“Great Stay in a Classic Hotel”

Stanford Court San Francisco
Ranked #66 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our stay was perfect from beginning to end. Courteous, friendly staff. Lovely room with very nice amenities. Sweet surprise of 2 chilled water bottles in our car when we checked out. Classic charm with modern touches (Twitter hash tags used everywhere--cute idea). A great place to stay for our anniversary weekend celebration!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star experience with us. I hope to welcome you back on your next momentous occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,986)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We got a great rate on Expedia and were very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Great location on Nob Hill, a few blocks north of Union Square. Hotel seems to have been fairly recently refurbished in the public areas on the ground floor and our room was also very nice, so as long as you can ignore the corridors which are a throw-back to tasteless design from the 70s (but I am sure will be fixed in time), this is a really good option to be close to everything in a comfortable hotel. Suspect rooms on the outside of the building may be noisy from the cable cars and traffic, but ours facing into the internal courtyard was very quiet. Would definitely stay again if I got a similar rate.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Thank you for your comments. Plans for the corridors are in the works. I hope will find these improvements to your liking on your next visit!

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

This place is conveniently located - You can walk to most tourist places and also to office locations in Financial District so this place was perfect for my combined business and pleasure trip. Rooms are a bit small but it wasnt a problem for me and my family since we werent in the hotel much - we spent our time exploring the city (fishermans wharf, nob hill, north beach, lombard street, telegraph hill, coit tower, et ). Place is a bit noisy before 10 pm but it gets a bit qiueter after the cable cars stop coming by. The gym is nice and has pull up machine. I would stay here again.

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your visit to San Francisco. I look forward for the opportunity to welcome you back!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Come back from a two night trip as a Virgin Atlantic crew companion. Hotel was great with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!

Great location, only a short walk to Union Square and bars and restaurants

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that our beds were just right for you. I hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We booked the Stanford Court using airline miles to defray most of the cost.

The location on Nob Hill was active but away from the crowded hotel scene down the hill.

Our room was ready when we arrived at 1pm. The hotel is clean and modern and our room on the 8th floor met our expectations.

The mini fridge was empty but I took that as a positive so we could store our own water and snacks. Speaking of water, it was only $1 a bottle at the front desk (better than the usual exorbitant prices).

The concierge desk was very helpful recommending transit routes to make the most of our 7 day transit pass (also a bargain).

There is no room service but we had no problem ordering from a neighborhood Thai restaurant. The lobby restaurant could open a bit earlier than 6:30am but there is great coffee just across the street at Cafe Centro.

Overall it was a great stay.

1  Thank Rob F
Michael B, General Manager at Stanford Court San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Thank you for your taking the time to review us. I am glad you found our amenities and location ideal for a savvy traveler such as yourself. I hope for the pleasure to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel shouldn't have more than 3 stars. Small rooms with no wardrobes, small double beds, awfully noisy air condition ( all guests comment about it) and no room service, even nearby restaurants refuse to deliver to this address. The staff are particularly bad they see you and look away not to even say hello to you and the reception staff couldn't be less willing to help. Shame because the hotel is a beautiful building in a great location but so badly managed that makes you hate the place.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank JL24601

Thank you for your comments. I am deeply sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I’m sorry that you felt our staff to be shy. I assure you that our staff works hard to provide a warm and inviting atmosphere for all our guests, and I’m very sorry that you experienced otherwise. We strive to provide our guests with the highest level of customer service, and I appreciate your feedback in helping to address areas that need attention.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for five nights during our school spring break in April. From the moment we arrived to the day we left, we were treated extremely well by all staff! The front desk people,the concierge, the doormen, and wait staff in breakfast room were all very polite and helpful. The rooms were beautiful, with old world charm and elegance, and modern conveniences. The bed was extremely comfortable, the pillows, however, were a bit too soft for my taste. The bathroom was huge, with marble counters, tile floor and a much appreciated full length mirror. It was kept very clean by room staff, and always replenished with fresh towels and toiletries. I appreciated the empty bar fridge as opposed to a mini bar. The room was very well lit, with reading lights by the bed. I had a premium view room, which looked out over a very busy Powell Street, and had a great view of the bay. While the street could get very noisy with the cable cars and sirens, I soon got used to it and it never kept me awake at night. While this hotel does not have a full service restaurant or room service, they do have breakfast choices and plenty of seating next to the lobby, and we were able to get food and drinks from the bar after a late night trip from Alcatraz. Super fast and free wifi alone makes this hotel a great choice! The location is really good, as it's a short walk to Chinatown, Union Square and many great restaurants. It is at the top of a very steep hill, but the walk up several times a day served as a fantastic workout! if I ever return to SF, and I hope I do, I would certainly choose the Stanford Court again!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I look forward to your next visit back!