“Deplorable Hotel. Waste of money.”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #68 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 2, 2006

My fiancé and I stayed at the Stanford Court Hotel on February 26th and 27th 2006. We arrived full of anticipation of staying in a 5 star hotel. When we left the Stanford Court we were and are determined never to stay at a Marriott hotel again. The lack of service from the hotel staff was unacceptable. The lack of comfort and cleanliness in our room was deplorable.

When we arrived the desk clerks were rude and rushed. Our room (#436) was filthy. The bed sheets had a hole in them, the carpet was stained throughout, the bathroom had mold growing on the shower doors and in the tile of the floor, dust covered everything, there was a very strong musty smell, the décor was mismatched (Asian paintings, oak entertainment center, bed coverings in a tacky floral print, drapes in a southwest motif, and a bed frame in faux bamboo), simply not coordinated at all. The heat lamp timer in our bathroom was broken and the water pressure in the shower was very low. Sometimes the water stopped during the shower.

My fiancé bought a pair of jeans during our stay and needed to remove the tags. I called the concierge who told me to call back as he was busy at the moment. He didn’t even offer to call us back. I called the front desk and asked if a pair of scissors could be brought to our room. The front desk clerk told us they could not send scissors for safety reasons. I asked her what she would suggest I do. She said “If you have a pocket knife you should try that.” Why would I call to request scissors if I had a pocket knife? This was insulting and rude. I took it upon myself to go to the gift shop and they had travel scissors that she let me borrow. The hotel desk clerk could have informed us about this which would have saved me 30 minutes.

The complimentary beverages with a wake up call were ridiculous. Neither of us drinks coffee so we opted for the hot chocolate. When it arrived it was cold and very watered down. I later learned that it was Nestle Instant Cocoa Packets added to water. This hotel is located in San Francisco, home to one of the most famous chocolate companies in the world! Why would the hotel not use Ghirardelli? For the cost of the stay and the star rating of this hotel, instant cocoa packets are far below acceptable. For our 2nd wake up call I requested an extra packet of hot cocoa since the first was watered down. The front desk clerk assured me it would be sent. Our 2nd morning wake up call was 1 hour late! They only sent us 1 mug and instead of an extra packet of cocoa they sent us 10 extra packets of sweet-n-low! I called the front desk and complained. No apology was offered. I asked for a 2nd mug and an extra packet of cocoa. 15 minutes later we received an extra carafe of cocoa, no 2nd mug, and no extra packets of cocoa. The service was unbelievably incompetent!

Our second night at the hotel the weather was very cold and rainy. My fiancé requested a cup of tea from the front desk. They told her it would cost $5 plus $3 room service fee. $8 for a cup of tea is ridiculous! I told the front desk that they offered free tea to guests in the morning, could they please offer it now. I was rudely told no. I asked if they could at least bring us some water and the front desk clerk told me to use the vending machine on the 2nd floor. Needless to say I was furious. A 5 star hotel could not even offer complimentary water to guests?!?! I took it upon myself to walk down to the restaurant located in the hotel. I told the maitre d' our circumstances and in less than 5 minutes he gave me 2 bottles of water and a cup of hot tea at no charge. Why could the hotel not do this? Why could the hotel not at least refer us to the restaurant?

The complimentary town car service offered to guests on the Monday we were there was a joke. We waited 15 minutes for an available car at 8am in the morning. We then were told we had to share it with another couple going to a convention. I explained to the driver that we were meeting friends for breakfast at 8:20 at Fisherman’s Wharf. He assured me he would get us there on time. He got lost driving the other couple to their destination making us 15 minutes late to our breakfast reservations.

We drove 17 hours to San Francisco stopping on the way spontaneously at a Best Western Motel. The quality of service we received there was far superior to the Stanford Court hotel and the comfort of the bed even better. The bed in our room at Stanford Court had spring coils that could be felt through the mattress!

Our trip was completely ruined and what was supposed to be a romantic weekend getaway for my new fiancé and I ended up being a frustrating uncomfortable stay.
I expected more from Marriott, to at least have them live up to the standards of being a 5 star hotel. I will not be staying at the Stanford Court ever again in the future. When choosing a hotel in the future for any destination, Marriott will be last on our list if at all.

Be warned: Parking at the hotel cost us over $100 for 2 nights! Absolutely crazy. Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,948)

Reviewed February 9, 2006

I have stayed at the Renaissance on more than one occassion and have never been disappointed. The staff were helpful...even asked them for a red balloon (we were playing a game) and then asked them for a wine opener which was delievered to our room in a matter of minutes.

Ask for a room with two queen beds...they are spacious and lovely.

The location is perfect with cable cars at the corner and cabs right at the door.

