“First Class”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I got an excellent rate via Expedia.
Never heard of this Hotel before. I was satisfied alone with the price... but when I arrived at the Hotel, I was immediately impressed with every aspect that this establishment had to offer.
We arrived at 11 am and check-in is 3 pm. However, the front desk advised me that they had a room available and at no extra charge I was in my room at 11 am. They serve complimentary starbucks coffee and morning champaigne in the lobby. The ammenities are remarkable and so many details that I can not explain here. I forgot my shaving cream and razor; the front desk had them delivered to me within 5 minutes. The staff is absolutely friendly and the whole place had a friendly and welcoming!
The location is right off Powell street so the trolley is literally right outside the hotel. Very convenient to Fishermans Wharf, sNobb Hill, and The Mall.
I highly recommend this hotel to everyone!!! M&U

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,878)

Reviewed October 16, 2008

Had a recent 5 night stay at this hotel and I have to say, I found every aspect of the stay flawless.

My room was large, clean and well equipped. The bed comfortable, and the other furnishings were well chosen too. The bathroom was great, with nice toiletries and a powerful shower. Staff were unfailingly helpful and willing to go that extra mile, and the recent renovations made the place have that extra sparkle of "newness" that pushed the hotel up to the top of the league.

The location isn't particularly friendly if you aren't able to walk hills - that must be said. All roads to this hotel are very steep, but there is little the hotel can do about the topography. However cabs are plentiful, and a town car service is offered on a first-come, first serve basis by the hotel in the morning which can leave you anywhere in town. The cable car lines also stop right outside - and the California/Van Ness cars are generally quieter and easy to get on, so head to the Embarcadero and take it all the way up the hills if you are heading back to the hotel!

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, and I hope that I get to go back there pretty soon!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I used priceline and paid $115- so inexpensive. The check in rep. offered me a view on the 3rd floor (highest priceline option) which may have cable car noise, or an interior room. I chose the view and the windows were so well insulated that the noise was no problem (and I am a very light sleeper). The view was great because the hotel is on top of a hill.

The room was huge and gorgeous. The staff was professional and friendly. The location was excellent and all the public areas were we appointed. They had evening free champaign (unlimited). The parking was an insult (over $50 w/tax), but the Masonic Events Center two short blocks away had it for $30 (a fair price in this city).

I would definately recommend this hotel.

Reviewed October 6, 2008

I selected the hotel as the Marriott property in San Francisco closest to the area I wanted to visit. We used points for the stay. The day we checked in (early, at 1pm) the desk was great. Had a room ready, but asked if we preferred to wait for a King room with a view, to be ready at 3pm (normal check-in). We waited, but they had the room ready before 2. It was perfect. I don't know about the other rooms, but 349 had a nice view, was like brand new, was large for a city room and had a very nice decor. After reading previous reviews I checked for tub mold right away. Saw nothing but clean white marble. While we waited the concierge offered us help in finding a dinner reservation. He made some suggestions and loaned us his huge volume of menus to browse. It was the first day for the new lobby lounge/restaurant. They were limited to beer and wine, and a bit slow there, but I am not sure if they had even planned to be open at all that day. The place was beautiful. Sure maybe they could have integrated a few more antiques into the super-up-to- date decor as a nod to the historic nature of the hotel, but it is still stunning. Not trying quite so hard to be hip as say a W. Checking out, we forgot to call for the car. Valet had it in 2 minutes anyway, even with several others arriving for cars at same moment. One valet handed us comp bottles of water as he tucked us into the car, the other stopped traffic for us to exit onto the street. I joked to my husband that they had some nerve, as they forgot to bow to us as we drove away. They clearly want to make up for any poor reviews they had while renovating. Downside? If they keep this up, they will be booked solid if I ever want to come back!

Reviewed October 4, 2008

I must admit I had no baseline of this hotel before the rennovation so I arrived with an open mind. Often one can tell by employee interaction if the property is synrchronized, and as evidenced by the smiles, the tenue of employees, and the care and feeding the employees give to this grand old property, it's not just another prefabricated downtown highrise.

The color scheme throughout the hotel is bright and cheery and much time was spent reusing some of the stately elements rarely found in a business hotel. From the beautiful stained glass to the marble in my bathroom, it was nice to see how much time was spent preserving the past.

Since older hotels tend to have smaller rooms, I was surprised at how someone had taken the time to plan out a space to provide today's basics, large flat screen television, comfortable computer desk, and LOTS of electrical outlets for phone chargers, computers, and all the other gadgets we carry.

The restaurant I understand was previously located downstairs and was more in keeping with the older, darker established restaurant theme. The restaurant has been moved to the main level, where the marble floor shines and the LITTLE PLATE menu is perfect for those of us who do not want a large slab of steak before we retire to bed. I understand in the near future their bar will offer an extensive collection of top end wines by the glass, and the executive chef personally stopped by to inquire about my dinner - you can tell he is a stickler for details and customer experience.

I opt to take a taxi to my downtown hotel and then take taxis to my meetings, as parking on the hills is not one of my favorite things. As a bonus, this hotel offers is the availability of two car services during the day that will take you for what you would pay for a taxi to most destinations within the City. I used the service and was very impressed with the cleanliness of the cars and courtesy of the drivers.

Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel; it's a treat for us business travelers that are used to the cookie-cutter chain hotel accomodations, and I would also stay at this hotel while on holiday.

The Stanford Court is a grand hotel, with boutique charm, and wonderful service.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Me and my wife stayed in the Stanford Court 4 days, then I went to Wine Country and Carmel and returned for more 3 days. And both of my stays were very pleasant.

The renovation was almost done, and did not bothered we at all.....and in the end of our stay we could see part of the new lobby already.

The rooms were fully renovated very good with all the ammenities you'll find in a 4 star hotel.

If you want a silent room ask for a courtyard view room. You will lost the partial bay area view, but won't get annoyed by the cable cars bell (they run until 12 PM)

The staff is absolutely friendly from the front desk to the house keeping staff, everybody was naturally warm.

Other special point was the attention we had from the master concierge, Mr. Ric Lee, who help us with the reservations in some of the best restaurants, and they also helped me with flowers for my wife's birthday.

The only con I can say was the US$45/day parking, except for that everything else was great.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VittorioRullo
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We recently stayed at the Stanford Court on Nob Hill in San Francisco. It has just undergone a major renovation. Unfortunately the rooms are extremely small and the closet is in the bathroom. We were unable to get breakfast at the hotel and our TV didn't work most of one day -all we got was excuses. This hotel does not now live up to its old reputation for excellence. There are many good hotels in San Francisco and this is not one of them. The Stanford Court has 4 star prices and 2 star service.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business