“Good for the price”

Ranked #182 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Good for the price”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

In/near Union Square. Clean enough. Not hotel/pristine clean, but clean like you friend's grandmother's house. Needs new carpet and a new paint job. Staff were really great and competent. The rooms are indeed tiny, and you should bring ear plugs if you get a hotel facing the street, because the windows are thin. Overall, definitely got what I paid for. Homeless people are outside, but the area is safe. Union Square (nice, safe) is right next to Tenderloin (not so nice/safe), so homeless people are throughout Union Square. So expect some panhandling no matter where you stay in Union Square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Trbovlje
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The breakfast was very, very poor. You could get just toast with salty butter and marmalade, 3 different tastes of low quality muffins and bananas. For drinks you can get different tees, coffee, very sweetly orange and apple juice and no cold watter. During the time we were staying there one computer out of two and the ATM were out of order, the restrooms in the lobby was out of order for two days and the last night the only lift broke down, so they have to help us bring the luggage down. Rooms were tidy, the furniture was quite new, just the TV in the room was very old and had bad picture. There were very nice paintings on the walls. We could not oppen the window, because there was to much noise from the street below. The stuff were very friendly and helpful. They organized us the transportation with the shuttle back to the airport and bus tour around the San Francisco, they advise us which bus we have to take to get to the specific attractions and they print us the boarding pass for our flight without a charge.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel is very well located, the rooms are ok and the bathroom is clean. But very old building, elevator is slow and sometimes break, poor breakfast. We had breakfast out of the hotel most of the days. Staff was helpfull.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julia B
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is worst hotel I have ever stayed in my entire life. The room is dirty, the bed is super unfortable, the location is filled with homeless people. When I reviewed my bank statement, they charged me $50.00 in additional to the room fees for no reason. I learned my lesson, and I would rather to pay $200 dollars more to say at anywhere else than this [--] place!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Candy S

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This dump was all that was available. Tiny rooms, narrow stairs, a lousy continental "breakfast," and they charge you to use the lobby computer (the other one was out of service).

The location is sketchy.

Looking out my window all I saw was a brick shaft and small pieces of toilet paper everywhere. My T-Mobile phone wouldn't work. Don't get me started on the street people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cumbria
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We couldn't get anywhere else for the time we wanted to go to San Francisco and we found pretty much what everyone else found. It was more like a large B&B than a hotel. Staff weren't particularly helpful, decor wasn't to our taste, wifi tempremental upstairs but we knew that before we arrived thanks to the reviews on Tripadvisor and breakfast was poor. Our toilet blocked and we were given a plunger to sort the problem out ourselves because there's no maintenance at night - again I'd read the reviews so wasn't too surprised when it happened.

If you can change your hotel without too much bother I'd advise you do it - if not the Adante has clean rooms and comfortable beds and if like us that's all you need then it will do (although I'm not sure you should have to make do when you're on holiday!)

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having a view the rooms at the back of the hotel are best because they are...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GizmosmumCumbria
Japan
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I'll try to keep this short as it would turn into a deluge of venom if I tried to express all that is wrong with this useless waste of prime real estate.

Here are my impressions after my wife and I stayed at this hotel in September 2012.

Customer Service: Upon entering the hotel to check it I was casually greeted by the two staff at the front desk. One was eating her lunch, taking photos of it and sharing them on Facebook via her cell phone. With food still in her mouth she asked how she could help us. He coworker remained reclined in his chair with his feet on the front desk as he, too, fiddled with his phone. During the check-in process there was a problem that could only apparently be fixed with the two staff yelling at each other in front of us. Very professional. Ten points for youthful rage and intensity. Zero for customer service.

Elevator: Jeez. Let's try this with only one word descriptions: smelly, rickety, old, run-down, smelly, smell-and-fresh (after someone sprinkled baking soda on the ground), terrible. I would have taken the stairs had they not been so narrow and had the guard rail not been unhinged and unsafe.

Room: Busted ceiling fan. Old, worn-out bed was the perfect nest for a crappy night's sleep.

Bathroom: "Skin friendly" shower had two settings: drip, drip, driiiiip and holy-tortoise-crap-candy I have no more skin left. At least the water was warm.

Overall state of the hotel: dilapidated. The paint is chipped and the carpet is old, musty and coming undone in the hallways. The staff are unprofessional and rude. The area isn't the best, but then it's San Francisco where you always need your wits about you and where walking at night can be a bit sketchy. For example, there is a Walgreen's just down the street where hookers and pimps obstruct your way not only in, but also out.

Price: $169 before taxes and fees. Had this hotel been $16.90 I would have still felt cheated. I stayed in two other hotels during my stay in The City, he Pickwick and he Opal hotels. I can't recommend the Pickwick enough and the Opal was fine, too.

Leave your valuables, pick up your kids and run as fast as you can, no, drive or fly as fast as you can away from this steaming pile of no-good, bad, nasty garbage.

Room Tip: Here's the best tip I can give you: don't choose the Adante Hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple