Super 8 San Francisco/Near the Marina
Ranked #155 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Alpine, WY
“Clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

This is the cleanest Super 8 I have ever stayed in. Staff was friendly and helpful, though at times difficult to understand. The neighborhood was safe enough for me to walk around at night without hesitation.

Room Tip: Book early in the week. Rates go up starting Thur
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

The hotel was run by a very rude lady who had no time for her visitors. There was a very strong smell of curry and urine in our room at all times. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was in a quiet street. The breakfast provided was made up of the cheapest ingredients possible and the lady was very unhelpful. The advertisement said that the hotel was in Fisherman's Wharf, but we had to catch a bus to the centre because it was a very long way out.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beeandchris

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Beware of the bed bugs in this hotel! I had read about many hotels in this area having bed bug problems before visiting, so when I arrived the first thing I did was pull back the sheets and look for any evidence. I didn't see anything, but on our 3rd night I saw a bed bug running across our sheet as we were laying in bed! We immediately packed up our things (hoping to not see any more bugs in our luggage) and went down to the front office. We wanted a refund for that night and they refused until we showed them the bug. Luckily we had been able to catch and kill it, because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get our money back. The guy didn't even look surprised and just said "We monitor for these things...".

To top it all off, I had reserved the room 2 weeks before our trip and was given the total price. When we arrived we were charged $4 more than my confirmation page said (even though I had printed it out and brought it with me). I didn't make a big deal about that at the time since it was such a small amount. However, when we complained about the bed bugs, the man at the front desk gave us our 1 night refund, however said he wouldn't give us the tax back that we had paid that night, claiming he couldn't since it had already been filed. I plan on calling the Better Business Bureau after calling Super 8 Corporate. I have a feeling keeping that tax is illegal. I've never bought merchandise at a store and returned it to have them tell me they can't give me the tax back...

The location was convenient for the Marina (we were staying there for the Fleet Week air show). However you would need a taxi or car for Fisherman's Wharf. Parking is extremely limited. The wifi barely works, "breakfast" is a tiny (about 2 servings) dispenser of stale old cereal in their 10 square foot lobby. There's no elevator, 3 floors. The room itself seemed clean (minus the bed bugs of course!) however had a bad smell to it from the start. There were 2 beds in the room and 1 was literally about 9 inches in front of the bathroom door, very hard to walk around.

Do yourself a favor, although this hotel may be less expensive than some others in the area, save up a little more and stay somewhere that doesn't have bed bugs! I found a website, called www.bedbugregistry.com that people can list a hotel they've stayed in with bed bugs. Too bad I found this after my experience as I found this Super 8 already on the list!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mxn359
Springfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

My expectations were low, but so was my budget, so I couldn't pass up the deal I found for this hotel. The parking situation wasn't nearly as bad as some people described. The spots are skinny, but with a small car and a good driver, you'll live right through it. Our room was small, and the bed was your standard 1 or 2-star motel issue, but the TV was REALLY nice: a wall-mounted HD flatscreen that actually had HD cable and lots of channels. The bathroom seemed nearly as large as the bedroom, and although it was very clean, it had only a pedestal sink - so virtually NO counter space. But the nights were quiet, despite being on a lower floor with neighbors on both sides and the window facing the parking lot. Also, the motel is very convenient to bus lines and within walking distance of lots of shops and restaurants. Would stay there again, especially for what I paid this last time!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank samsfromcali
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

There are no inexpensive places to stay in San Francisco, including this ones; with tax, a double room was $200 per night on a Saturday. The family running the motel seems competent and friendly; there were some minor maintenance issues, however, bed side lights that would mysteriously blink out; door locks that wouldn't work, chairs with torn upholstery. The rooms were clean however, relatively quiet. Very limited off street parking at the motel; the lot is small and crowded; there is a $15/night lot next door that will probably be worth the money if you have a large car or arrive late.
In actually, the area is NOT Fishermans Wharf; it is close to the Exploratorium and is in the Marina area. There are good places to shop and eat one block away on Chestnut street.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ndlxs
ENGLAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed 3 nights in May 2010 .Pouring down with rain when we arrived after leaving Barbeque weather in South Shields. First impressions weren’t good. Reminded me of Pontins in Wales when my kids were small ie.chalet type of accommodation. My son was instantly depressed, being used to hotels in recent years. However things improved. Stopped raining and we were surprised to find the surrounding area quite upmarket. It is very central for bars and restaurants and the buses pass regularly to the downtown area.
Manageress was very friendly, free internet and local telephones calls which came in handy when I was hiring a car. There were 2 problems however. The first was a group of school kids who made an unearthly racket the first night, till the early hours. Next day I had a word with their leader and had no more trouble.Next my son’s iPod disappeared one day from our room and never reappeared, despite protestations to the Management and cleaners.
Would probably stay again, just with my wife next time, as I’m not sure motels are my son’s style.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike S
Metropolis, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

Don't even consider this dump. Attracted by the low price and location my wife made an on-line reservation here for my daughter and I who were on a road trip. Upon arrival the first observation was that there was no where to park while checking in since the dozen or so places in the interior parking area were full. Waiting in line in a lobby reeking with curry, I asked to see the room. I was told that that would not be possible. I should have bailed out right there, but no, I went on and checked in and put it on my credit card. We took one look at the room and were appalled. We got back in the car and drove east a few blocks on Lombard and found an absolutely beautiful room at the Chelsea Motor Inn for $20.00 more, with ample free parking for all guests. I returned to the Super 8 and requested a refund but was denied. For the first time in my life, I have disputed a charge with my credit card company. And incidentally it's not even near Fisherman's Wharf.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family