it would be ... well "gross". But let me tell you, I have seen gross and this is far from it.
We found it to be charming. Not modern but authentic 1960's style with pink a black tile in the bathroom! Our room was spotless, larger than we expected, quiet. The bed was king size and comfortable.
I am well traveled and usually stay at 3 or 4 star hotels and I was fine with this place. The location and price to me are a great value.

Room Tip: High the floor the better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Barrowford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I read the reviews before i went and to be honest i was dreading it.... The hotel could not have been more different from the reviews. The staff were amicable and whenever we approached them for their recommendations for where to eat etc they were very helpful. Yes it is dated, but it was clean. Yes there was some noise, but i can't imagine there is a city centre hotel in San Fran which is quiet! Sirens blaring at all hours! But that is what you get when you stay in a city. Ive spent more money on worse hotels in other tourist cities around the world (Paris, Madrid etc).This is the perfect hotel if you want a clean and comfortable base to allow you to go exploring and spend your money enjoying yourself and not on a hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th Floor over the street - some noise from the street but not a problem
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Breakfast is deplorable. We take breakfast in a nightclub which is in the same building as the hotel. The sheets are dirty, the floor is dirty, everything is dirty. Everything seems dirty ... People at the reception are not friendly. The elevator has a bad smell. We were awakened by the fire alarm. We did not have the right to no excuse, we just said, "Okay back to your rooms".

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Syd P

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Noisy, dirty and old.
A nightclub downstairs (in the same building! ) opened untill 2 am, old floorboards and thin walls will do the rest to keep you awake.
After a 14hr flight from Sydney, I'd probably prefer to sleep in a car.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank sydneyfolks
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights. The hall was old fashioned and dark, the elevator stank and the room had probably never been renovated. The bathroom was REALLY small and the view not so exciting (a parking lot!). Moreover, it didn't seem very clean and there was one towel missing the first night.
In one word: NO!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank ClaudiaMaz
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is the worst hotel Ive ever been to!! I travel very often. When I arrived the area was horrible. A lot of homeless were loitering outside of the hotel. Myself & my gf walked into the hotel where we greeted by a woman (very rude & on the phone) who told us where our room would be & then told me that I would have to pay $20 to park in their small lot (They're not responsible for damages done to your or for any stolen items) I complained to the manager bc that was ridiculous to me. Most hotels I go to give complimentary parking to their guests! When I told him that I give out reviews for EVERY hotel I go to, he decided to waive the $20 & let us park for free.(Closed mouths don't get fed). After parking our car in what they called a "parking lot" we took the elevator up to rm. 422. The elevator was EXTREMELY small, seems like only maybe 4 adults could fit in there. By this point I was already fed up with this hotel & it's crappy customer Service. (too bad you can only cancel 48hrs before. That's what i was told) When we entered the room, there was an odor. Ugh!!! Before I put my luggage down, I did a quick browse around the hotel.( As you should ALWAYS do; never want to be charged for damage you didn't cause) I noticed that there were stains on the sheets, burnt marks & holes in the blankets & sheets. Like a cigarette burn. The bathroom was ok. Our cabinet in the living room was broken. Ugh! You get what you pay for. At night there was A LOT of loud noise coming from the heater. Couldn't sleep all night. During checkout I found out that they charge you an extra 15%. So when you book your hotel, PLZ remember to add another 15% to your bill so that you're not surprised as well. In conclusion, I do NOT recommend that anyone books this hotel. You WILL regret it!!

Room Tip: Remember there's an extra 15% added to your room bill. Remember to do a visual scan of the roo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business