“Nob Hill = Steep Hill”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver
“Nob Hill = Steep Hill”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I should have thoroughly reviewed everyone's reviews on this hotel before booking. There's no major complaints expect that it sits on top of Nob Hill. I'm not completely out of shape but it was a killer! My husband and I arrived early Thursday morning and when we got there we had to wait a bit (about an hour) for a room to be available. The bed has a feather topper and also feather pillows which I wasn't a fan of but that's just my preference. The bathroom was big enough and there was a towel warmer so that was a plus. This hotel isn't a full service hotel as mention by other reviewers, meaning there's no room service, no spa or anything others may offer. They do have a small dinning and bar area off to the side of the lobby but with service hours (breakfast cut off at 10am and dinner at 11pm). The food was actually not too bad. We dined there for dinner twice as the hills and walking around was killing us. If you do decide to dine there for dinner, do the burger and pull pork. The portions were HUGE and totally worth the price tag. If you miss breakfast there's a little cafe across the way at the Fairmont. Lots of cable cars going up and down. Most reviewers mention that the cable cars are bit nosiey at night but it typically stopped around midnight if you have a room facing the street. The hotel does provide you with ear plugs if needed. I didn't notice it but it was probably because I was sleeping like the dead from my treks up and down Nob Hill.

Pros:
Great view
Chinatown just blocks away
Zip cars available
Free WiFi

Cons:
Not a lot of casual dining in the area (my bad for only bringing bummy clothes)

Quick Note:
From SFO to Stanford if you take a cab beware there's an additional $2 charge on top of the regular cab fare. I wouldn't recommend trying to "Bart" your way to the city, but if you do tickets are about $8 for one way and $12 for round trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and all of the amenities available to you. The hills do take some getting used to, but the views from up here are second to none! Thank you again for your comments. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2014

A great hotel at reasonable rates for the centre of a major, cosmopolitan city. The welcome was good, facilities perfect for my stay and I even got a free upgrade on arrival without request. The only small problem I had with the room I was given was that the cable car bells rang until the very early hours, but the hotel thought of that and provided me with ear plugs. Shame I didn't find them until the last day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the cable cars
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you had such a pleasant experience on your recent stay. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Highland Village, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2014

There are so many diverse neighborhoods, attractions, and dining options in San Francisco, that it is somewhat of a task deciding on location. In comparison to two other neighborhoods, Nob Hill has been my favorite simply due to the proximity of some of my favorite sites and easy access to public transportation.

We've also stayed at the "Hotel" across the street (80's pop culture pun intended), so the bar was set high for the Stanford Court. Was somewhat apprehensive walking down the hall... carpet looked like it came from the 80's, but was pleasantly surprised by the room. Our room faced California Street, so my only caution is that if you are an insomniac, ask for a room that does not face Hyde or California. I'll include a picture from our window so that you can see the proximity of the route. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom spacious enough. Room was clean. The concierge suite was adequate for breakfast. A solid choice if you want to stay on Nob Hill and find a good deal on a room. I wouldn't advise paying full asking price- at that price point you may be disappointed.

If this is your first time to SF and you choose to stay on Nob Hill, the following paragraph is just my tips concerning this neighborhood. A multi-day pass for MUNI is a great value for this location. 3 cable car routes stop directly in front of the hotel. You will never have trouble getting on the California car (Embarcadero to VanNess), but you may find both Powell cars pretty full, as the hotel is in the middle of the routes- I guess it just depends on the time of day and time of year (Dec was no problem, July was a no-go no matter the time of day). If you walk a few blocks down to Stockton (or take California car downhill), you can catch the 30-Stockton bus, which is a terrific ride through the heart of Chinatown, through the North Beach area, and down to the Marina District. If you continue pass Stockton to the end of Market Street, you can catch a BART route to the Mission District. And lastly, there are several bus options for getting to Golden Gate park. If you don't want to stray far for dinner, Chinatown is next door. The Tonga Room is right across the street- touristy and I'm sure to some, kitschy- we think it's a great time that you should experience at least once in your life. Read up on the history- great story. One of my favorite Thai restaurants, Thai Thai Noodle is the opposite direction, on California, 5 blocks down. Fantastic soup. Lunch options- the famous Swan Oyster Depot is 6 blocks away if you want to try that out. But my absolute favorite place to eat is the Ferry Building/Farmers Market- ride the California car straight down to the bay and walk across Embarcadero and you are there. The Ferry Building has many great dining options- restaurant or picnic treats. The farmer's market is Tues/Thur/Sat. Great street food options on Thurs and Saturday- greatest selection on Saturday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Moments4Life
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you for your review and helpful tips that I’m sure our future guests will find very informative! We are lucky to be in such a prime location as Nob Hill, ideal for everyone, from the avid to first-time SF traveler, as your post illustrates. Thank you again for taking the time to review us, I look forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco!
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This hotel was great the last time I stayed about 3 years ago. Apparently it has new owners, and the standards have really dropped. The staff looked shabbily dressed, and not up to a professional standard. Their appearance really surprised my wife and I. The hotel lobby always seemed full of airline crew checking in and out, which wasn't a great look for leisure guests like ourselves. Front office staff seemed unprofessional and not trained to a 4 or 5 star level. Room cleaning standards were ok. Pluses for the hotel were location, room size, business facilities in the lobby. My previous nights were spent at the excellent Sofitel LA, and the difference in the level of service and professionalism with the Stanford Court was glaring. Would definitely choose another hotel for our next SF visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Our staff is dedicated to upholding the highest level of service and professionalism and I’m very sorry that you experienced otherwise. We greatly appreciate your feedback, your comments have been acknowledged and will help us continue to improve on ways to please and impress our guests
Washington DC
Reviewed June 9, 2014

not a place to stay if you are planning to walk about in SF. The walk up from Van Ness or Financial district to hotel is steep. Even going to Chinatown, which 2/3 way down the hill would
be a strenuous walk. Location is central in that it is close to Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf and union square. The hotel is not a full-service. There is no room service. Service staff is good. Check-in is fast, getting valet service anytime of the day is also nice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JenziWanderer
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I am glad that our staff helped to make your stay a pleasant one. We value your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to serve you better in the future
Danville
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Whenever I stay in the city I always try and stay at this place. Perfect location. Updated rooms and great service all the time from the front desk personnel, bar tenders, bell-man and even the valet men who greet you when you walk in. Clean rooms, extremely comfortable bed and great distance to anywhere you might want to go in the city.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
It was wonderful to have you with us! The staff is delighted to hear of your kind comments of them. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Stanford Court!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The Stanford Court is about 3/4 of the way up the slope of California Street on Nob Hill which makes it a challenging walk to and from nearby cable car stops if you're not wearing flats. But it's also in a place that makes it very easy to walk to landmarks and tourist attractions, and you don't have to walk up or down the whole hill. So, there's that. My room was smaller than I'm accustomed to, but beautifully designed in a serene color palate, and it had a postcard like view of victorian homes, skyscrapers and cable cars from its large windows. They also offer complimentary glasses of champagne in the lobby around 5 o'clock. I've never seen that anywhere. It's a very nice touch. A lovely "lagniappe" for guests heading out for the evening. Not a lot of SF atmosphere inside this hotel, and for the price, which was just a bit lower than the Fairmont San Francisco directly across the street, I was expecting more. It's an ok experience, but not the best value among "luxury" hotels in The City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit. I agree that our location cannot be beat! Your feedback is important to us in helping us to continue improving the atmosphere and comfort of the hotel. I hope that your next visit will reflect positive changes.