“Old Fashioned but Very Nice..”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #57 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dundee
“Old Fashioned but Very Nice..”
Reviewed October 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon before flying off to Hawaii. We found the hotel to be in the best possible location. For this alone I would have paid a bit more!!

On arrival we were met at our limousine and escorted to the check in desk. The check in process was very nice and pleasant even after a 10hr flight. The desk staff were very polite and helpful. They all provided as much information as to what was available around and about the hotel and also advised on best modes of transport around the area. Excellent.

The room decor was a bit dated but as you enter the hotel you kind of expect to be met with a room that befits the rest of the decor. Not surprised by this and not at all let down.

We did not use the restaurant therefore we cannot comment on this but from the aromas coming from the general area of the restaurant we certainly should have. We did however utilise room service which arrived very quickly and was well presented.

What i liked most about this hotel is the staff never once stood and waited for me to pass on gratuities. They were very quick to make an exit after carrying out their duties which i liked but still we never let them leave without passing a tip which always seemed to be taken with surprise and lots of thanks. Nice to see that some folk still appreciate it and don't just expect it...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Location when cable cars had stopped for the night!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — $11 all day pass for cable cars.....a must have
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Scottish_Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2006

I recently stayed at the Renaissance Stanford Court for a conference. I got food poisoning from an appetizer in the hotel bar, one colleague got food poisoning from the hotel restaurant, and yet another colleague's wife got sick from the hotel restaurant.

The hotel itself has grand architecture and a nice location, but things like the food -- as well as the fact that the stairways are very few and nearly impossible to locate (making this place a firetrap and earthquake trap) -- really overshadow the edifice and decor.

Stayed September 2006
South Carolina
Reviewed October 4, 2006

What a great Hotel in a great city. My wife and I arrived from the East Coast at 11 am and the front desk found us a room that had already been cleaned and was ready. That was great to since we had been up so early and needed a place to freshen up. The location is convenient to Chinatown and Union Square, just a couple of blocks each way. The trolley line has a stop right beside the Hotel and that makes it easy to get to all the tourist spots. A newspaper and coffee or tea in the morning is waiting at your door. The Hotel is very clean and the staff was very accommodating. The room was a little outdated, but the very plush and comfortable bed more that made up for that one flaw.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank cashme
SLC, UT
Reviewed October 3, 2006

We arrived in San Francisco Thursday morning and took BART to the Powell station. We decided to bag the cab and just walk up Powell to the Stanford Court hotel - with our luggage. (Yes, I know it’s at the top of Nob Hill….but I knew we’d be eating a lot of delicious food and welcomed the exercise)

We booked our room about 2 months before our stay on Marriott’s web-site. They had a deal – Super Savvy Weekend rate for $159.00 and we stayed 4 nights.

The Stanford Court is a nice, clean hotel with a very friendly staff. We arrived around 10:30AM and to my surprise, the room was ready. I’m Platinum with Marriott so we selected our arrival gift: Bottled water…(quite parched after the uphill trek) and brie/crackers – plus it came with a side of grapes – yum.

The size of the room is a bit bigger than most San Francisco hotels (but many SF hotels have tiny rooms). The room was clean but very traditional, almost antique looking furniture but the room had everything we needed. A king bed with down comforters and pillow top, separate vanity from the bathroom with full length mirror, open closet next to the vanity/sink with bench. Our room was on the 8th floor with a partial city view. I noticed the walls in the room needed a fresh coat of paint but I could smell fresh paint in the hall-way and noticed they’d painted other areas around the hotel, so I’m sure room will be refreshed soon.

The bed seemed very comfortable at first but at night as we slept the bed sloped a bit in the middle. We’d wake up right next to each other and we’d have to scoot back to our sides. It may have been the mattress or maybe an old bed frame?

We loved the chocolates on our pillows with the turn down service and hot chocolate with our wake-up call. As a Platinum member, we got the healthy start buffet on weekday mornings in the restaurant. They had oatmeal, granola, cereal, croissants, pastries, fresh berries, toast, etc. It was good.

The location is perfect – walk down Powell to Union Square or walk down California to China Town and the Embarcadero or walk down Powell to the North to North Beach and Fisherman’s Wharf. Sometimes the walk back up the uphill was a little difficult after a big meal but we loved the exercise. If we’d had enough exercise for the day, it was easy to catch a cab for a few bucks. The trolley stops at the top of the hill – but it’s not worth $5 a person. A cab is much cheaper.

Just down Powell, a street or two is a liquor store/market. The prices are better than other similar stores closer to Union Square. It’s a great place to stock up on water, snacks and beverages for the week. Just down from the market is a great little Mexican restaurant. I don’t remember the name but it was really good an in-expensive compared to other nearby restaurants. Other days/nights we ventured to North Beach for lunches and dinner. North Beach has better restaurants than Union Square. We always felt safe walking back to the hotel at night.

The staff was pleasant and we did not have any problems. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — $159 rate and central location
  • Disliked — sloped bed - and they charge for internet connection
  • Tips/Secrets — Check for "Deals" on Marriotts web-site. Bring your walking shoes.....
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank ajslc
london
Reviewed September 30, 2006

i have stayed at the stanford twice now and it is a stunning hotel with lovely rooms/excellent room service and friendly staff. The location is fantastic just mins from union square and mins from chinatown and little italy. Its right on a tram line to everywhere.Fishermans wharf is onyl a 20min walk away although also just an easy tram ride. Would highly recommend.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank dillojs
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 25, 2006

The service at this hotel was impecable but the rooms are getting a bit long in the tooth. It is definately time for a makeover / renovation. That being said, everything in the room was in good condition / good working order and the carpets were clean (some reviews said they wern't.) Bathtubs / showersdrain very slow (or not at all in the 1st room we were in).

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — The "age" of the room. Many elements were out of date (ie. 5 inch B/W TV in bathroom)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JBinTLV
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed September 25, 2006

First off I would like to say that I am not the type that would write something unless I felt that it would help out other travelers. Ok that being said I stayed at this property for two nights starting 23sep06. At check in the agents basically ignored me until one finally gave in to helping me. I flew to San Francisco with my sister and had made multiple calls for a room with two beds. When we went up to our room there was only one bed. Also the room had stains on the carpeting, furniture, and the grout of the bathroom was disgusting. For the price that they ask for this hotel I expected it to be at least clean!!!! After speaking with the front desk they explained they were on a sold out status but could upgrade me for an additional charge of $30. Being that I had already paid $280 a night for this property and had also made multiple calls I refused and said I would be down to speak to the manager. When I spoke to the manager he reiterated what I was told but when I mentioned to him they offered me another room for an additional charge he denied they offered that for a two bed room. I finally told him that I would stay at a different property if he could find one. After 20min the manager came back and advised me that a room "Miraculously" became available but it needed to be cleaned. He offered my sister and I a drink in the lobby while we waited. An entire bottle of wine later the room was still not available. After 1 hour we finally went up and showed us our room. This room was an improvement but it had a smell of a wet dog. Being that the property does allow animals under 25lbs I accepeted that the prior guest must have had a pet and that the maids are unable to clean at a standard that I had expected for the price i was paying. Overall the stay was not one that I would recommend. I have stayed at numerous properties in the San Francisco area and this one is just not worth the price. Also for those of you that do not have a rental car or prefer to roam around the city by foot, BE AWARE that this property is on top of a HUGE hill and it is a very steep incline. So in closing if you want to get the most value for your dollar stay at the Omni or Fairmont, those are worth it.

• Liked — Very soft and comfortable beds
  • Disliked — staff, price, filthy
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at the omni hotel