“A Hotel for the Budget Conscious Traveller”
Review of Adante Hotel

Adante Hotel
Ranked #186 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a major conference happening in the City. It is is located near Union Square and not far from other major chain hotels. There is a Wal-Greens and Jack in the Box nearby as well as other restaurants, cafes, art galleries, etc.The bathroom was remodeled and was clean. The beds had fresh sheets. Make sure you bring your walking shoes unless you have a car or plan to rely on a taxi.

Here's the not so pretty stuff. It is an old hotel with a boutique charm. This place is small and narrow. The elevator is pretty small and there is a warning on the elevator door to limit capacity. It says the limit is 4 people with no luggage or 3 people with luggage. If you put more people than what it says, you will get STUCK!!!. I didn't see anyone personally get stuck but it is posted inside and outside the elevator.

If you are the type of person who prefers more spacious accomodations, then look elsewhere. I shared a room with a friend who had made the reservation for us so it was a surprise to what the hotel was going to be like.

The hotel is in a somewhat rough area. There are alot of homeless near the hotel. I used the BART to come up to the City and I used O'Farrell and then turn on Jones which is the nearest cross street to the hotel. Boy was this a mistake. It was full of homeless and I happened to come through with my luggage going up hill. Avoid this at all costs. My suggestion is to hit Geary from Mason or Powell. Taylor is also questionable because it is so close to the homeless area.

In terms of the room, it was repainted with the nice mural by the ceiling but is small. My roommate said rooms in downtown San Francisco tend to be small but this is too small for me. The pictures make the room to be bigger than they are but it is clean. Our room had only one working outlet. It is a bit challenging to charge laptops and phones overnight. There was an extra extension outlet by the tv but it didn't work even after I clicked the button. There is also a small deep closet. Good to put a couple of large suit cases and some packages in. There was also a safe that didn't work at first but my friend had it reset after hotel staff came in.

I agree with the other posts, there is a level of noise. We were on a corner (Room 404) so we were not sharing walls with other rooms but I could hear the ding for the elevator or footsteps from the stairs. The noise for our room was coming from the street. You can hear fights, sirens, and drunk people walk by. I woke up several times because of the noise (I am a light sleeper). The beds were firm and so were the pillows. If you are the type who likes a firm mattress with firm pillows than its for you.

Note to tall people: If you select af full size room, your feet will hang over the bed. I am 5'4 and I kind of slide down in the bed so my feet hung out from the bed. My room rate was taller than me and her feet really hung off the bed without sliding down. Perhaps a queen or kind size bed might suit you better.

The breakfast downstairs was light. Coffee, Juice, fresh bananas and toast. If that is good for you then you will be happy. The hotel is adjoined to a pizza restaurant but it didn't look appealing to us so we avoided it.

There was an historic looking wall heater that is probably from the 1930s or 1940s but we didn't use it at all. We keep the window slightly open and had no problems but its up to you to deal with the noise.

Overall, I would not return to this hotel because it does not suit my personal tastes but it would say it would be suitable for an individual or couple on a budget.

Room Tip: If you are tall, avoid full size beds because your feet will hang over.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We booked this hotel month before our trip. At first they could'nt find our reservation and yelled about that to us, which was confusing. We got our room and it was ok. You can hear everything from other rooms, but the hotel is situated really well: union square is just a 5 min walk away. They also serve a toast-coffee-breakfast. The hotel is not in the best shape but it's cheap.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

It was a place with good staff and gave the feeling of comfort. It was located near the tourist amenities and I was glad to stay there. The cost was reasonable and that's good if you are on a budget as I was.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank PatrickWarchol
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a pretty basic hotel not too far from many tourist attractions in SF. Union Square is a stroll away. Pretty good restaurants and bars in the vicinity. The area around the hotel can be a little edgy at night and noise is a problem when you're on a lower floor. Normally, I never have any problems with noise, but this hotel was very badly isolated.
Staff at the front desk is helpful and always available for a little effort. Even when the Oracle was in progress, I managed to get an affordable room. My room was big with a comfortable bed and sofa, but the TV was too far away from the bed/sofa to be comfortable. The interiors are a bit outdates, but it does have a certain atmosphere.
One big issue was their roomkeys. In 7 days, I had to change mine 3 times because it stopped working.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank headhunterke
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Adante is very, very reasonably priced in a city with a lot of very expensive hotels. Not ideal for a business traveler with an expense account, but OK for a business traveler on a budget. Lots of tourists (obviously, in San Francisco), also on a budget. Noise is a bit of an issue. I could hear footsteps on the stairs. I had serious problems connecting on the room's Wi-Fi, but it worked fine from the lobby. The elevator is limited to four persons at a time, otherwise it gets stuck. Nonetheless, good location and very reasonably priced for the traveler on a budget.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank NYCTraveler88
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is pretty decent little hotel for budget travelers who just need a place to crash in the city. I was able to get an early check-in, and the staff was always friendly to me, although to be fair I did detect an attitude from one of the hotel staff in his dealings with a European lady. The room is small but clean, and the shower works well. The view from my room was the bedroom of an Asian guy who was living in the building directly next door; needless to say I kept the curtains closed for most of our stay. It's a five minute walk to Union Square and a ten minute walk to the Bart/MUNI station on Market and Powell. The elevator is a bit creepy but if you follow the three passenger rule you'll be fine. The area can be a little sketchy at night, but nothing out of the ordinary for a big city. Use common sense and enjoy one of the most amazing cities in the world.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phizzy56
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a recommendation. Was like being in a horror hotel. Brick wall out side window, lights flickering, bedside lamps turning off I cable or wall touched, fan not working, radiator not shutting off, elevator very old and unpredictable, Valet parking costs. It's not in a very friendly area.
The rooms were very very tiny...but really clean!
Some staff were good and some were not.
But what I was most disappointed about was that I emailed twice to try and see if I had left a necklace in the room (something irreplaceable) realized I didn't have it when I returned home :( ... Despite the emails they never even replied and that was a month ago. I contacted other hotels I'd stayed at and they got back to me working a few days.
So I wouldn't reccommend staying here if you want a nice relaxing holiday!

Leanne