“Great hotel and great location”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #54 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel and great location”
Reviewed September 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights and had a great stay.
All of the staff are friendly and the hotel had everything I needed.
Some reviews comment on the noise from cable cars but I had no trouble sleeping despite an outward facing room.
The location is ideal for a tourist as it's pretty central and easily walkable to Union Square, and Fishermans Wharf (although this is about 20-30 minutes). The hotel is right at the peak of a hill so whichever direction you go in you will be travelling uphill to get back at the end of the day. Personally I walked back, but there is the option of the cable car, if you're prepared to queue. The cable car stops just outside the hotel, and is easier to board for going out either to union square or Fishermans wharf than it is for coming home.

Stayed August 2014
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Thank you for the feedback on our hotel. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff. We value your comments and thank you again for taking the time to let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 3, 2014 via mobile

After I checked in & went to my room --- I saw pee all over the toilet seat!!!!! Ugh!!! So GROSS!!!! I have been to many hotels in Asia and Europe, I have never seen such a dirty bathroom like this before! I told the receptionist to change the room and they did it. But if I were a manager, I would come and apologize to the guest but here nothing! even a letter! One more thing, all the used towels were not taken away- they were left right where I hung...luckily that they put the new one for me everyday but I didn't have a place to hang it.

What I like about this hotel are;
-location is good
-doorman is very helpful & friendly
-interior design

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that you were not contacted by a member of the management team as you absolutely should have been. After an comprehensive investigation, we discovered that the solution on the toilet seat was not urine, it was a cleaning product called Orange Force. This is an industrial all-purpose cleaner that we use in our hotel. It has a deep yellow color that can certainly be mistaken for urine if sprayed on a toilet seat. We give our housekeepers the option to use a few different all-purpose cleaners because some cause irritation to certain staff members while others do not. Giving them a choice allows a safer work environment for the housekeeping staff. We have since removed Orange Force as an option for cleaning the toilet area. We also do our part to conserve as much water as possible in San Francisco. We do not change towels each day unless they are left on the floor. These practices are described and posted in the guest bathrooms, in our compendium and on our website. While most guests appreciate this gesture, those who elect not to participate may simply leave their towel on the floor. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed September 2, 2014

I made a fairly last minute reservation for the three day weekend. I requested a King Bed and found out the night before that I would need a roll-away. I called and requested this. Upon check-in @4, I received an upgraded room (#847 - FABULOUS view) and once again asked about the bed. It was not in the room when I got there, but appeared moments after my call to inquire about it. This room was nicely appointed and most of all had a GREAT view!!

It was minutes from my son's new apartment (reason for being there), as well as some other notable tourist spots.

I would have preferred two sinks and less space for luggage, but the complimentary water (daily), as well as the excellent service more than made up for that slight inconvenience.

This hotel has been in SF for a long time and has a lot to offer.

Room Tip: Room 847 had an incredible view. Though you hear the cable cars even on the 8th floor, it was not e...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am happy that we were able to accommodate your request. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to see your son.
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed September 1, 2014

I booked a premium view king room. I was originally given a room on the fifth floor with a view of rooftop air conditioning units and promptly returned to the front desk. I explained that I was expecting a bay view on a high floor and was happy that the staff was able to accommodate that request without additional hassle by moving me to the 8th floor with a room on the California street side. Lobby feels very trendy and modern and recently updated. The hallways to the rooms, however, feel dated and do not really match the rooms or lobby. Feels a bit like they are in transition. Fantastic location if you want to be near the wharf, Chinatown, the financial district, and union square. Be warned that you are on the cable car line and city noise is definitely an issue. Didn't bother me but will if you are a light sleeper and want a city/bay view. Limited services available at the hotel-no room service and only light fare at the hotel bar. Expect to use cabs and cable cars here-very steep hike up nob hill. Seems to cater more to couples and business travelers, didn't see any children. Overall- clean, comfortable with a pleasant staff. Nice to be near everything but feel a little removed from the craziness of the city.

