“ok......”

GreenLeadersSilver level
reno, nv
“ok......”
Reviewed February 8, 2006

We stayed and the Renaissance for a weekend getaway. To be honest when we checked into the room I almost cried. It was so old, so dingy and I am sure any sort of germ analysis on that bedspread would bring shocking results. For the price and the star rating, I expected soooo much more. However, the lobby was nice, the staff very nice and courteous and the bar nice. The morning coffee delivered to your door was a very nice addition, but not enough to make up for how outdated the room was

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank Cdurling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 21, 2006

We had the best service but a dated room; a beautiful location, but a view of a satellite dish from our window. We had high-speed internet access, but no in-room safe to stow a computer. I don't know if I am a good judge of this hotel because we were here for a conference and received a discounted room rate. Most of the attendees, like us, were accomodated on the second floor. I don't know if the higher floors are nicer, but our room was very dated, although clean. (Too recent to be charmingly antique; too old to be hip.) For example, there was a strange bamboo-framed curtain apparatus over the bed that looked silly. In addition, the bathroom was straight out of the 70s, with a black-and-white swivel TV in the corner. However, the location was great and the service was efficient and friendly. You can make too much of it, I know, but the complimentary coffee and hot chocolate in the morning is a nice touch. Because of the location and service, I have to say I like this hotel, but I will try another when I return to town.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank PJDF
Surrey, England
Reviewed January 13, 2006

The moment we arrived at the hotel, we were impressed with the service. The doormen could not help you enough with unloading luggage and opening doors. On approaching the desk we were assisted straight away very efficiently. They found our booking and said that they would find us a better room, it took less than 5 minutes to check in which is just what we needed after a long journey. Although it was a bit of a trek from the lifts, the room was spacious and clean and the view over the city and bay was magnificent. The room was well equipped and the complimentary coffee and newspaper delivered at the time you specify every morning is a great idea. The only problem we did have was the cost of the drinks in the bar - far too costly so we just drank and ate elsewhere and brought our own drinks in for a nightcap. The hotel also had no problem with us ordering a takeaway and taking it to our room. The location was not really in the tourist area and was a major walk to anywhere, however we hired a car and had it valet parked in the hotel (this was rather costly also but not bad compared to other car parks in the area). A beautiful place to stay with very unintrusive yet efficient service where nothing was too much trouble. Thank you to all the staff.

7 Thank Victoria W
Reviewed December 6, 2005

My friend and I stayed at the Stanford Court for the Thanksgiving holiday from November 24-29. It was our first time in San Francisco. The location is unbeatable - Nob Hill is clean, quiet and cozy, away from all the noise, tourists and panhandlers 4 blocks down the hill in Union Square. I was overall very satisfied by the hotel but I was disappointed in some areas. I have to agree with some of the other reviewers here that the front desk staff is a little cold. Not necessarily rude but just stiff and not very welcoming. They were accommodating when our room wasn't ready even though it was well past the check in time so we ended up in a large corner unit with pretty decent views. The doormen and the housekeeping staff are excellent - we were always happily greeted and they were responsive to our needs.

There were some nice amenities but quite overrated. We had bathrobes which were a nice touch. The heated towel rack didn't do much to heat the towel except in the three spots where the rack hit the towel - maybe my expectation was too high. What I liked much better was the heat lamp which kept the room toasty so you didnt get the chills when you emerged from the shower. The showers are awesome - the water pressure was perfect. I don't usually make showerheads a point in my reviews but it was that memorable! Also, all the beds had the amazing new marriott featherbeds which are just heavenly. The coffee, tea or hot chocolate service in the mornings was nice too but don't expect the beverages to be of high quality.

My friend and I walked almost all of San Francisco. We had dinner in the Union Square area most nights and would trek back up the 4 or 5 blocks uphill to the hotel. We don't exercise but we are from cities where we walk a lot, albeit on flat ground. I would use your own judgement for walking around but you can save a lot of money and see much more by walking.

The public transportation system is confusing because there are 10 different types of public transport serving limited areas. BART seems to be more of a commuter train going out to suburbs with select stops in the city. Buses weren't the best option because it can be confusing for tourists. The cable cars don't go very far and for $5 per one-way ride, it's a total rip-off. There was also some cable train system which was cheap and got us out to Castro but it took a lot of maps and research to get around for cheap. I still recommend walking to most areas and cabbing back at day's end.

I fell in love with San Francisco and I would stay at the Stanford Court again.

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank Pui Chi W
Clovis, California
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Stayed at the hotel the evening of November 19, 2005. I used Marriott points (30,000) and my wife and I were disappointed in a variety of different ways. The room was adequate, but we were unable to regulate the air conditioning system, thus even with the windows open, the room was uncomfortable. Upon check out, the desk clerk advised us that the range of temperature in the rooms is controlled, as to not affect the adjoining rooms. The bathroom had a sliding door, and the wash area only had one sink and limited electrical outlets. The valet parking fee was just under $50.00, steep for even SF prices. The morning coffee service was a nice feature, but certainly didn't make up for the other deficiencies. We would not consider this property for future stays.

• Stayed November 2005
5 Thank ranac1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 18, 2005

The hotel is attractive with a nice entrance. Coffee and hot chocolate are served complimentary with your morning wake-up call. But I was terribly disappointed with the service at the check-in desk.
I waited for about 6 hours to get a room while dozens of other travelers got served. I spoke with 4 clerks and all told me that my room was not ready. Eventually I was told that I should not expect more since I went through Priceline (although I paid over $100 per night for the room). I called the Marriott national number, and they immediately straightened out the problem, apologizing for the treatment I received. Obviously the hotel employees are instructed to treat Priceline customers this way, since every one gave the same type answers.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 3, 2005

San Francisco is not an inexpensive hotel stay. However, with AAA, we got 4 nights for $700 before room charges and tax. Not a bad deal. The rooms were rather small and outdated; however, the rooms were immaculate, house keeping makes up the bed in the am and turns down the bed in the pm. There were bathrobes and towel warmers. The service was exceptional! No one was uptight, and they were all willing to go the extra mile. It was a 5 minute walk down the hill to Union Square and less than $10 taxi ride to Fisherman's Wharf and Haight Ashbury. We had dinner at Aqua, down the street, and a hip but overpriced $350 later, we decided to try Fournou's Oven at the hotel the next day. (They have a 10,000 bottle wine celler.) It was $150 for dinner and wine, and the service, portions, and food were both better than at Aqua. I would definitely stay and eat there again!

• Stayed October 2005