My fiancé and I stayed at the Stanford Court Hotel on February 26th and 27th 2006. We arrived full of anticipation of staying in a 5 star hotel. When we left the Stanford Court we were and are determined never to stay at a Marriott hotel again. The lack of service from the hotel staff was unacceptable. The lack of comfort and cleanliness in our room was deplorable.
When we arrived the desk clerks were rude and rushed. Our room (#436) was filthy. The bed sheets had a hole in them, the carpet was stained throughout, the bathroom had mold growing on the shower doors and in the tile of the floor, dust covered everything, there was a very strong musty smell, the décor was mismatched (Asian paintings, oak entertainment center, bed coverings in a tacky floral print, drapes in a southwest motif, and a bed frame in faux bamboo), simply not coordinated at all. The heat lamp timer in our bathroom was broken and the water pressure in the shower was very low. Sometimes the water stopped during the shower.
My fiancé bought a pair of jeans during our stay and needed to remove the tags. I called the concierge who told me to call back as he was busy at the moment. He didn’t even offer to call us back. I called the front desk and asked if a pair of scissors could be brought to our room. The front desk clerk told us they could not send scissors for safety reasons. I asked her what she would suggest I do. She said “If you have a pocket knife you should try that.” Why would I call to request scissors if I had a pocket knife? This was insulting and rude. I took it upon myself to go to the gift shop and they had travel scissors that she let me borrow. The hotel desk clerk could have informed us about this which would have saved me 30 minutes.
The complimentary beverages with a wake up call were ridiculous. Neither of us drinks coffee so we opted for the hot chocolate. When it arrived it was cold and very watered down. I later learned that it was Nestle Instant Cocoa Packets added to water. This hotel is located in San Francisco, home to one of the most famous chocolate companies in the world! Why would the hotel not use Ghirardelli? For the cost of the stay and the star rating of this hotel, instant cocoa packets are far below acceptable. For our 2nd wake up call I requested an extra packet of hot cocoa since the first was watered down. The front desk clerk assured me it would be sent. Our 2nd morning wake up call was 1 hour late! They only sent us 1 mug and instead of an extra packet of cocoa they sent us 10 extra packets of sweet-n-low! I called the front desk and complained. No apology was offered. I asked for a 2nd mug and an extra packet of cocoa. 15 minutes later we received an extra carafe of cocoa, no 2nd mug, and no extra packets of cocoa. The service was unbelievably incompetent!
Our second night at the hotel the weather was very cold and rainy. My fiancé requested a cup of tea from the front desk. They told her it would cost $5 plus $3 room service fee. $8 for a cup of tea is ridiculous! I told the front desk that they offered free tea to guests in the morning, could they please offer it now. I was rudely told no. I asked if they could at least bring us some water and the front desk clerk told me to use the vending machine on the 2nd floor. Needless to say I was furious. A 5 star hotel could not even offer complimentary water to guests?!?! I took it upon myself to walk down to the restaurant located in the hotel. I told the maitre d' our circumstances and in less than 5 minutes he gave me 2 bottles of water and a cup of hot tea at no charge. Why could the hotel not do this? Why could the hotel not at least refer us to the restaurant?
The complimentary town car service offered to guests on the Monday we were there was a joke. We waited 15 minutes for an available car at 8am in the morning. We then were told we had to share it with another couple going to a convention. I explained to the driver that we were meeting friends for breakfast at 8:20 at Fisherman’s Wharf. He assured me he would get us there on time. He got lost driving the other couple to their destination making us 15 minutes late to our breakfast reservations.
We drove 17 hours to San Francisco stopping on the way spontaneously at a Best Western Motel. The quality of service we received there was far superior to the Stanford Court hotel and the comfort of the bed even better. The bed in our room at Stanford Court had spring coils that could be felt through the mattress!
Our trip was completely ruined and what was supposed to be a romantic weekend getaway for my new fiancé and I ended up being a frustrating uncomfortable stay.
I expected more from Marriott, to at least have them live up to the standards of being a 5 star hotel. I will not be staying at the Stanford Court ever again in the future. When choosing a hotel in the future for any destination, Marriott will be last on our list if at all.
Be warned: Parking at the hotel cost us over $100 for 2 nights! Absolutely crazy. Stay away from this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience the new Stanford Court! We are excited to share our multi-million dollar transformation that includes updates & revamps that transcend to our lobby, café , bar, porte-cochere, & fitness center. Guided by the design concept of "where tomorrow meets yesterday," the newly renovated Stanford Court integrates Nob Hill's grand history with the innovative and tech-focused spirit of today's San Francisco. Expect cool graphics, a new modern color palette and nods to our past. Our new 1500 square foot Fitness Center features state of the art equipment including interactive Kinima stations offering personalized workouts and floor-to-ceiling windows that fill the space with natural light and views of the famed cable cars. As always, guests will find their stay here enhanced with inspiring innovations, sophisticated technology, and a taste of the Bay Area's cultural connection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Stanford Court San Francisco reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Stanford Court Hotel San Francisco
- Renaissance Hotel San Francisco
- Renaissance San Francisco
- San Francisco Renaissance