Room Tip: 7th or 8th floors on the California side will give you a view of the Fairmont roof garden, the bay b...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience about your recent stay with us. I am glad that the staff was able to accommodate you in a room that you enjoyed! I appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to the Stanford Court in the future.
Crownsville, Maryland
Reviewed September 1, 2014

We have stayed at the Stanford probably a half dozen times in the last ten years or so. We knew the hotel had changed hands some months back and were excited/anxious to see the "new" Stanford. This is a beautiful, elegant hotel in a great location on Nob Hill. Cable car stop right on the corner with short rides to Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown, Embarcadero, etc. The hotel is well appointed and very clean. Staff as ever is attentive, friendly and very professional. Kudos to Steve in reception for his helpful service and some good restaurant recommendations, and for Jorge in the lounge for his friendly and attentive service. Now, unfortunately, for the disappointing part. The Stanford used to have a wonderful, 5 star restaurant. Fornos was first rate, and a destination and not just for people staying at the hotel. Open for breakfast (so good!), lunch and dinner, in a glass-front room that looked out over the city. Closed up, and appears from the street to be (somewhat messy) offices! What a waste! There is now what is called a Café and Lounge in the bar area. They are open for breakfast from 7 to 10:30 a.m. Breakfast is pastries and some breakfast sandwiches, and a very long line. There has got to be a better way to set that up! From 10:30 to 5 p.m., nothing! No lunch, and as there is no longer a snack bar or gift shop, there is no food or drink available at the hotel for 6 1/2 hours. We were told about restaurants for lunch at the hotels across the street and next door! Very strange.... The bar/lounge opens up at 5 p.m., closes at midnight. High tables, and some comfy couches and chairs. The tables all had Ipads, and there were computers (free) on the perimeter. Seemed to be some kind of theme that they were tech savy. Honestly we would have been more happy with a nice restaurant and some atmosphere. They have a good wine list and cocktails. The limited menu is appetizers, a few salads and sandwiches. I do have to say that the food that was served was very fresh and was good. Lastly, was somewhat difficult to identify the hotel employees at first until we realized they were all wearing levi jeans! Never seen that in an up-scale hotel before! Stanford is still a beautiful historic building, with nice rooms and an excellent staff. Amenities are unfortunately, sorely lacking. Having been there when everything was spot-on, very disappointing.

Room Tip: Pets are allowed. Free WI-FI. Exercise room, good equipment available. Higher rooms have bette...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Etta B
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that Steve was able to assist you in navigating the plethora of great restaurants in the city. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and service from our kitchen. Thank you for your valuable feedback on our kitchen hours and uniforms as we continue to strive to meet the needs of the modern traveler.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 30, 2014

My friend & I were planning a girls getaway in S.F. for 2 nights. I called the hotel & booked what I thought according to the woman booking the room to be a Suite that contained a room wth 2 double beds & a separate room with table and seating. I also requested a room with a water view. It was listed on my bill as Studio Suite - Two Double beds. When we got there there was no separate room with table & seating!!! It was all in one very crampted room & If you stood on your tippytoes you had a water view!!! I immediately called the desk before unpacking and asked for a different room!!! The Man at the desk said that I was out of luck because that is what they consider a Junior Suite!!! There was no offer to discount our room!!! There were no Robes, no Room Service,. It was an akward setup for 2 women to comfortabley share!!! When I checked out I told the man at the desk I was not happy with my experience here & he gave me the card for tripadviser.com!!! There used to be a great spot in a solarium in their bar/restuarant that you could have a drink & watch both lines of cable cars go by. It was magical!! Now it is someone's office!!! What a shame that that gem of the hotel was not preserved so more peole could enjoy it as much as my husband & I did thoughout our trips to San Francisco!!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy B
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding in the room description. I appreciate your feedback and I want to thank you again for bringing this matter to my attention.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Stayed in San Fran for a conference in Chinatown. Great Nob Hill location (wear good shoes). Easy to get around. Room was clean, neat, nicely decorated and a good size. I would stay there again and the price was better than many around it. I'm also probably pickier than most about hotels.

• Stayed July 2014
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!