You will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: May 2004
4  Thank luv2travel_2004
Reviewed February 8, 2006

We stayed and the Renaissance for a weekend getaway. To be honest when we checked into the room I almost cried. It was so old, so dingy and I am sure any sort of germ analysis on that bedspread would bring shocking results. For the price and the star rating, I expected soooo much more. However, the lobby was nice, the staff very nice and courteous and the bar nice. The morning coffee delivered to your door was a very nice addition, but not enough to make up for how outdated the room was

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank Cdurling
Reviewed January 21, 2006

We had the best service but a dated room; a beautiful location, but a view of a satellite dish from our window. We had high-speed internet access, but no in-room safe to stow a computer. I don't know if I am a good judge of this hotel because we were here for a conference and received a discounted room rate. Most of the attendees, like us, were accomodated on the second floor. I don't know if the higher floors are nicer, but our room was very dated, although clean. (Too recent to be charmingly antique; too old to be hip.) For example, there was a strange bamboo-framed curtain apparatus over the bed that looked silly. In addition, the bathroom was straight out of the 70s, with a black-and-white swivel TV in the corner. However, the location was great and the service was efficient and friendly. You can make too much of it, I know, but the complimentary coffee and hot chocolate in the morning is a nice touch. Because of the location and service, I have to say I like this hotel, but I will try another when I return to town.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank PJDF
Reviewed January 13, 2006

The moment we arrived at the hotel, we were impressed with the service. The doormen could not help you enough with unloading luggage and opening doors. On approaching the desk we were assisted straight away very efficiently. They found our booking and said that they would find us a better room, it took less than 5 minutes to check in which is just what we needed after a long journey. Although it was a bit of a trek from the lifts, the room was spacious and clean and the view over the city and bay was magnificent. The room was well equipped and the complimentary coffee and newspaper delivered at the time you specify every morning is a great idea. The only problem we did have was the cost of the drinks in the bar - far too costly so we just drank and ate elsewhere and brought our own drinks in for a nightcap. The hotel also had no problem with us ordering a takeaway and taking it to our room. The location was not really in the tourist area and was a major walk to anywhere, however we hired a car and had it valet parked in the hotel (this was rather costly also but not bad compared to other car parks in the area). A beautiful place to stay with very unintrusive yet efficient service where nothing was too much trouble. Thank you to all the staff.

7  Thank Victoria W
Reviewed December 6, 2005

My friend and I stayed at the Stanford Court for the Thanksgiving holiday from November 24-29. It was our first time in San Francisco. The location is unbeatable - Nob Hill is clean, quiet and cozy, away from all the noise, tourists and panhandlers 4 blocks down the hill in Union Square. I was overall very satisfied by the hotel but I was disappointed in some areas. I have to agree with some of the other reviewers here that the front desk staff is a little cold. Not necessarily rude but just stiff and not very welcoming. They were accommodating when our room wasn't ready even though it was well past the check in time so we ended up in a large corner unit with pretty decent views. The doormen and the housekeeping staff are excellent - we were always happily greeted and they were responsive to our needs.

There were some nice amenities but quite overrated. We had bathrobes which were a nice touch. The heated towel rack didn't do much to heat the towel except in the three spots where the rack hit the towel - maybe my expectation was too high. What I liked much better was the heat lamp which kept the room toasty so you didnt get the chills when you emerged from the shower. The showers are awesome - the water pressure was perfect. I don't usually make showerheads a point in my reviews but it was that memorable! Also, all the beds had the amazing new marriott featherbeds which are just heavenly. The coffee, tea or hot chocolate service in the mornings was nice too but don't expect the beverages to be of high quality.

My friend and I walked almost all of San Francisco. We had dinner in the Union Square area most nights and would trek back up the 4 or 5 blocks uphill to the hotel. We don't exercise but we are from cities where we walk a lot, albeit on flat ground. I would use your own judgement for walking around but you can save a lot of money and see much more by walking.

The public transportation system is confusing because there are 10 different types of public transport serving limited areas. BART seems to be more of a commuter train going out to suburbs with select stops in the city. Buses weren't the best option because it can be confusing for tourists. The cable cars don't go very far and for $5 per one-way ride, it's a total rip-off. There was also some cable train system which was cheap and got us out to Castro but it took a lot of maps and research to get around for cheap. I still recommend walking to most areas and cabbing back at day's end.

I fell in love with San Francisco and I would stay at the Stanford Court again.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank Pui Chi W
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Stayed at the hotel the evening of November 19, 2005. I used Marriott points (30,000) and my wife and I were disappointed in a variety of different ways. The room was adequate, but we were unable to regulate the air conditioning system, thus even with the windows open, the room was uncomfortable. Upon check out, the desk clerk advised us that the range of temperature in the rooms is controlled, as to not affect the adjoining rooms. The bathroom had a sliding door, and the wash area only had one sink and limited electrical outlets. The valet parking fee was just under $50.00, steep for even SF prices. The morning coffee service was a nice feature, but certainly didn't make up for the other deficiencies. We would not consider this property for future stays.

• Stayed: November 2005