“fantastic hotel”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #68 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 21, 2010

stayed 3 nights at stanford court in san francisco fantastic hotel great staff good location

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank chrstphrwarwick
Write a ReviewReviews (4,948)

Reviewed July 21, 2010

After agonising for many weeks over our San Francisco accommodation, we chose the Renaissance Stanford Court. We were impressed with the central location and a great view. It was quiet and the room was very comfortable. It is close to Union Square and cable car stops.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wal151
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My daughter's 16th birthday gift was a trip to San Francisco to see Idina Menzel sing with the San Francisco Symphony.

As is my modus operandi I immediately went to upromise.com to click on priceline.com (because priceline.com gives you 2% back for college with every transaction) to purchase a hotel room.

I wasn't too familiar with San Francisco so I took a "nearest to symphony" approach. I chose Nob Hill area, 4 star hotel and, as is my way, tried $88/night.

I was delighted to find that priceline had accepted my request. We left in early July for a 4 day trip to San Francisco.

We arrived early at the hotel and the front desk worked at getting rooms next to each other (not an option on the priceline site). They told us they'd call us when our rooms were ready and we went out for our journey. The hotel has a great big interactive touch screen map where you can find restaurants, tourist destinations, etc so we chose a restaurant a few blocks away.

Sadly, the restaurant was closed and we were a tad disappointed as we continued our stroll in search of a restaurant. Within minutes we found ourselves in Chinatown. AWESOME. Had no idea Chinatown and Nob Hill were so close to each other! Had no idea Nob Hill is so close to everything.

We came back to the hotel and the valet was always Johnny on the Spot in getting our doors opened and us on our way to our room. Please note - in retrospect I would never rent a car again in San Francisco. It was convenient to be able to drive to/from the airport...but there is no real need for a car. The driving is insane, the available transportation is varied and quite available and, get this...the parking at the hotel was FIFTY DOLLARS A DAY. Plus the tips for the valet. Plus the cost of a rental car. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE. And very unnecessary.

The elevators are close to the front desk and the rooms are wonderful. They are very large and roomy with great oversized chairs for watching the gorgeous flat screen tele.

I usually don't sleep well in hotel beds but I slept like a log in these incredibly comfy beds. The bathrooms were nice but I'm always disappointed that a 4 star hotel can't have a bigger bathtub. Maybe that's just me.

They use yummy Aveda products (which we pilfered) and their coffeemaker made quite a decent cup of coffee. The last night we ordered room service and the food was delicious.

A must see if you are staying on Nob Hill -- regardless of our religious persuasion -- check out the Grace Cathedral. It's mammoth and truly jaw dropping. There is some good mojo in that church...and if you go in, why don't you light a candle and pray for your family, your country, the earth. ;)

All in all, this hotel comes highly recommended. Just DON'T rent a car. - I deleted a star from Value because of that little nugget.

Later, peeps! Happy travelling!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank loopysis
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Stayed at the Stanford Court for 4 nights last week with wife and 2 teenaged daughters. You won't find a better location- on Nob Hill where the cable car lines cross. The service was incredible. As you walked into the hotel you were greeted personally and the front desk opened the elevators for you as you approached them so there was no wait. Incredible, friendly staff- helpful with storing bags, getting van to airport quickly, extra towels, anything we needed. All this for $129 a night in San Francisco !!!!!! Amazing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank DavidLynwood
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I have stayed at many Marriotts and am an elite member. I have to say, this was the BEST Marriott I have ever stayed at. The location was beautiful, atop Nob Hill, the staff was amazing, so friendly and accommodating, the restaurant had a simple and elegant menu which was delicious and served with perfect service, the rooms were nicely decorated, clean and had huge bathrooms. What more could you ask for? I found the location to be great, just jump on a cable car and you can go almost anywhere. Two cable cars stop right at your door, the California and the Powell. You can also connect to the buses from the cable car. I slept the best I have ever slept in my life. The bed and linens were very nice and comfortable. I loved waking up to a sunny view of Twin Peaks from my room and the cheery "ding ding" of the cable car 8 stories down (honestly you could barely hear it). The staff greeted us by name each morning and evening with a friendly smile and hello. Whatever we needed was no trouble at all. I can't wait to go back! Simply Perfect.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank designerd0212
Reviewed July 7, 2010

This hotel has the best location. Two trolley cars pass at this intersection, chinatown down one hill, the bay down another. This was my first trip to california, I really enjoyed it.

This hotel had a great staff, and comfy beds.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank specialed08
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Pros - good location, clean rooms

Cons -
The maid left our room door open all day long. We left at 9am and came back at 5pm and our door was wide open. The concierge apologized, but no concession was made. Luckily nothing was stolen; however, BIG mistake.

The bed and pillows were not comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple